HiFiMAN HE-500 Review
Oct 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 60
Great review! I think this review has finally persuaded me to spend the money to try these out. They seem the closest thing I'll ever find to ESS AMTs in a headphone (I remember doing an experiment 20 years ago where I took the AMT tweeters off the enclosure and onto the floor and out of the crossover / connected them directly to the amp, then lied on my back with my head between the AMTs a few inches away on either side and listened at low volume and it was the most brilliant sound I've ever heard).

Yes, I'd like to hear them first, but that's virtually impossible around here. A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Would anyone feel comfortable bringing these into the office? They're no good for a normal workday (I use my Shure SRH940s or Denon D1001s for that because of their isolation), but weekend catchup when it's quiet? Or are they just too cumbersome, too fragile, too rarified to be outside the home?

2. I use a Cute Beyond for everything, and I tend to listen at pretty low volume (example: 9:00 on the Lo gain setting with a normal line out input is sufficient for the Shures and Denons and I measure about 80 dB with the RS dB meter); this amp is rated for 60 mw at 600 ohms and 480 mw at 75 ohms. Would that provide sufficient output for the HE-500?

3. I remember reading something about the earcups being flimsily attached, is that still the case?

4. Is burn-in a big issue or non-issue in general with this technology? Is what I hear in the first minute comparable or completely different from the 10,000th minute (this goes to the next question too)?

5. I don't think I'm allowed to ask about vendors or anything, but is it reasonable to expect a full return policy for these in general?

Thank you!

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:
Great review! I think this review has finally persuaded me to spend the money to try these out. They seem the closest thing I'll ever find to ESS AMTs in a headphone (I remember doing an experiment 20 years ago where I took the AMT tweeters off the enclosure and onto the floor and out of the crossover / connected them directly to the amp, then lied on my back with my head between the AMTs a few inches away on either side and listened at low volume and it was the most brilliant sound I've ever heard).

Yes, I'd like to hear them first, but that's virtually impossible around here. A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Would anyone feel comfortable bringing these into the office? They're no good for a normal workday (I use my Shure SRH940s or Denon D1001s for that because of their isolation), but weekend catchup when it's quiet? Or are they just too cumbersome, too fragile, too rarified to be outside the home?

2. I use a Cute Beyond for everything, and I tend to listen at pretty low volume (example: 9:00 on the Lo gain setting with a normal line out input is sufficient for the Shures and Denons and I measure about 80 dB with the RS dB meter); this amp is rated for 60 mw at 600 ohms and 480 mw at 75 ohms. Would that provide sufficient output for the HE-500?

3. I remember reading something about the earcups being flimsily attached, is that still the case?

4. Is burn-in a big issue or non-issue in general with this technology? Is what I hear in the first minute comparable or completely different from the 10,000th minute (this goes to the next question too)?

5. I don't think I'm allowed to ask about vendors or anything, but is it reasonable to expect a full return policy for these in general?

Thank you!

Re 2: You will want an amp that can sustain 1 watt @ 38 ohm - 480mW @ 75 will be insufficient as orthos, particularly the HiFiMan (vs. Audueze) are less efficient. A Schiit Lyr, or HiFiMan EF-5 will be something you might want to consider at a reasonable price.

Re 3: I can't experienced any issues with the ear-cups... I take care of my headphones as most hi-fi'ers do so I can't see it being a real big issue. Of course that can change after a year or two given expected wear and tear.

Re 4: There is burn-in... whether it's on the side of the orthos I can't really comment on, but tube amplifiers will have audible burn-in, particularly over the first 25 hours. 

Re 5: I think it's up to the individual distributors to decide how to handle returns, and demos. The distributor for the UK seems to be pretty good about trying to organize demos of his products for potential and existing customers- this will be the way I will be testing out the BiFrost prior to making any decisions regarding a new DAC.

It's an excellent headphone, and I do think the sound will improve over time. An ortho will have a distinct sound you should pick up right away ("tightness") vs. a standard moving coil. Compared to my HD-555's from which I upgraded from it is a noticeable difference, with the most apparent difference being the lack of "muddiness" in the sound, particularly the bass. I guess another way of describing a moving coil in this regard is lazy, where an ortho is energized. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 60

Just want to share short impressions about HE500:

Source: PC (Foobar - WAV/FLAC/MP4/FLV)
DAC + Amp = Burson HA160D
Headphone: Hifiman HE500

Sound:

1. Bass is presented very nicely, I feel the bass has good quantity and quality, it feels doesn't have "weird" bump in any low freq, it just come out smoothly and indeed goes deep.  Perhaps it won't win the heart of basshead people, but it's nowhere lack of quantity.

