HiFiMan HE-500 left cup stopped working
Sep 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tals

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.
My HE-500 are a couple months old. I went downstairs to get some food while I left my amp on with nothing playing. When I got back, my left cup wasn't working. I tried re-plugging everything, to no avail.
I switched out the headphones cable from left to right, and it still only sounds on the right side, so it isnt a cable issue.
I tried lightly tapping it several times, I tried loosing and reconnecting the cable, I've tried blowing into it, but I honestly have no idea what Im doing.

Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, and if not, what can I do to mend it instantly, without contacting the HiFiMan support?

Thank you!

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 8
You don't know anybody who has a volt meter? If its the driver that has a problem, the only way to know is by doing a continuity test on the driver. If the trace has a break, the driver is shot.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Not at 2 AM. I will try tomorrow, tho. Just check for continuity? In case that I do get continuity, it means the driver is alive but something else might be breaking the line. What could it be?

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Be careful running a voltmeter directly into the phone, since that's a few volts of DC into the membrane and can possibly cause it to deflect all the way into the stator/magnet assembly.  Perhaps put a 1,000 ohm resistor in between the voltmeter and the + leg of the headphone before running the continuity check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back