HiFiMan HE-500 - Review
Dec 18, 2011 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Audio Addict

Headphoneus Supremus

At this year’s ChiUniFi, in addition to their generous support to the raffle, Head-Direct and HiFiMan sent their HE-300, HE-500 and HE-6 for the attendees to audition.  Since I have the HE-6, I really wanted to listen to the HE-500s as I was reading the comments on Head-Fi about this headphone.  Just before the meet, I received an email from HiFiMan they had re-positioned the HE-500 with a price drop of $200 for a new price of $699.

At the meet, I had a chance to listen to the HE-500 through several different systems as well as get a chance to listen to Warp08’s pair he brought to the meet that had been modified by Whiplash Audio.  Needless to say, I was very impress at the meet with the sonics I heard but I wasn’t familiar with most the material and equipment I auditioned the HE-500s with.  This led me to ask Dr. Bian if I could spend some time with these after the meet and he graciously agreed.  With the holidays coming up, I would have more time with these phones in my own system and material I am more familiar with.

For these extended listening sessions, I utilized the HE-500s balanced with a Whiplash Audio TWag v1 cable I have been using on my HE-6 since I am familiar with this setup and it remove a variable I didn’t feel was appropriate in trying to evaluate these phones.  Sure these phones can be run single-ended but that just isn’t how I listen these days so I didn’t want that variable in my evaluation.  As far as equipment being used; here is the equipment:

Headphone Amplifier:  Ray Samuels Audio Apache (revision C) with AphroditeCu29 umbilical cord - strongly recommended

Sources:
PS Audio PerfectWave DAC w/bridge (balance to the Apache)
PS Audio PerfectWave Transport (using the I2S HDMI connection)
VPI HRX (rim drive and superplatter) with Benz LPS cartridge
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk phonostage
Miscellaneous power conditioning and cabling

I started by listening to some vinyl.  Two albums I selected were 180 gram 45 rpm lp versions of Fleetwood Mac “Rumors” and Natalie Merchant “Tiger Lily”.

First the remaster “Rumors” album is a great album, especially the 45 lp version, It was really difficult to concentrate on the HE-500 as I found myself constantly just enjoying the music.  To me, this says a lot about these headphones as they really just let you enjoy the music. To try and put the enjoyment into words, I found the HE500 provided a level of naturalness and separation to the instruments.  The vocals were clear, harmonized and extended.  I must say if there was a single thing that kept standing out was how well the HE-500 reproduced the bass line in this album.  It went deep and was well controlled.  I found myself getting even more engaged, if that was even possible.

Moving on to Natalie Merchant’s “Tiger Lily”, it was more of the same.  Her voice was just so natural and extended.  The bass continued deep and well controlled.  Everything was just crystal clear, dimensional as expected and thoroughly enjoyable.  The only downside was on these two albums I had to get up and turn the record after 2 to 3 songs just as I was getting into the groove of the music with these headphones.  However, that is the tradeoff I willing make for the sonic improvement of the 45 LP.  Overall on vinyl, the HE500s performed flawlessly letting the music flow through my setup so much so I really didn’t want to stop.

I moved on to listening to CDs through the PWT/PWD combination.  I am a Diana Krall fan so I first put on “from this moment on”.  Like the vinyl session, the vocal presentation was just spot on.  Diana’s voice was almost like she was in the room with me.  It was extremely intimate.  John Clayton’s bass line was so full and deep I found myself toe tapping to the beat.  I could hear so much detail coming from Jeff Hamilton’s drums and cymbals I could visualize his location relative to Diana and John Clayton on stage.  When you put everything together it was truly an engaging performance.  One song that just exemplified the overall capabilities of the HE-500 from this album is the title track.  Everything just comes together, especially the horn sections.  When they come blazing in, it makes you sit up and just listen.  At the same time the HE-500 handled the delicate passages in “Little Girl Blue” with ease.

To stir it up, I decided to put on “The Very Best of Chicago Only the Beginning”.  This album always makes me nostalgic as I remember those years when I was just a few years younger.  Of course they produced just a few albums that spanned several years so quite a few of us grew up with them.  The HE-500 continued to not disappoint.  As I noted earlier, the depth, separation and musical performance presented, especially the horns and vocals, continued to surprise me as I was not really prepared for how well these headphones handled everything.  They continued to scale to whatever was asked of them.  At times the music just surrounded you and if you closed your eyes Chicago was right up there on center stage.  A couple of my favorites on this album are “Make Me Smile” and “25 Or 6 To 4”.  I could play them over and over again and not feel any fatigue from the presentation by the HE-500s.

To summarize, I have thoroughly enjoyed the past month I have had the opportunity to listen to the HE-500 in my system.  The excitement I got at ChiUniFi from having the opportunity to hear them for the first time has only been reinforced.  At their new $699 price point, I think they will be a tough act to beat.  They scale up to the equipment being used very well.  They readily respond to improved cabling as well as being used balance. 

Are there any downsides, unfortunately I have to say yes.  The biggest downside is they still need a good amount of power to really come alive so the amplification is something to consider.  I tried the HE-500s with my RSA Stealth.  While I could get the loudness, I really couldn’t get the energy with the Stealth.  I didn’t try different tubes in the Stealth but I have never had to do that with other headphones.   However they definitely don’t have the same current demand as the HE-6s or even the HE-5s, both which I own. 