2. Mid, the vocal is thick, forward, and smooth. It's at neutral side with a hint of warmness. The vocal is sweet, but don't expect lush syrupy because like what I wrote above, it's just neutral. I feel there's a little peak at upper mid/lower treble, it can lead tendency of harsh especially for bad recording songs, but as long as the recorded is right, everything is just smooth and this peak help to give clarity

3. Treble, it's clear, with good airy sensation, separation and detail while still maintain the smoothness. Perhaps it's a bit lack of bite for elektronica songs, but for most of other songs, the quantity is so delicious, it's just right amount. I think I really like how HE500 produce the treble, perhaps it's lack detail/extension compare to other flagship headphones, but the right amount of quantity, airiness and the smoothness are really great things to appreciate. Well, really great, that's it.

4. Soundstage, it feels open, has great height and depth, but not for width. Don't expect the wide sound that surround outside of your head. The overall presentation is sound really coherence and full. The imaging is still below some other flagship headphone though.

5. Comfort level: Not as good as other most of dynamic headphone (T1, HD800, etc) due the weight of drivers and the clamps. But after I adjust the headband suspension (the one that hold the driver), I think the comfort level is still acceptable. The headband shape is very ergonomic, as they can distribute the headphone's weight separate very well.

HE500 is really show to me that we can combine technicality and musicality at the same time. In short words, HE500 = The "Master" Jack of All Trades.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 60
Let me see if I can contribute.

1. Unless you have your own private office I don't think you can listen to these. They're like speakers, even more so than any of the other open back headphones I own.

2. Jasio is right, Dr. Fang recommends 1 Watt into 38ohms. But I think your amp will drive them somewhat "okay" given that my E9 can somewhat drive them (1 Watt into 16 ohms). My Lyr really lets them shine and shows me what I've been missing (which was a lot), throwing out 5.5 Watts into 38 ohms.

4. As someone who is very critical of claims of burn-in, especially when it comes to orthos, I can tell you unequivocally that they require 200 hours to completely settle. They go through wild swings in the first 50 hours (sounding god awful at times) and start to sound "good" around 75 and sound pretty awesome at 120 hours, but the wizard reveals himself right around 180-200 hours. I've had two HE-500s, the second pair after my ears were "burned-in" to the sound sig of the first one. My Amp/Tubes, cables were already burned in, so I'm thinking it was definitely the headphone.

That's been my overall experience with them, oh yeah btw the HE-500 makes all my other phones (HD650, Q701, D2000) seem like a joke. They're atleast twice as good from top to bottom, if someone said three times I wouldn't argue. I love/appreciate my other phones but seriously... HE-500 =
L3000.gif

Quote:

Thank you!

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 60
How heavy are these headphones? That's one of my concerns with these headphones as I found the 325i (well Magnums in a 325i shell but same weight pretty much) to be really heavy and not being able to use them after an hour or two even though they sounded great.

I may get impatient and just buy them before hearing them in a few weeks :p

The midrange of the HE500 is something I want to hear for myself although I do have a K501 which has a pretty good midrange and Hifiman is always a brand I liked so the HE500 may be next for me..

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 60
They're pretty heavey, noticeable over my other phones, but on the bright side the weight is distributed very well. The headband is very malleable. I've bent them gently in three spots (middle, left, right side) in order to decrease clamp force and to give me a more balanced distribution of the weight. For me personally, they're fairly comfortable and can be worn for hours without any pain.

The midrange is sweet, so sweet, but the overall resolution/articulation is just astounding. No one ever talks about the HE500 bass (being overshadowed by the LCD-2), but the the HE500 has some great extention, impact, and texture. My D2000 hits harder, but the HE500 extends just as deep, if not deeper, and with much more texture/detail/articulation.

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Quote:
How heavy are these headphones? That's one of my concerns with these headphones as I found the 325i (well Magnums in a 325i shell but same weight pretty much) to be really heavy and not being able to use them after an hour or two even though they sounded great.

I may get impatient and just buy them before hearing them in a few weeks :p

The midrange of the HE500 is something I want to hear for myself although I do have a K501 which has a pretty good midrange and Hifiman is always a brand I liked so the HE500 may be next for me..

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 60
Usually with the HE500 when reading reviews and such I see there being a focus on midrange, bass and treble in that order. Hopefully I'll be able to hear them in a few weeks in a local meet or if I buy them before that :) Too bad the HE500 isn't as light as the HE-4. I'm quite surprised that these are so comfortable and comes very close to my K501 but beats my DT880 which is surprising for me. If it has good weight distribution then that is good for me as the 325i definitely does not have good weight distribution and takes quite a bit of time to get used to. I got used to them after a while but after two months of not having them and maybe getting them back it won't be easy to get used to again.

All I need now is a bigger room since I'm running out of space with all these headphones, amps, etc and their respective boxes..

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 60
I found them very comfortable because of the way the weight was distributed. Wore mine for 5+ hours at a time with no discomfort. Sure they weren't D7000 comfort...but not bad by any means.

