HiFiMAN HE-5 Impressions / Review
Jan 28, 2010 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
The following is a compilation of my thoughts/impressions of the HE-5 that I posted in the huge HE-5 initial musings thread, but it got swallowed up there. I thought it may be more helpful if I made a separate thread for it.

Equipment Used: Foobar WASAPITeralink-X2 USB/SPDIF ConverterMisterX y2 DACRockhopper M³ Amp + σ11 Power SupplyHiFiMAN HE-5 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser HD650 + DHC Blackout Cable

I've had these for about 4 weeks now. The first step after receiving any new gear IMO, is to give them a proper burn/break-in. I burned the HE-5s in for a total of 200 hours on top of the 20 hours that Head-Direct put on them. After about 60 hours of pink-noise burn-in I did not hear any significant changes in the sound of the HE-5s. The first 20 hours produced a dramatic improvement in SQ (I'm usually hesitant to use such a strong descriptor but it applies here) after which the changes were quite subtle. Overall, I feel they are a step up from the HD650s (which I used as a comparative benchmark), but not in every single category as I'll explain later.

The treble: I had sibilance before burn-in and now it's mostly gone, even on most of my brightly recorded tracks that are a bit harsh and congested on the HD650+DHC Blackout Cable. This was probably the biggest surprise in my listening tests considering all that's been said about the harshness of the HE-5 around here. I may just have gotten a smooth set, but they have pretty realistic treble reproduction. Quantitatively, there's definitely more of it than the HD650, but it's not sibilant unless the recording is usually. Qualitatively, I think this one area where the HE-5s pull far ahead of the Senns, more so than perhaps any other area (with the exception of soundstaging maybe). I have found a peak in the treble of the HE-5 that makes some recordings sound harsh...something I don't get from any of my other cans.

The bass has better attack, is more textured, airy and resonant (in a positive sense) with a little less overall weight than the HD650s (most noticeably in the midbass). I do feel the HD650s are better damped though. The main difference is the HD650's more prominent mid-bass masking the natural decay and adding a bit of punch of their own. However, I prefer this added punch over the HE-5's presentation often times. I feel the bass quality on the HE-5 is not bad overall, sounding textured and detailed.

If I may digress a bit from the bass, one thing I've found is that the HE-5's, unlike any other headphone I've heard, keep sounding better and more open and engaging as the volume is turned up. The soundstage keeps getting larger and larger, the sound more enveloping...this is in direct contrast to every other headphone I've heard which become fatiguing at higher volumes regardless of their sound signature.

Moving onto resolution, I can hear more low-level details on the HE-5 and a better sense of space because of their remarkable ability to render ambient cues in recordings. In many of my well-recorded tracks, the soundstage is tremendous, reaching far beyond the actual earcups without sounding distant or weak...definitely had me some "wow" moments coming from the HD650 here. Imaging is also a step up from the HD6x0, being accurate and conveyed with startling resolution at times.

Dynamics are also noticeably better on the HE-5 with the same source/amp, and I think this is partly because of the HE-5's more forward nature and better attack/transients in the treble. The HE-5s also do soft passages in a very delicate manner and thus sound effortless. Moreover, they can switch from such passages to loud energetic ones in a dramatic fashion that truly reveal the full dynamic range of the recording.

The biggest strength of these cans has to be the midrange, as good as the other areas are. It's just life-like, instrument timbres are very natural and the aural image of them in space is huge (a lot of this will be recording dependent though). Often times, I genuinely felt the singer or instrumentalist was in the room with me, an effect that hasn't occurred very often with my other headphones, atleast not to this extent. I don't think much more needs to be said about the midrange quality other than the fact that it just sounds real. Compared to the HD650, the mids are recessed, but not unnaturally so. I think one of the HD650's strengths is their profound ability to reproduce the human voice and here, the HE-5 do not exceed them in great measure. They both excel in this department and vocal lovers will be pleased with either. The HD650s emphasize the lower midrange more while the HE-5 show off the upper midrange, so the voicing of the mids is different. The HD650s sound like they add a warm euphony to everything while the HE-5 convey a more natural (balanced) and detailed presentation. They're both quite engaging in their own way, but for overall realism, the nod goes to the HE-5.

As for comfort, they are average. The wide headband can be easily bent to match the shape of the listener's head. Some people may take issue with the weight, and understandably so. To put it in perspective, the HD650 is quite noticeably lighter and puts less pressure on the top of the head, but has a much stronger clamping force. The HE-5 actually remind me of a heavy DT990 in terms of comfort.

