HiFiMAN HE-5 Impressions / Review
Feb 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shahrose,

Looking forward to hearing your impression of the HD800 compared to the HE-5's... The superior headphone sonically should be the HD800 but I have a strange feeling the "fun" factor goes to the HE-5's...
tongue.gif

Actually, you're half right. I think the HE-5 is very good at capturing the ambience and feel of fast-paced music which even betters the HD800 at this aspect.

The HD800 is superior at every other fields though. Classical especially, try hearing Beethoven's 7th Symphony with a properly driven HD800: it's almost other-worldly.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #47 of 69
Hmmm I'm kinda dissapointed in my HE-5... maybe that's a fault of myself instead of the headphone? I prefer a forward midrange and it seems like the mids, especially vocals, are a bit recessed. Also the bass is not very well defined. I should add that I'm not using any sort of DAC; I can see how that would be a problem. I will wait until I get one before making any final conclusions. Right now, I prefer my unamped SA5K over the HE-5 + EF-5. But so many people here have said this headphone is awesome, maybe it's just my preferences that are strange.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #48 of 69
The presentation of the HE-5's was definitely different for me too (compared to my HD 650s), but for me it was more a question of getting used to them... The more I listen the more amazed I become with the HE-5's - their clarity and resolution are top notch.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #49 of 69
Thats strange Tvrboy, Since from my experience with the HE-5's is that the midrange is one of its best qualities, and the vocals does not sound recessed at all, everything is brought more forward with these cans. Also the bass impact is not that great, though the definition is brilliant IMO, compared to my DT 150's. I guess we all have a different ear for things, and thats what makes this hobby so subjective... Well I hope enjoy them more Tvrboy, since they truly are a remarkable phone... Cheers,
normal_smile .gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm I'm kinda dissapointed in my HE-5... maybe that's a fault of myself instead of the headphone? I prefer a forward midrange and it seems like the mids, especially vocals, are a bit recessed. Also the bass is not very well defined. I should add that I'm not using any sort of DAC; I can see how that would be a problem. I will wait until I get one before making any final conclusions. Right now, I prefer my unamped SA5K over the HE-5 + EF-5. But so many people here have said this headphone is awesome, maybe it's just my preferences that are strange.

Well so far, your impressions roughly match mine, except mine were in a more positive light overall. The mids are recessed compared to the HD800 and especially the HD650. The bass is a a bit looser than both those cans as well. I articulated both points in the review.

That being said, give them some more time. I did feel they changed for the better from burn-in. IME, the DAC has made a larger difference to the sound than the amp to all my headphones, so I suggest you invest in a good one.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #51 of 69
I'm sure you will find that the HD800 is the overall a superior headphone in due time like what I did, Shahrose.
evil_smiley.gif

Nevertheless, I think the HE-5 is a steal at its price but to say it's better than the HD800 is utter nonsense.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nevertheless, I think the HE-5 is a steal at its price but to say it's better than the HD800 is utter nonsense.

Depends on what one means by "better". I prefer to listen to the HE-5, myself.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #53 of 69
What hours are on your HE-5?
What is your source for EF-5>HE-5 and for unamped SA5K?

Quote:

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

I'm sure you will find that the HD800 is the overall a superior headphone in due time like what I did, Shahrose.
evil_smiley.gif

You might at least let him make up his own mind. I sense a little too much defensiveness here every time the comparison is raised. Seems a number of you HD-800 people feel threatened by HE-5 comparisons.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Preferences will be a key factor in those thoughts.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what one means by "better". I prefer to listen to the HE-5, myself.

x2!!!
regardless of the stock or 7N silver recabled HD800.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #57 of 69
I really don't want to get into this endless subjective argument but it's clear to my ears that there are two areas where HD800 beats the HE-5.

First, the soundstage. The HD800 presents everything in a 3D-like holographic manner with ample of air between instruments. The HE-5 is noticeably more constricted in its presentation. It's like comparing a 180 degree arc soundscape with a 90 degree one.

Secondly, the bass. It is as clear as day that the HD800 has a deeper extension bass-wise coupled with a more linear presentation, free of bloat. It is perhaps the most neutral bass I've ever heard in headphones. The HE-5's bass is looser, lesser defined and extended in comparison. Some people may consider this a more musical presentation but we are talking about technicalities here.

I would also argue that the HD800 is truer to the source compared to the HE-5 but I'm not sure whether this is an advantage or not. Truthfully speaking, this conclusion is of no surprise to me since one is $1400 and the other is $600.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats strange Tvrboy, Since from my experience with the HE-5's is that the midrange is one of its best qualities, and the vocals does not sound recessed at all, everything is brought more forward with these cans. Also the bass impact is not that great, though the definition is brilliant IMO, compared to my DT 150's. I guess we all have a different ear for things, and thats what makes this hobby so subjective... Well I hope enjoy them more Tvrboy, since they truly are a remarkable phone... Cheers,
normal_smile .gif

This and the many other disparate comments about the HE-5 are a perfect example of needing to look for the right amp for proper synergy with the HE-5. My mids are not recessed at all like tvrboy and I agree with MikePio that the mids are fantastic. But, I get great bass definition and loads of bass impact with the HE-5 unlike MikePio - especially on the EF5, SAC KH1000, Sq Wave XL, and ZDT. The bass impact is less with WA6 and HDP but still acceptable and bass definition is still quite good with those underpowered amps.

I think with the HE-5 the associate gear is much more important than with something like my Denon or Grado. HD800 can be picky about amps too, but not as picky as the HD650 or HE-5 were for me.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

I really don't want to get into this endless subjective argument but it's clear to my ears that there are two areas where HD800 beats the HE-5.

First, the soundstage. The HD800 presents everything in a 3D-like holographic manner with ample of air between instruments. The HE-5 is noticeably more constricted in its presentation. It's like comparing a 180 degree arc soundscape with a 90 degree one.

Secondly, the bass. It is as clear as day that the HD800 has a deeper extension bass-wise coupled with a more linear presentation, free of bloat. It is perhaps the most neutral bass I've ever heard in headphones. The HE-5's bass is looser, lesser defined and extended in comparison. Some people may consider this a more musical presentation but we are talking about technicalities here.

I would also argue that the HD800 is truer to the source compared to the HE-5 but I'm not sure whether this is an advantage or not. Truthfully speaking, this conclusion is of no surprise to me since one is $1400 and the other is $600.

I agree on the soundstage point - I think the HD800 beats all comers in that one area. But just how important that one area is varies widely from listener to listener. It is not of paramount importance to me personally.

W/r/t deep bass, again I agree that there is more 20-40Hz on the HD800. That said, I prefer the HE-5's overall bass balance. Again, matter of preference.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might at least let him make up his own mind. I sense a little too much defensiveness here every time the comparison is raised. Seems a number of you HD-800 people feel threatened by HE-5 comparisons.

Don't worry Frank, I'll be sure to form my own opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back