These are like the big brother to the HD 598 IMO. Takes everything they do well and does it...better. Comparing sound stage is a little tough because they're so similar, but they have a very similar sound signature. 

And just to mention it...the bass is fabulous. Probably still my favorite headphone for Liquid DnB...

Quote:
Usually with the HE500 when reading reviews and such I see there being a focus on midrange, bass and treble in that order. Hopefully I'll be able to hear them in a few weeks in a local meet or if I buy them before that :) Too bad the HE500 isn't as light as the HE-4. I'm quite surprised that these are so comfortable and comes very close to my K501 but beats my DT880 which is surprising for me. If it has good weight distribution then that is good for me as the 325i definitely does not have good weight distribution and takes quite a bit of time to get used to. I got used to them after a while but after two months of not having them and maybe getting them back it won't be easy to get used to again.

All I need now is a bigger room since I'm running out of space with all these headphones, amps, etc and their respective boxes..

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #25 of 60
I've found the HE-500's to be heavy, but not tiresome despite listening to them up to four or five hours at a time. I do notice the weight, but as Morbid mentioned the weight is well distributed and the band can be adjusted to fit without any major issues. Personally, at this price I wouldn't want a headphone I can't feel- I guess it's a mental thing but when I spend more money I would like to feel the product that I'm using. As much as I complain now about my old HD-555's sound signature versus the HE-500, the Sennheisers are a more comfortable headphone to wear, requiring no extended fiddling to find the sweet spot for you.

Of course these are completely open so for portability, and use outside of the home they are useless. I prefer IEM's outdoors because they are easy to pack away then not needed.

As far as burn-in goes, M-13 mentioned around 200 hours of burn-in before the HE-500's really shine. I cannot comment on this yet, as I have around 35 hours of burn-in on the headphones so far but it's good to hear from other owners that the sound continues to improve. In my situation there is also an amp that has to burn-in so I have two separate sources that are brand new and both undergoing burn-in at the same time (35 hours on HE-500 and on Lyr).

I don't mind letting others listen to my fairly straight-forward setup, but I am off the beaten trail and the majority of Head-Fi users are in North America, or mainland Europe. 

Despite being skeptical at first, and sort of regretting the amount of money I spent on the headphones and amp- that has mostly dissipated due to the sheer enjoyment and relaxation the phones provide. As I am currently working on my graduate degree in Law, having something like the HE-500's to come home to after a long and tiring day is a great way to relax and think about nothing but the music.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #26 of 60
This. 100x this.

The first thing I do with new gear is decide if it has 'a nice weight to it'. Maybe that's a reason I'm so drawn to orthos. They just feel more substantial than most dynamics.

Quote:
I've found the HE-500's to be heavy, but not tiresome despite listening to them up to four or five hours at a time. I do notice the weight, but as Morbid mentioned the weight is well distributed and the band can be adjusted to fit without any major issues. Personally, at this price I wouldn't want a headphone I can't feel- I guess it's a mental thing but when I spend more money I would like to feel the product that I'm using.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #27 of 60
It is also worth noting that Crossfeed doesn't seem to mesh well with it like it does in the HD 598 or a host of other sets I've come to love recently.  Maybe it is just the Orthos fault, as the LCD2 sucked with crossfeed as well.   Huge dip in clarity and an odd sense of ambiance settled over me when it was enabled. Perhaps it would be a different story if I used a great amp with some Crossfeed abilities.   Would love some feedback on the higher end amps with crossfeed features + the HE500 just for giggles.  

The HE500 is a bit heavier than the LCD2 at 502g.  Definitely felt a bit heavier to me than the LCD2 but rested on my head like headphones should, not lopsided with uneven weight distribution.  Also, the Hifiman Gradoish headband is infinitely nicer than Audezes.  When I had it, I was told not to bend the headband to my liking so I was stuck with some discomfort and too much of a clamp ( like Mr. Krabs from Spongebob was vice gripping my ears ) but now I am told the band has a robust metal strip in there so you should be able to easily mold it to your liking.  

I am heavily debating rebuying the He500.  I recently was recommended the livewire customs so I might check them out first but there is no question that if a used one comes around I will try to nab it from all of you.  I am not at all happy about the price being raised a hundred bucks on it all of a sudden, as I thought it would remain $799 indefinitely.  

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #28 of 60
Are you sure it was $799? I was doing some research on these recently and the introduction post to the HE-500 before they were released showed them as $899 and the post was not edited. I guess soon I shall find out how the HE500 pairs with my V200 amp :)

Also I'm not sure about current Livewires but they did have some CS issues in the past so worth checking that out to see if that's still the case. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 60
When I got it, it must have been on sale and I assumed that was the normal price.  I'll be paying more next time I try to buy it, it seems.  The normal price was $899 but I caught it on sale for a $799 at Head Direct a while back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back