Earlier in this thread (...referring to the "He-5...initial musings" thread), Skylab purported that complex passages seem to sound congested on the HE-5 and since a lot of my listening is done with complex orchestral pieces, I was concerned with his finding. Well, I'm glad to report that I tried hard to find any signs of congestion with the most demanding tracks I have (of all different genres BTW) and I never once felt the HE-5s were strained or confusing passages. In fact, I was a bit confused (delighted?) to find the opposite; one of the things that impressed me most was their ability to delineate complex parts and produce such a natural, visceral feeling of a live venue.

Edit: Skylab clarified his statement after burning-in the HE-5. The following are his revised thoughts: "W/r/t my comments about some congestion during complex passages - with more burn in this did ameliorate somewhat. I still think this happens at times, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a big shortcoming - for me it's very minor." -Skylab.

Now for a few negative points. I find these are more helpful sometimes than positive ramblings, so here they are:

1) The wood is fragile and is prone to cracking. Fang says as of January, this issue has been resolved, but time will tell for certain. 2) The bass doesn't extend as far as the HD650 (they're close though), and 20hz is inaudible unless the volume is turned way up. The good thing though is the tone is clean and undistorted.The HE-5s start to roll off near the 35hz mark, and at 25hz SPL decreases sharply. 3) There is also the lack of damping to consider, and the resultant overhang of the decay I mentioned earlier. It is noticeable if the effort is made to listen for it. 4) Absolutely no isolation. This should go without saying but I think they leak as much sound out as they do in. 5) They make you want to increase the volume to bring out the mids sometimes.

Of the "cons" I feel the first 3 are most significant and should be considered before buying these headphones, especially point # 1 (One). The last 2 are really just nitpicking. For #3, I must admit even I am unsure after a few weeks of listening to the HE-5s. It's hard to tell whether the headphones are exhibiting the effect described or just conveying what the upstream gear is doing to the signal. If it's the latter, this could end up being a "pro" rather than a "con" as it would be a sign of exceptional transparency.

I'll be getting the HD800 in a couple weeks (being shipped to me) so I'll get a chance to compare them with the HE-5 thoroughly. I'll update the review then. For anyone wondering, the HE-5s best the HD6x0, DT990, Pro750 and all the lesser cans I own or have tried. That being said, these headphones don't make me want to immediately abandon the HD650s. The Senns are special in that they don't make any major mistakes, even though they may not be the best at any one thing. I still prefer the added warmth and slightly tighter/deeper bass of the HD650s with some tracks, although the majority of my collection sounds better overall with the HE-5s.

I found some frequency graphs that match what I've heard for the most part. Click here to view them.

I also posted a very simple mod for anyone who wants to reduce the treble/increase bass on these. here. More details are provided in the link.

Pictures:

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 69
I just changed my transport and the slightly boomy bass I was experiencing with the HE-5s has lessened. It’s still not as well damped as the HD650 and certainly not as well as the HD800. With regards to the tonal balance, the HE-5 has more bass but depending on the recording, the HD800 can have just as much. I think about half the time, I prefer the bass presentation of the HE-5 over the HD800 because it's more visceral and resonant and you can feel it rattle your head without it being overbearing. With the HD800, it's harder to feel the bass than it is to hear it. The treble is definitely less prominent on the HD800s though. I enjoy the way the HE-5 present their treble and it makes them sound more engaging on some tracks, but there is a small localized peak somewhere in the upper regions that makes some recordings harsh. Lastly, even though I think the midrange quality is close between the HD800 and HE-5, the latter makes voices/instruments sound a bit more realistic while the former makes them sound "bigger" and more detailed.

Moving on, I think the HD800 have a bigger "headstage" but not a significantly deeper "soundstage" than the HE-5 (although it's considerably wider than the HE-5's soundstage). I like how the HE-5 can sound close up, big and holographically open all at the same time, whereas the the HD800 seem distant sometimes, even though they are more resolving of details.
That being said, I've found that for longer listening sessions, I prefer the more relaxed presentation of the HD800.

