Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #3,122 of 5,388
I own a HE1000SE and I really like it so far. However, I am still running the headphone directly on my iPad, which is not very convenient.
Now I have the chance to buy an used T+A HA200 for a really good price and I am wondering, if this amp would be a good match for my HE1000SE.

Currently, the HEKSE is connected to my small Cayin RU6 - and sounds tremendous.
Maybe he plays you then on a T+A HA200 in other dimensions?
:L3000:

IMG_2820.jpeg

Many greetings from Bavaria to Germany!
:beerchug:

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #3,123 of 5,388
Hi there!

I own a HE1000SE and I really like it so far. However, I am still running the headphone directly on my iPad, which is not very convenient.
Now I have the chance to buy an used T+A HA200 for a really good price and I am wondering, if this amp would be a good match for my HE1000SE.

It seems that the lowest output impedance the HA200 can be set to is 8 Ohm. With the HE1000SE having an impedance of 35 Ohm, this pairing would be a violation of the 1/8th impedance rule.

What do you think? Has anyone tested the HA200 / HE1000SE combo? Is it still a good one, despite the 1/8th rule mismatch?
I have the HA200 and HEKse and it is a superb match. For planar HPs the 1/8 rule does not really apply, as the impedance of planars is flat, unlike dynamic HPs or hybrid IEMs. So it does not effect the frequency response.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #3,124 of 5,388
I know that the HEKSE sounds good with amplifiers that have a low output impedance. However, I wasnot sure wheter it sounds also good on amplifiers with a high minimum output impedance, like the HA200 with 8 Ohm as its lowest setting.

Thanks for your answers! No I am really considering the HA200 for my HEKSE.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #3,126 of 5,388
I know that the HEKSE sounds good with amplifiers that have a low output impedance. However, I wasnot sure wheter it sounds also good on amplifiers with a high minimum output impedance, like the HA200 with 8 Ohm as its lowest setting.

Thanks for your answers! No I am really considering the HA200 for my HEKSE.
@irishnutter also has the same HEKse + HA200 duo.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #3,127 of 5,388
@irishnutter also has the same HEKse + HA200 duo.
Yes, I'm very happy with this combo as well - although I think between the tone controls, impedance control and the digital filter options, the HA-200 will synergize well with many headphones.

I recently added the Norne Vygarde cable and it elevates this combo even further IMHO. The cable adds a vividness across the entire frequency spectrum and excels in soundstage separation with an extremely black background. It seems to remove some of the occasional wispiness of the HEKse and improves the warmth. I'm not sure that it's adding quantity to the upper bass/lower midrange as much as just letting you hear it more clearly.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #3,128 of 5,388
I would descriptive the HE1000se as very open and revealing with a flat frequency with only a minor dip between 500 Hz and 2 KHz. The dip is indeed minor and I would guess around -1 dB. The minor dip is however notable because many instruments and voices have their foundation at this frequency. The treble is clear as a day but with the “wrong” upstream gear or records it can be a bit rough. Susvara for example is smoother and more forgiving on bright and harsh upstream gears and recordings.

The HE1000se will IMO not mate very well with upstream gear that is on the bright and lean side. The rest of our audio gear can either keep, enhance or subdue the sound of the HE1000se.
Does the Susvara have as wide tall and deep a sound stage compared with the HEKse when properly amped?

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #3,130 of 5,388
Does the Susvara have as wide tall and deep a sound stage compared with the HEKse when properly amped?

Susvara have clearly better image and a deeper sound stage compared to the HEKse. This and Susvaras smoother treble is the biggest difference IMO. They have more or less the same wide. Some says HEKse has a little taller soundstage but this nothing I have experience.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,131 of 5,388
New SE owner here. Very pleasantly surprised by this headphone. I've got a warm leaning chain (Innuos Zen 3 > Aqua La Voce 2 > V281, Sablon and Black Cat cabling) and I'm getting lots of satisfying goodness in all the important areas to my ears. Deep bass, dimensional soundstage, full mids, extended highs but not bright or piercing, plus all the dynamics and speed these are known for. For those that may experience brightness, perhaps an upstream change would help. I hate brightness and also play a lot of electronic music, which can definitely go that way. These are sharply defined with lots of treble energy, but haven't veered wincy yet.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #3,132 of 5,388
Did you get the new revision? I am pleasantly surprised about the one I have here which despite the same chain where the brightness was very obvious sounds, is notably better behaved in the treble, more linear/even, cleaner. The first one I had was a 2019 model.
Sure it's not very surprising given the many Arya revisions and the Ananda probably got the same treatment as well but still.

It is still a brighter headphone but it doesn't make me rip it off in disgust anymore. Instead I really enjoy it.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #3,133 of 5,388
I just acquired the HEKse also. After reading and watching all the comments and reviews I was expecting a bright sounding headphone. Instead I found it to be very agreeable to my ears. It certainly has a lot more energy than my OG HE1000, but I find it much more engaging. Happy camper here.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,134 of 5,388
Did you get the new revision? I am pleasantly surprised about the one I have here which despite the same chain where the brightness was very obvious sounds, is notably better behaved in the treble, more linear/even, cleaner. The first one I had was a 2019 model.
Sure it's not very surprising given the many Arya revisions and the Ananda probably got the same treatment as well but still.

It is still a brighter headphone but it doesn't make me rip it off in disgust anymore. Instead I really enjoy it.
HFM mentioned mine was the latest edition. The box says 2021-10-29 on the Chinese PASS label, I assume that means these were made thereabouts. I wasn't aware of revisions -- what were they?

There is definitely a lot of energy in the treble but I was afraid these would be straight up bright based on some people's comments. Thankfully not the case for me.

It certainly has a lot more energy than my OG HE1000, but I find it much more engaging.
I briefly tried the 1000v1 and have yet to compare it directly to the SE, but from memory the SE comes across as more convincing and natural in the treble area.

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #3,135 of 5,388
I own both the Susvara and the HEKse. In my opinion the Susvara is simply a better headphone, but that opinion is based on the fact that the Susvara has better synergy wits my amp (Woo Audio WA33). The HEKse sounds a little brighter in the treble, and not as tight in the bass in comparison to the Susvara. Having said that, I would be very happy if I owned only the HEKse. I literally decided last night that I am going to sell my HEKse (and Audeze LCD-4) precisely because the Susvara sounds better with my amp than the other two headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back