I saw another recent review that referred to these headphones as a diamond in the rough.  I am not sure they are actually in the rough.  I have thoroughly enjoyed any musical genre I threw at these headphones.  They are easily headphones that can stay in your system as you upgrade your source and amplification.  They responded extremely well to better cabling.  I recently purchased a Zeus Quad 22 AWG from AproditeCu29 for my HE-6s and know what that cable did for those phones.  I can speculate the improvement they would add further to the HE-500 over the TWag v1 cable I did this review with.  The Whiplash Audio Reference modification Warp08 had done further shows the capabilities of this headphone. 

I strongly suggest anyone looking at moving up the headphone scale to give these phones an audition.  Personally, if your wallet would let you, I would skip the in between steps and consider these as soon as possible.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm extremely used to the Audez'e sound by now and the HE-500s I got just don't do it for me, they just sound off balance somehow, unnatural.  Have you compared the HE-500s to Audeze directly on your setup?  Perhaps I need to try more metals and break the HE-500s in for longer.  

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the review! I'm on my second order of these (from Head-Direct this time) and anxious to hear this elusive gear myself...

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
I'm extremely used to the Audez'e sound by now and the HE-500s I got just don't do it for me, they just sound off balance somehow, unnatural.  Have you compared the HE-500s to Audeze directly on your setup?  Perhaps I need to try more metals and break the HE-500s in for longer.  

I have not own the Audezes and have only heard them recently at CanJam this year so I can't offer any comments.  One thing I have heard several people comment on regarding the HiFiMan products is to get the mini-coaxial cable out of the path and hardwire the cable directly.  I know several vendors offer that service and those who have heard the updated products have been very excited about the improvements.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanx for the input, the HE-500 are becoming more attractive to me as my next set of cans.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Listening to a pair of HE500 at the moment using the OCC balanced cable from an HE6, what can I say besides I love the sound! At the price level it sell for you can't do better IMO.

I actually was considering using my HE-6 cable but then I remembered it is the 4 pin XLR and I don't have a single amplifier or adapter for that connector so I decided on the TWag v1.  

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Great impressions and writeup, Steve. I have not owned the Apache AND the HE-500s at the same time but I have no doubt these cans respond well to a lush analog source vinyl provides. If you desire more punch and speed in how it renders sound, a more powerful amp like the Dark Star will help. The Whiplash mod offers a custom dampening ring not present in the stock cans in addition of getting rid of the brass RF coax connectors which become superfluous if you desire end-to-end homogenous silver wiring from the plugs all the way to the drivers. As you have noted silver just offers better synergy with these cans in terms of clearing out the upper mid to treble ranges a bit, which is a big plus IMO.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 20
How do they compare to the HE-6 in your opinion?

Great review, thank you.

The HE6 are still a significant step up but you need to really consider your amplification. It wasn't until I powered my HE6 with an AES Supersmp Signature did I really understand the capabilities of those headphones. With the HE-500, I think you can probsbly get to 85% to 90% of the HE6 without looking for the special amplification.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Great impressions and writeup, Steve. I have not owned the Apache AND the HE-500s at the same time but I have no doubt these cans respond well to a lush analog source vinyl provides. If you desire more punch and speed in how it renders sound, a more powerful amp like the Dark Star will help. The Whiplash mod offers a custom dampening ring not present in the stock cans in addition of getting rid of the brass RF coax connectors which become superfluous if you desire end-to-end homogenous silver wiring from the plugs all the way to the drivers. As you have noted silver just offers better synergy with these cans in terms of clearing out the upper mid to treble ranges a bit, which is a big plus IMO.

Thanks for the comments.  You and others make it look easy but it really takes a lot more time than one would imagine.  

I have been thinking about a Dark Star but I would need to sell the Stealth and Raptor and I am just terrible at selling stuff.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Thank you for your review, very well written! 
What pads do you used with HE-500, pleather or velour?

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for the wonderful review , along with many others good review on HE500 , it just make a lot of sense to own it , especially at that price revision with silver cable and improved ear pad. 
I am all ready to get this too myself too except i am worry that my portable gear are not able to bring out the full potential of HE500.

My system : Fostex HP-P1 / ALO the continental V2 (link with all Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable ) .

are my portable gear good enough for HE500 ? 
I listen to Jazz/ vocal / orchestra / Pop mostly 

Appreciate all comments and input. 

Thanks 
Raymond 

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
My system : Fostex HP-P1 / ALO the continental V2 (link with all Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable ) .

are my portable gear good enough for HE500 ? 
I listen to Jazz/ vocal / orchestra / Pop mostly 

It is true that HE-500 is extremely enjoyable for this type of music that you are hearing. I also enjoy my HE-500 immensely with these types of music.
I haven’t owned Fostex HP-P1, but judging from the specs alone it seems underpowered.
To hear music loud enough you need enough headroom, so that music peaks are not clipped. One can safely assume (and there is a extremely good article that states ‘all things considered, 110 dB SPL seems like a good target if you want to pick just one number’ - just google the quoted phrase and you will find it, I am not allowed to provide a direct link), that for the type of music that you are hearing 110dB SPL peak is needed.  
According to Fostex http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/HP-P1.shtml#3 spec web page max output of HP-P1 is just 80mW. Considering the measured sensitivity of HE-500 80mW will give 106dB peak.
This is a bit less than 110dB.
And although HifiMan states that they are good for portable sources, the significant weight of HE-500 makes them uncomfortable for portable use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back