I’ll end it off with my subjective ratings:

Bass extension: HD800 > HD650 > HE-5

Bass quantity: HD650 > HE-5 > HD800

Bass quality: HD800 > HD650 = HE-5

Treble quantity: HE-5 > HD800 > HD650 (the HE-5 are smooth most of the time but there seems to be a localized peak in the treble that gives trouble with some recordings)

Treble quality: HE-5 = HD800 > HD650

Midrange quantity: HD650 = HD800 > HE-5 (more lower midrange emphasis by the HD650s)

Midrange quality: HD800 > HE-5 > HD650

Timbre/Realism: HE-5 = HD800 > HD650

Dynamics: HD800 > HE-5 > HD650

Soundstage/Headstage size: HD800 > HE-5 > HD650

Imaging sharpness/focus: HD800 = HE-5 > HD650

Resolution (details): HD800 > HE-5 > HD650

Transparency: HD800 > HE-5 > HD650

Comfort: HD800 > HD650 > HE-5 (for me)

Build quality: HD800 > HD650 > HE-5

OVERALL: HD800 > HE-5 > HD650

I can’t take price into account for these ratings because that will depend on the financial situation of the buyer. Personally, I think if you’re on a budget, the HD650 is a tremendous value and I would be perfectly happy with them even after owning/listening to these high-end cans. I don’t think the HD800 and HE-5 are as far apart in performance as their price difference may indicate. Not taking price into account, I do prefer the HD800s with my gear and I plan to keep them.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 69
Nice Review.

Quote:

The HD650s sound like they add a warm euphony to everything while the HE-5 convey a more natural (balanced) and detailed presentation. They're both quite engaging in their own way, but for overall realism, the nod goes to the HE-5.

Quote:

That being said, these headphones don't make me want to immediately abandon the HD650s. The Senns are special in that they don't make any major mistakes, even though they may not be the best at any one thing. I still prefer the added warmth and slightly tighter/deeper bass of the HD650s with some tracks, although the majority of my collection sounds better overall with the HE-5s.

Have to agree with you. The HD650s are indeed special. Why don't you get a balanced M3 in the mean time? That would be sweet with the HD650, the HE5, and the HD800 that you have coming.
popcorn.gif

Now if only the HE5 can offer the same comfort that the HD650 has...

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 69
In my case it was the other way around. I could not listen to the HD650's cause they were too tight and uncomfortable for me where as the HE-5's were nice and comfy well except for the weight.

These are pretty nice headphones and I am thinking of getting a pair for me.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 69
Excellent review! Glad you made a separate thread for it. Well done.

W/r/t my comments about some congestion during complex passages - with more burn in this did ameliorate somewhat. I still think this happens at times, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a big shortcoming - for me it's very minor.

I basically agree with the rest of what you said, and the review itself is outstanding!

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review! Glad you made a separate thread for it. Well done.
W/r/t my comments about some congestion during complex passages - with more burn in this did ameliorate somewhat. I still think this happens at times, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a big shortcoming - for me it's very minor.
I basically agree with the rest of what you said, and the review itself is outstanding!

I'll edit the post to reflect this.
Thanks for the compliment, means a lot coming from one of Head-Fi's premier reviewers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you get a balanced M3 in the mean time? That would be sweet with the HD650, the HE5, and the HD800 that you have coming.
popcorn.gif

Now if only the HE5 can offer the same comfort that the HD650 has...

For comfort, it's a tradeoff IMO. HD650 = light weight, but high clamp. HE-5 = high weight, light clamp.
Balanced M^3 eh...you just reminded me of the Beta22 that slipped from my hands recently, mainly because it was too onerous to ship to Canada. Unfortunately, for this very reason, the amp upgrade will have to wait until I find a builder in Canada.
Speaking of which, I see you're enjoying a balanced Beta yourself
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 69
I usually don't read long posts, but admitting some bias, I enjoyed this one.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 69
Nice review. I agree with most of what you thought. I mostly use the HE-5 in my bedroom rig while the HD800 are in my main rig in the basement, and because the HE-5 are so good I have sold my RS-1 while my HF-2 and HD600 are getting very little use up here.

I think some of your bass findings in regards to quantity will be different for others depending on the amp used, and with my Single Power Sq Wave XL amp the bass is very strong (like with the EF5). However with my Single Power Sq Wave XL amp I agree the 20Hz notes are rolled off in the HE-5 but still strong enough at 25 Hz. My Denon D7000 and custom IEM will play lower, so that is the HE-5 rolling off. I should note that with this amp that my HD600 roll off at the same place.

