Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,401 of 5,253
@UntilThen what do you think changing from CMA 12 to Bifrost 2 in your system?

Not long ago I and three of my friends able to compare Gungnir Multibit and CMA 12 Master (As dac) to feed ALO Studio Six. Tested with Verite and Diana V2, we felt a bit surprised that CMA 12 Master still able to fight back fairly. Of course, cost wise Gumby is more worth it when we use as DAC standalone.

Schiit wins in term of soundstage, micro detail and low extension, with more relax (laidback) character. While Questyle is slight more precise in decay, impact (through all spectrum), and more energy overall.

I haven't heard Bifrost2 yet so can only go from reviews. I have been using CMA 12 (not your Master version which is better) as dac and as amp for the last 26 days and it has serve me well. With no Yggy (300 kms away) to compare side by side, my impression of CMA 12 dac is that it's doing it's job very well. Clear, precise and not bright. Can't ask for more than that.

I'm changing because a Bifrost2 black 4 months old came up for sale and it's cheap and I thought it would be a good time to get it as a 2nd dac with Yggy. I don't need the all in one CMA 12 even though it sound really good as a stand alone with He1000se. I will miss the Questyle sound. It's rather classy with a tint of slight warmth but very clear.

So now I have Yggdrasil, Mjolnir 2 and Bifrost2 plus the other amps. :) Oh in the amps comparison using Hekse, LF339i was my fav, followed by v280 / Wa22 and Questyle CMA 12. MJ2 was unplaced but I'm keeping it.... for now. :wink:

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,402 of 5,253
For me, I never thought that I needed to fine tune Hekse. Sounds just right to me. I'll probably mess it up if I attempt to EQ it.

and I agree... if I have to EQ it then I won't own it. Dr Fan has produce his signature tone on it so that's how I'll use it.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,403 of 5,253
I'm looking to get either the Empyreans or the HKse. I'm concerned with the amount of EQing that's required for the HKse and if it'll work well for the genres I typically listen to. I mostly listen to folk, rock, pop and the occasional classical.

Auditioning the headphones isn't an option at the moment given the COVID situation so I'll be buying blind.

I'll be pairing whatever headphone I buy with a Norne Silvergarde S4 cable and the iBasso DX220 MAX DAP.

I'm coming from only having IEMs (Campfire Solaris SE is the primary IEM I use at the moment).

Thoughts?
To my ears HEKse Sound good out of anything be it tube or SS, I like the Empyreans out of the TT2/HMS (high gain)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #2,404 of 5,253
This is worth a read - google translate is my friend
https://musicalhead.de/2018/11/20/t...meze-empyrean-audeze-lcd4z-mrspeakers-ether2/

they are two different sounds

the empyrean is the only headphones that i had to eq when i had them. About +3db at 1khz. Others say the same thing.

ymmv

for me:
hekse great detail and precision sound staging.
Empyrean good detail with rich fuller tones particular in mids amd lower end.

hekse is brighter up top

hekse sounds great out of anything. For me, i mean anything, eg iphone.

Really depends on what sound you are after.

Thanks for sharing the link. I read through it but I don't know if it provides me any more clarity especially given the music that was used in the review.

At the end of the day, if the HEKse will sound musical with folk, pop, and rock I think I would go it rather than the Empyreans given it's detail retrieval and sound staging capabilities. However, if it's going to be really analytical in nature and sound "cold" across these genres then I'd probably go with the Empyreans.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,405 of 5,253
Thanks for sharing the link. I read through it but I don't know if it provides me any more clarity especially given the music that was used in the review.

