Hifiman HE-500 " Subwoofer " ear pad mods
Feb 2, 2014 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tl13m

100+ Head-Fier
This is a ear pad mods, which will improve bass like a subwoofer 
L3000.gif

You can try this "subwoofer" before actual do this mod by pull out both cups so the ear pads just over your ears (recommend song test: Why not me of Enrique Iglesias), you will noticed an extended sweet rumble bass 
eek.gif

I did this mods with:

- Thick foam
- Double side adhesive tap
- Small scissors
- Knife

Step 1:

Took out the mounting ring and glue it to the foam with adhesive tap. Use the knife cut the foam with the ring shape (outer circle)

Step 2:

Apply the adhesive tap to the other side of the foam, cut inner circle ring.

Step 3:

Attach the ear pad to foam, use the scissors cut some holes on the foam (i did 16 holes) so that you can have a clean rumble bass

Step 4:

Plug it back and enjoy 
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 3
  This or anything similar to this causes a 100 Hz hump, and rapid roll-off below 100 Hz, just so you know.

Thanks Jerg for pointing that out.

But after using this ear pads mods couple days, I'm so addicted to the new bass 
wink_face.gif

However, it has been falling apart because the adhesive tap can not do it job 
angry_face.gif
 so I've been experimented on other mods:

- Thick HifiMan Pleather earpads: add some soft cotton between foam ring and fabric ==> improve comfortable vs stock pleather & same sound

- Combine Velour and Pleather ==> super comfortable & beautiful sound (bass enhanced) 
ksc75smile.gif

Step 1: remove the foam ring (easy to deform) and cut fabric of the Pleather pads

Step 2: Sew Pleather on top of Velour

Note: I did not sew complete circle so it will not get hot/humid for long use period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back