With Sq Wave XL I think the bass is just perfect. I get both the bass quality and quantity in spades. It's not as good when I listen to the HE-5 with my SAC KH1000, EF5 or WA6; although the WA6 approaches the Sq Wave XL in all but power and impact with them. The ZDT also does justice to the HE-5 bass, but with a very slight accentuation of the upper mids that the Sq Wave doesn't have, but which could be solved with tube rolling.

I also agree about the sound just getting better and better as you turn up the juice. I can play the HE-5 to ridiculously high levels with the Sq Wave XL and they take it without any complaint, just opening up more and more and digging deeper into the music. It's also very clear to me how much the HE-5 scale up with better sources and amps, as there is a good bit more micro detail presented when using the Sq Wave XL, ZDT or WA6 vs the SAC or EF5.

With my HE-5 there has never been any congestion in complex musical passages, nor any treble aberrations or sibilance. The transparency and soundstage of the HD800 are a step above the HE-5, although I may like the HE-5 bass a little more for the extra impact. To me transparency is the ability of the headphone to just disappear, with music coming from somewhere other than the headphone drivers, while sounding real and natural - not even my O2 Mk1 do it quite as well as the HD800. The Senn HE60 and HiFiMan HE-5 come close, but not there yet either.

I don't think the Sq Wave XL could have done this well with HE-5 prior to the Sigma 22 PSU that I got to replace the stock one that died. Prior to getting it up and running I was wishing for the sound quality of the WA6 with the power of the EF5 or SAC, and it was all handed to me in this one amp now. Paired with the right amp the HE-5 fall just a little short of my re-cabled HD800, but 2nd place for 1/3 the cost after cable is pretty darn good! I can see how with one amp someone might even prefer the HE-5 over the HD800 in their reviews, if they couldn't match either phones to the right amp.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some of your bass findings in regards to quantity will be different for others depending on the amp used, and with my Single Power Sq Wave XL amp the bass is very strong (like with the EF5).

I think you are probably right here, considering the changes I heard from using different sources. I can't test your hypothesis because I don't have another amp on hand, but I'll most likely be going to a small meet in a couple weeks where I'll get a chance to try them on a number of different amps. I'll report back then.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 69
What is perplexing is that the impressions of the HE-5, especially in the regards of its treble peak and forwardness, are all over the place. I've tried ting.mike's former HE-5 and it was definitely a forward-sounding can with a treble peak which are a bit Grado-ish but there are people out there who claim that the HE-5 is actually laid-back. I suspect something is up with the QC at Hifiman as I don't think source/amplification can attribute such drastically different views.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #11 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is perplexing is that the impressions of the HE-5, especially in the regards of its treble peak and forwardness, are all over the place. I've tried ting.mike's former HE-5 and it was definitely a forward-sounding can with a treble peak which are a bit Grado-ish but there are people out there who claim that the HE-5 is actually laid-back. I suspect something is up with the QC at Hifiman as I don't think source/amplification can attribute such drastically different views.

I would not call mine laid-back. They are a bit north of neutral when it comes to treble, but the treble is free from graininess and artifacts. The HE-5 just do something to badly recorded tracks that don't make them as fatiguing as they are on my dynamics cans.
But I agree with what you've said, especially in light of the fact that Skylab and one other Head-Fi'er found differences in treble quantity upon comparing 2 sets of HE-5s side by side.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 69
Very nice review, since I got my pair back (loaned to a fellow Head Fier) I have been re-discovering them
wink.gif
. I agree with you this have a very wide soundstage with good depth to it. I find the mids to be as exciting as you mention and at the volume I listen at (very low) these are very airy and engaging cans. Comfort wise although heavier than the HD580/600 they do not have the grip of death that the Senn have.

I certainly hope the wood issues that some members have experienced is a thing of the past and that the small examples of ear-pads seam coming unglued are isolated events. At $600 this are a major bargain and very easy on the ears as well as on the wallet.

Now we need Fang to offer additional cable lengths.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 69
I just ordered a set of RE0 IEMs (to keep at my office) from Fang on Friday and they have already shipped out to me. Great customer service for sure.

I would really like to give these (the HE-5s) a try. I especially like their retro look (like Grado)...really nice. And from the descriptions, they do sound very special. I hope to give them a try down the road.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a set of RE0 IEMs (to keep at my office) from Fang on Friday and they have already shipped out to me. Great customer service for sure.

I would really like to give these a try. I especially like their retro look (like Grado)...really nice. And from the descriptions, they do sound very special. I hope to give them a try down the road.
biggrin.gif

what has this got to do with he-5?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back