Hifiman HE1000-SE
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,521 of 5,332
6K for the Susvaras with its level of performance no question would be best served with a proportional approach adding what’s up stream of the dac will most definitely make a difference to what you hear wheather you stream and or rip your music .
Im happy for now with my HEKSEs and have no immediate plans of replacing them though I could easily and finally I’ll mention Im not getting any annoying peeky treble from my 1000SEs what’s that about?

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,522 of 5,332
To me the HEKse sits right in the middle of the Susvara and HEK V2. The HEKse’s incorporate a lot of the V2‘s buttery smooth, full sound and adds more resolution and speed with some tech borrowed from the Susvara’s. Compared to V2’s there’s more clarity throughout the frequency spectrum especially in the midrange. The bass may not be as big or rounded but it’s more defined, with better layering and definition. HEKse’s also has a bit of a sub bass boost and with more bass extension.

The treble on the HEKse’s also have more clarity and air, but it’s not uneven. The HEKse sort has an estat treble presentation that may take some getting use too. It‘s even more holographic sounding than the V2’s approaching Susvara territory. The treble and sound in general of the HEKse’s can be made better with an upgraded cable. I’m using the Lavricables Grand and love the pairing. Whatever peakiness that some are hearing with the stock cable is gone.

To me, the improvements are worth it over the HEK V2’s and the sound of the HEKse’s do get better over time. It gets fuller and the treble settles does even more. The best part is they are easier to drive than the Susvara and HEK V2’s. So you get their incredible sound out of any source, but they do scale.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,523 of 5,332
To me the HEKse sits right in the middle of the Susvara and HEK V2. The HEKse’s incorporate a lot of the V2‘s buttery smooth, full sound and adds more resolution and speed with some tech borrowed from the Susvara’s. Compared to V2’s there’s more clarity throughout the frequency spectrum especially in the midrange. The bass may not be as big or rounded but it’s more defined, with better layering and definition. HEKse’s also has a bit of a sub bass boost and with more bass extension.

The treble on the HEKse’s also have more clarity and air, but it’s not uneven. The HEKse sort has an estat treble presentation that may take some getting use too. It‘s even more holographic sounding than the V2’s approaching Susvara territory. The treble and sound in general of the HEKse’s can be made better with an upgraded cable. I’m using the Lavricables Grand and love the pairing. Whatever peakiness that some are hearing with the stock cable is gone.

To me, the improvements are worth it over the HEK V2’s and the sound of the HEKse’s do get better over time. It gets fuller and the treble settles does even more. The best part is they are easier to drive than the Susvara and HEK V2’s. So you get their incredible sound out of any source, but they do scale.
I see , ,..I’m completely new to using headphones and purchased my HEKSEs used from a very nice member here on Headfi .

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,524 of 5,332
I see , ,..I’m completely new to using headphones and purchased my HEKSEs used from a very nice member here on Headfi .
They are great headphones!

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #2,525 of 5,332
As I use my He1000se primarily with tube amps, I find the synergy perfect. Even with v280 and Taurus I love it because those 2 amps are slightly warm, the v280 more so than the Taurus.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,526 of 5,332
Yes, after reading others' impressions, it seems like slightly warm solid state amps pair best with the HEKse. I personally really like pairing with my GS-X Mini, but the V281/0, Taurus, Phonitor X all should pair well. Has anyone listened to HEKse with higher end ss amps? I haven't heard any beyond the ~2k range.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,527 of 5,332
Yes, after reading others' impressions, it seems like slightly warm solid state amps pair best with the HEKse. I personally really like pairing with my GS-X Mini, but the V281/0, Taurus, Phonitor X all should pair well. Has anyone listened to HEKse with higher end ss amps? I haven't heard any beyond the ~2k range.
Using w/ DSHA-3F here -- very good pairing.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,528 of 5,332
Using w/ DSHA-3F here -- very good pairing.
Looks awesome, I love the design of it. I wonder what wood might match the HEKse veneer the best - something like a Zircote or Bocote. Looks like something Zach would make if he made solid state amps. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it if upgradeitus creeps in again.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2,529 of 5,332
I have the XI Audio Formula S and it's stellar with my HEKse's

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,530 of 5,332
Looks awesome, I love the design of it. I wonder what wood might match the HEKse veneer the best - something like a Zircote or Bocote. Looks like something Zach would make if he made solid state amps. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it if upgradeitus creeps in again.
Zachary of ZMF uses the Sparkos Lab Aries not only to test every single headphone he produces , I understand this is his personal favourite SS amplifier. Personality I like the Sparkos lab very much for it’s transparency of the upstream components and recording ,,..I’ll add the Aries is a huge bang for the buck .

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,531 of 5,332
i mentioned last month that a driver failed on my hekse. No problem hifiman told me to send it in and they would replace it under warranty

i did and it has been exactly three weeks since it arrived and even though i email hifiman customer service once a week asking about it, my replacement unit still has not shipped

Can you help me out @TeamHiFiMAN ?

hifiman customer service has always been great but i am not getting much help with any idea why it hasn’t shipped yet or when i should expect it (except “as soon as possible”)

thanks
peter t

updated info: hifiman got back to me with more info: they tell me they are currently out of stock but stock should be arriving in about a week. So hopefully all should be good very soon, based on that info

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2,533 of 5,332
My headphone setup is slowly coming together. I now have the HE1000se's paired with a Violectric v590 using Norne Vykari cables. The v590 and Vykari just came in over the last few days so I'm holding off on any judgment for a bit. I'm currently using my iBasso DX220 MAX as a music transport into the v590 but I think I'm going to switch this out for a Bluesound Node 2i since the iBasso isn't the most convenient to use as a transport. Eventually, I may look at getting either the Schiit Yggdrasil or the Denafrips Pontus. If anyone has any thoughts on either of these DACs and how they pair with the HE1000se's that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3345.jpeg
    IMG_3345.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,534 of 5,332
Congrats @dkar that's a combination you can be happy with. I haven't heard the v590 with He1000se yet but I've paired that headphone with v280, Auralic Taurus Mk2, Elekit TU-8500 / TU-8200 and Oblivion... even Wa22.... using Yggdrasil or Bifrost 2 as dac.

My son loves the He1000se and v280 so much that he's thinking of selling his Arya and buying the He1000se. I thought that combination is right on the money too.

I have owned the He1000se since 1st Jan 2021 and every day I am still astonished at what I'm hearing. iPhone will drive the He1000se but don't do that headphone this injustice. The better the dac and amp and ones that has synergy with that headphone and it will become He1,000,000se. :relaxed:

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,535 of 5,332
On Hifiman HE1000 V2, pads are a disaster.
- fake PU leather whatever is flaking after 2 years of VERY light use
- Hifiman graciously changed it under warranty, BUT new pads have half less clips than previous pads,
which makes clicking it back on a NIGHTMARE. On pic, left is new model ; right is previous model.

I'm now chasing replacement pads from 3d parties. I've found Accessory House in the UK which makes excellent
real leather pads for TH900 I use.

These OEM pads from Hifiman on a 3000 € heads are bordering scandalous.

My Ultrasone real leather pads are absolutely pristine after 5 years of use.

Hifiman really needs to clean their act here.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpeg
    IMG_4122.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back