At the end of the day, if the HEKse will sound musical with folk, pop, and rock I think I would go it rather than the Empyreans given it's detail retrieval and sound staging capabilities. However, if it's going to be really analytical in nature and sound "cold" across these genres then I'd probably go with the Empyreans.
In that case i would go the hekse. Detailed but not cold. Musical and analytical. It does/can satisfy both

but thats’s my 2c

i lived with empy for about a year, I’ve had the hekse for almost two.

before making a decision, if you can, if you haven’t aleady, and if in your budget also look at the utopias.
fuller sound than the hekse. also very detailed and precise like the hekse but different due to its punch factor.
definitely worth demoing all three as they are all good and though i have my own views, at this level it’s really personal especially weighing up each hps character and strengths, and to some extent what they forgo

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #2,407 of 5,253
In that case i would go the hekse. Detailed but not cold. Musical and analytical. It does/can satisfy both

but thats’s my 2c

i lived with empy for about a year, I’ve had the hekse for almost two.

before making a decision, if you can, if you haven’t aleady, and if in your budget also look at the utopias.
fuller sound than the hekse. also very detailed and precise like the hekse but different due to its punch factor.
definitely worth demoing all three as they are all good and though i have my own views, at this level it’s really personal especially weighing up each hps character and strengths, and to some extent what they forgo

Utopias are definitely in the budget.

Unfortunately demoing isn’t an option right now so I’ve been trying to rely on reviews / opinions to make my decision.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #2,408 of 5,253

Unfortunately demoing isn’t an option right now so I’ve been trying to rely on reviews / opinions to make my decision.

Would highly recommend any of the ZMF headphones as well for incredible musical, but still detailed headphones. I did recently sell my Verite in favor of the HEKse, but in flipping back and forth between the HEKse and Aeolus yesterday, honestly the Aeolus was often more satisfying, particular for rock and pop, as you mentioned. Personally, I do have to EQ a decent amount to get the HEKse to sound closer to my sound signature preference, which in the end is more in-line with the ZMF house sound. Never needed EQ for the Aeolus or Verite. Of course YMMV for all of this. There's obviously going to be a number of HEKse fans that think the stock sound is perfect, and think ZMF headphones are too warm/rolled off at the top.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,409 of 5,253

I would approach this decision with keeping everything proportional, the better the source will pay off in huge dividends ,of course everything matters however you want to hear a living presence with any number of great recordings the SEs will do it,..

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,410 of 5,253
I would approach this decision with keeping everything proportional, the better the source will pay off in huge dividends ,of course everything matters however you want to hear a living presence with any number of great recordings the SEs will do it,..
I’d agree with that - a living presence - hence why i am a huge fan. A very honest and musical headphone.
but to just add, using the hekse as the base/reference:
the utopias will give your more impact and energy and weight to the sound
and the empyreans will give you richer rounder coloured/warm mids and upper lower end. A bit more forgiving perhaps on bad recordings (not that i have a problem with the hekse with that) but the detail is lacking a little or at least not as prevalent (to not have an argument with empyrean lovers)

pick your flavour/lpoison” (as they say)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,411 of 5,253

HEKse isn't analytical, but make no mistake its not a forgiving headphone so bad sounding recordings will sound...well not so good.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,412 of 5,253
HEKse isn't analytical, but make no mistake its not a forgiving headphone so bad sounding recordings will sound...well not so good.

I can't confirm that. I think he is forgiving and you don't need an EQ for him. He sounds very very good in very many different genres of music.
It is a perfect all-rounder for me.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #2,413 of 5,253
For 28 days now I've been using Hekse with all kinds of amplifications from amps in my signature, Tidal Hifi or Youtube Premium, no high fidelity streamers, just my newly configured PC.

I find I can enjoy Hekse through all these. Even through vinyl on my Rega RP8 and audiopihle CD recordings on my Pioneer SACD player.

Good recordings wow me, Youtube didn't bother me, Tidal HiFi through iPhone11 is ok too. I listen to all genres.

Even though I still like my LCD-3f and LCD-X, He1000se just sound so much better to my ears. I'm even astounded that it is great with Pink Floyd or Miles Davies or Beethoven.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,414 of 5,253
I can't confirm that. I think he is forgiving and you don't need an EQ for him. He sounds very very good in very many different genres of music.
It is a perfect all-rounder for me.
i agree - they are pretty forgiving. Not as much as the empyreans

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #2,415 of 5,253
Any recommendation for a cable that brings out a bit more midrange on V1? Currently have stock V2 zip cord and wish to add bit more mid warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back