Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #3,061 of 5,388
Thank you! But I'm not a big fan of EQ, some said Arya is treble hot but I was perfectly OK without EQ with Arya. Overall HEkSE is superb but that treble is ruining it. Well recorded songs are OK, but listening to Radio paradise is no go for 90% of time for me. :frowning2: I'm afraid I need to return them and get Susvara or step back to Arya. :frowning2:
HEKse requires some care and feeding to sound its best. As previous posters have commented, that means using copper headphone cables, changing up your amp/DAC, and/or adding EQ.

There are trade-offs to going up or down the Hifiman ladder. If you go up the chain to the Susvara, you trade the low power requirements of the HEKse for a difficult-to-drive headphone that people say sounds best out of speaker amp taps. If you go back down the chain to the Arya, you lose the fantastic resolution and soundstage of the HEKse.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #3,062 of 5,388
HEKse requires some care and feeding to sound its best. As previous posters have commented, that means using copper headphone cables, changing up your amp/DAC, and/or adding EQ.

There are trade-offs to going up or down the Hifiman ladder. If you go up the chain to the Susvara, you trade the low power requirements of the HEKse for a difficult-to-drive headphone that people say sounds best out of speaker amp taps. If you go back down the chain to the Arya, you lose the fantastic resolution and soundstage of the HEKse.
That's an excellent way to view the HEKse vs the Susvara that I never thought of. I've tuned my system to some extent specifically for the HEKse and I think it sounds excellent. I'm always curious about trying out the Susvara, but I would need to change so much about my current setup since they have such different needs. I wonder if anyone has had enough resources to have two separate TOTL chains that each synergize best with the HEKse and Susvara, and then compared them. Wonder how different (or similar) those two theoretical setups would sound.

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #3,064 of 5,388

I'm trying to accommodate me to that sound :) I'm using class A amp and neutral/warm DAC, I've tried my DIY OFC copper cable and didn't find it different that my OCC silver plated one or stock HFM cables. My brain starts to ignore that insane treble slowly...

I like that wide sense of stage that Arya and partly HEkSE deliver, I think Susvara is more intimate in that respect, and that smaller earpads are touching my ears and that bothers me :frowning2: I really enjoy that contact-less feel in this big earpads.

Could downgrade to HEkV2 solve that shrill treble energy?

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #3,066 of 5,388
The schiit lokius works wonders to tone down the treble on the Hekse, its almost like it was made for it
what settings are you applying on lokius to tame HEkSE treble peaks? THX!

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #3,067 of 5,388
I'm trying to accommodate me to that sound :) I'm using class A amp and neutral/warm DAC, I've tried my DIY OFC copper cable and didn't find it different that my OCC silver plated one or stock HFM cables. My brain starts to ignore that insane treble slowly...

I like that wide sense of stage that Arya and partly HEkSE deliver, I think Susvara is more intimate in that respect, and that smaller earpads are touching my ears and that bothers me :frowning2: I really enjoy that contact-less feel in this big earpads.

I wouldn't give up on the HEKse just yet. Make sure they're fully broken in and if necessary keep experimenting with different cables and equipment. Imo the HEKse has an even bigger, deeper and more layered soundstage than the Arya. It's just a slightly different presentation. Vocals are more forward, which at first can make you think the stage is not as deep.

As far as the HEKv2, it's pretty similar to the HEKse tbh. I had both at the same time and compared them on the same chain. The V2 is slightly warmer and more forgiving. The SE is slightly more technical and dynamic. Soundstage size is about the same, although the SE's imaging is a lot more precise.

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #3,068 of 5,388

i was using neutral/warm dac too and v280 and taurus amps. The top end does lose a bit of its sharpness over a bit of time.

I could even not bear to use my norne silver draug cable initially but to my surprise 3 or 4 months later I had no such issue.
I am guessing that would have been 50-100 hours of use...but that is a guess

be patient and you may be rewarded

having said that..i know what you mean re the treble

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,070 of 5,388
I'm curious: Are SE owners generally content with their headphone, or does everyone have aspirations for the Susvara? If you're already at this level of HiFiMan headphones, it seems like the SE can be seen as a waystation until ending at the Susvara. And I hear mixed reports: some who have both or have heard both say the Susvara is at a whole other level, and others say they're actually pretty close, or not different enough to warrant the extra expenditure. I'm pretty happy with the SE (with EQ) for certain listening purposes, but there's always that nagging feeling/'audiophilia nervosa' nudging me to punish my wallet/savings and go for the gold, so to speak. "Welcome to Head-Fi..."

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,071 of 5,388
Speaking personally, and to be taken with more sodium than the dead sea. I've just made the leap, owning SE for a year, then 2-3 days ago having leapt to the Sus. My more complex thoughts are in their formative stage, but I don't regret the leap.

The most definitive litmus test was handing them to my partner, who was deciding if she should castrate me this weekend. She held back tears listening to Midge Ure's cover of the Man Who Sold the World. My member and backup singers have been spared thanks to the power of the Susvara when amp'd as they demand. That's my unhelpful first impressions 🤣

In audiofile nomenclature, the largest differences:-

• I've heard more details brought to the fore, in a more integrated and balanced way, than in any other system that I've had the pleasure of listening to so far.
  • The much deserved naturalness/timbre praise the Susvara received is deserved... ethereal, amazing. Insert any other positive adjectives here.
This said, everyone's audio journey is unique. I was "content" with my Toppings and SE. But with some personal circumstances changing, found myself able to afford to take the leap, started with my amp/DAC and got an XLR adaptor. After some time and some further internal monologues my rational shifted, the change being I now listen for 8hr+ a day with WFH, and with this change the opportunity to buy a Sus at a price I could afford came along at the right time, serendipity at its finest.

Not sure if that helps but that has been my journey, tumbling down the rabbit hole, down the same path you are debating travelling now.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #3,072 of 5,388
I'm curious: Are SE owners generally content with their headphone, or does everyone have aspirations for the Susvara? If you're already at this level of HiFiMan headphones, it seems like the SE can be seen as a waystation until ending at the Susvara. And I hear mixed reports: some who have both or have heard both say the Susvara is at a whole other level, and others say they're actually pretty close, or not different enough to warrant the extra expenditure. I'm pretty happy with the SE (with EQ) for certain listening purposes, but there's always that nagging feeling/'audiophilia nervosa' nudging me to punish my wallet/savings and go for the gold, so to speak. "Welcome to Head-Fi..."
Personally, I love my SE. Of all the headphones in my sig, it has the most unique sound signature. Imaging and soundstage is out of this world w/ my MJ2 and GSX-mini fed by a YGGY. Its also efficient enough to be able to work with a dap. Although i hear the susvara is the ultimate experience, it isnt the easiest to drive. I am thinking about getting the LCD-5 so hopefully that bridge the gap between Susvara and the SE.

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,074 of 5,388
Definitely not the right answer, LCD-5 significantly lack of airy feel compare to both Hifiman.
Then what would you recommend that complement a HE1000se?

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,075 of 5,388
Then what would you recommend that complement a HE1000se?
LCD-4/4Z would be more contrast due to "heavyweight" midrange and bass compare to HE1000SE. Actually at first I about to suggest ZMF VO, but apparently you already own it.

Susvara does different sound character compare to HE1000SE, but if you compare it to other brand, Susvara still in Hifiman's route of sound, thus, more similar than different from HE1000SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back