HiFiMan HE-560 Review
May 9, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #167 of 219
Well good but we really need a proper 6 vs 560 comparison!

May 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #168 of 219
Well good but we really need a proper 6 vs 560 comparison!

OK... Boss!

biggrin.gif

May 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #169 of 219
  Warmer midrange? Nooo, not in my unit

Oh gawd, PLEASE tell me they are going to release REVISIONS <.<

I'd like to upgrade my HE 4 to a HE 560 at some point BUT I LIKE the DRY sound of the HE 4, so you know... I'd like a dry sounding headphone upgrade >.> HECK I run my Dry HE 4 out of an even drier solid state :D 

May 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #170 of 219

I'd like to upgrade my HE 4 to a HE 560 at some point BUT I LIKE the DRY sound of the HE 4, so you know... I'd like a dry sounding headphone upgrade >.> HECK I run my Dry HE 4 out of an even drier solid state :D 
the HE-560 are the closest to the HE-4 in that. There's not lushness like the HE-500 or - to a lesser extent, the 400s, just a more detailed midrange that brings texture out with no other artifice.
Good stuff!

May 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #171 of 219

That's cuz you live in Myrtle.  Just move to the desert, buy a tube amp, and you're good to go 
wink.gif

May 10, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #172 of 219

That's cuz you live in Myrtle.  Just move to the desert, buy a tube amp, and you're good to go 
wink.gif

the HE-560 are the closest to the HE-4 in that. There's not lushness like the HE-500 or - to a lesser extent, the 400s, just a more detailed midrange that brings texture out with no other artifice.
Good stuff!

But, I think I can get a HE 6 used for the price of the HE 560 new... still my little ole NFB 10ES2 is only like 6w into 50 ohms, the NFB 28 has an extra 400mW

Still I gatta hear the HE 560 before I say "it's not dry enough for me!] 

May 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #175 of 219
  Would the HE-560's be considered an upgrade over the the HE-500's ?

After you adjust to the sound signature, yes I think so. Especially true as the production model has a slightly different tuning from the test prototypes, bass is more present and "bigger"-sounding, low~mid midrange is more forward, and treble takes half a step back.

It (production unit sound) straddles the line between natural/organic signature, and neutrality. The test prototype was more heavily leaning toward utter neutrality, not quite clinically-so but close.

May 10, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #176 of 219
  After you adjust to the sound signature, yes I think so. Especially true as the production model has a slightly different tuning from the test prototypes, bass is more present and "bigger"-sounding, low~mid midrange is more forward, and treble takes half a step back.

It (production unit sound) straddles the line between natural/organic signature, and neutrality. The test prototype was more heavily leaning toward utter neutrality, not quite clinically-so but close.

Does that mean it is less airy as well? 
eek.gif

May 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #177 of 219

Yeah, I saw this news on some other review sites as well. Was any reason given for the last minute change? I assume the new tuning is seen as being more accessible and having more popular appeal? Perhaps that's way off base.

May 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #178 of 219
  Does that mean it is less airy as well? 
eek.gif

I tested them side-by-side a lot, via music and sinewave tones (sweep and static); treble extends just as well, just mids/bass is a tad more off the production driver. In terms of perceived airiness, I feel the production tuning has less, but it's a more natural way of presenting air (upper treble doesn't really stick out ever, it's always blended well with the treble definition).

Hard to describe which one is qualitatively superior because they are all very small relative differences; the foundation of the HE560 sound is identical.

I'd say NOW it is more of a fitting hybrid combining HE500 and HE6; beforehand it was more of a HE6-esque balance with a tad smoother upper end.

Yeah, I saw this news on some other review sites as well. Was any reason given for the last minute change? I assume the new tuning is seen as being more accessible and having more popular appeal? Perhaps that's way off base.

I think it's because of some semblance of collective opinion from beta testers that the test prototype tuning was a bit too "dry" in the low end / lower mids, and upper end a bit too present.

May 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #179 of 219
  I tested them side-by-side a lot, via music and sinewave tones (sweep and static); treble extends just as well, just mids/bass is a tad more off the production driver. In terms of perceived airiness, I feel the production tuning has less, but it's a more natural way of presenting air (upper treble doesn't really stick out ever, it's always blended well with the treble definition).

Hard to describe which one is qualitatively superior because they are all very small relative differences; the foundation of the HE560 sound is identical.

I'd say NOW it is more of a fitting hybrid combining HE500 and HE6; beforehand it was more of a HE6-esque balance with a tad smoother upper end.

I think it's because of some semblance of collective opinion from beta testers that the test prototype tuning was a bit too "dry" in the low end / lower mids, and upper end a bit too present.

Ow, ok... I take it it's all good. Maybe even good news :D
So they are still a lot more airier than the 500? Like, is the streble still more neutral/reference than the 500's darker/warmer presentation?

May 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #180 of 219
  Ow, ok... I take it it's all good. Maybe even good news :D
So they are still a lot more airier than the 500? Like, is the streble still more neutral/reference than the 500's darker/warmer presentation?

By far. It doesn't seem that treble changed at all, just that bass and lower/mid mids are raised by a couple of dBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back