Hifiman HE-5 Orthodynamic Headphones
May 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #256 of 294
Has anyone with a "right (or left) driver issue" where the sound on their HE-5 cuts in and out taken a peek inside to see if it's just a loose internal connection?

As the warranty is replace only, I was wondering about fixing them myself rather than getting into another pair. The problem is intermittent so it seems possible that it could be a simple repair.

Also, would opening them up to take a look invalidate my warranty?

May 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #257 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone with a "right (or left) driver issue" where the sound on their HE-5 cuts in and out taken a peek inside to see if it's just a loose internal connection?

As the warranty is replace only, I was wondering about fixing them myself rather than getting into another pair. The problem is intermittent so it seems possible that it could be a simple repair.

Also, would opening them up to take a look invalidate my warranty?

My left earpiece had always seemed to be lower volume than the right. Lately I've tested with mono recordings and switching the cable connections on the headphones. Something is definitely out of wack. Its also possible that the left earpiece is wired out of phase ... it just sounds different. Not looking forward to shipping it back to China. Wish the manufacturer would pipe in....

May 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #258 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My left earpiece had always seemed to be lower volume than the right. Lately I've tested with mono recordings and switching the cable connections on the headphones. Something is definitely out of wack. Its also possible that the left earpiece is wired out of phase ... it just sounds different. Not looking forward to shipping it back to China. Wish the manufacturer would pipe in....

Have you emailed head-direct about this? Also, you don't ship to china, they have a USA address.

May 4, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #259 of 294
I have mine packed up for New York, which I believe is for the US & Canada, but definitely check with them first either way. I can see there is a tamper seal that would be compromised if I took a look, so I won't
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #260 of 294
It says on Head-Direct's website that you have 30 days to get a refund or 60 days to get a replacement.
@ grokit. When did you receive yours?

I'm pretty sure that if you opened most headphones, that would void the warranty. You're better off
getting a new one. If you're willing to take a chance, there's only a few wires that can be re-established with
some steady hands and a touch of solder.

May 5, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #261 of 294
I received my HE-5s on new years eve, making them just over 4 months old.

I really wanted them repaired as they originally told me that they were replacing them from 31-90 days and repairing after that, but then they told me that was a mistake (just like they changed their mind on the LE exchange program), and they are just doing replacements after 30 days now.

I documented the whole thing on one of the LE threads; either the website is wrong or they have changed their mind again, but the most recent e-mail told me that repairs were off the table; we'll see I guess
confused_face_2.gif

May 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #262 of 294
Thanks. Got a reply with directions for sending them to a Queens (NY) adress for replacement.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you emailed head-direct about this? Also, you don't ship to china, they have a USA address.

May 10, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #263 of 294
Anyone using their HE-5 in a balanced setup?

I'd love to hear what dac/amp works best. 

May 10, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #265 of 294
WOW! That's a powerful statement when said here :) How much did that setup cost you?

May 10, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #268 of 294
I also felt the HE-5 was excellent with the Audio-GD Phoenix, with the APureSound balanced cable.

May 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #269 of 294
Damn. Going balanced is expensive! Has anyone tried these out of a Buffalo DAC? Does it have enough oomph?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back