HiFiMAN HE-5 Impressions / Review
Jan 31, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what has this got to do with he-5?
smily_headphones1.gif

All I said is that the HE-5s looked really cool (neat retro look) and based on their descriptions, I would really love to give them a try.

I also added that my Head-Direct customer service with another purchase (RE0) was top notch.

So I would think that my previous post has a lot to do with the HE-5s.
wink_face.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I said is that the HE-5s looked really cool (neat retro look) and based on their descriptions, I would really love to give them a try.

I also added that my Head-Direct customer service with another purchase (RE0) was top notch.

So I would think that my previous post has a lot to do with the HE-5s.
wink_face.gif

Yea, they look quite nice in person and their solid build belies their apparent frailty.
On a different note, I'm looking forward to compare the HE-5s to the HD800s, which I should be receiving soon. If it wasn't for you snatching the only T1s they had from our local dealer, I'd be comparing them to the T1s right now.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, they look quite nice in person and their solid build belies their apparent frailty.
On a different note, I'm looking forward to compare the HE-5s to the HD800s, which I should be receiving soon. If it wasn't for you snatching the only T1s they had from our local dealer, I'd be comparing them to the T1s right now.
tongue.gif

That`s hilarious...when I ordered them, he mentioned that there was another very interested buyer who called soon after me for them...was that you
biggrin.gif

I`m listening to them right now with Pink Floyd`s The Final Cut...simply amazing...
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #21 of 69
Nice review Shahrose! Also, nice stand, where'd you source it???

I also prefer the light weight and clamping of my HD650s... I've never been accused of having a big head
tongue.gif
and in fact, the HE-5's feel a bit heavy and loose on my noggin, the headband doesn't really support the weight - not tight enough...

The whole soundstage is somewhat recessed. The HD650's are like sitting in the orchestra seats and the HE-5's in the "family circle" (nearly nose bleed seats here at the MET). My wallet and ears tend to prefer the family circle seats, but I really do enjoy a more up front presentation while listening to recordings.... But the HE-5's in clarity etc, are really amazing and a true bargain!

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

That`s hilarious...when I ordered them, he mentioned that there was another very interested buyer who called soon after me for them...was that you
biggrin.gif

frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by agbassano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review Shahrose! Also, nice stand, where'd you source it???

I acquired the stand a few years back. I remember my mother came back from shopping one day and this was sitting on the kitchen table. I asked her what it was, but I had already claimed it as my new headphone stand before she answered.

If you're wondering what her response was: "it's a cup holder...come back with that"... and its been mine ever since.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by richbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is srh840 compared to this ?
thanks

I heard the SRH840 at CanJam and they seemed to be a nice flat sounding closed can that didn't sound very closed. The SRH were more neutral than the fun and happy sounding HE-5, but they were also significantly easier to drive. The SRH did equally as well on the TTVJ portable amp as the TTVJ FET-A desktop amp, meaning they didn't scale up a whole lot with a better rig.

Fang says the HE-5 need an amp with 2 watts of power into 32 ohms to really shine. I find they can sound nice on an amp with 1/4 that much, but they don't get to earsplitting bass-pounding levels with less than the recommended amp. I found the EF-5, SAC KH1000, Solo SRG II and ZDT all have enough power.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame you can't buy a Sq Wave XL anymore.

While it's fine you like that amp, I for one would appreciate it if you no longer mentioned that amp on Head-Fi or anywhere else. Are you seriously suggesting that if Singlepower were still around that people should buy the amp? Mikhail outright lied to me about the manufacturing date of an amp that I got from him and if he lied to me about that, I would call into question a number of other claims that he made about the amp. If I could retract my publicly posted opinion of the single-ended Square Wave then I would, but I wasn't allowed to when I asked.

Mikhail and SP don't deserve any press positive or otherwise at this point and every time you mention that amp, all you're doing is contributing press.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it's fine you like that amp, I for one would appreciate it if you no longer mentioned that amp on Head-Fi or anywhere else. Are you seriously suggesting that if Singlepower were still around that people should buy the amp? Mikhail outright lied to me about the manufacturing date of an amp that I got from him and if he lied to me about that, I would call into question a number of other claims that he made about the amp. If I could retract my publicly posted opinion of the single-ended Square Wave then I would, but I wasn't allowed to when I asked.

Mikhail and SP don't deserve any press positive or otherwise at this point and every time you mention that amp, all you're doing is contributing press.

NO. I would never recommend SP or Mikhail again. But the amp sounded good. I am lamenting over the fact that that someone reputable doesn't make this amp instead.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

I`m listening to them right now with Pink Floyd`s The Final Cut...simply amazing...
wink.gif

If the HE-5 are capable of making that album enjoyable to listen to, then they are a very special headphone indeed! (Sorry, I couldn't resist - I'm a huge David Gilmour fan and so TFC still irritates me all these years later).

I have been enjoying the HE-5 balanced so much through the Phoenix that I wish I still had the Einar Sound balanced amp to try them through as well, to see if that $600 amp sound do them justice. I wish I could afford to buy every amp I ever review and keep them in a closet somewhere
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the HE-5 are capable of making that album enjoyable to listen to, then they are a very special headphone indeed! (Sorry, I couldn't resist - I'm a huge David Gilmour fan and so TFC still irritates me all these years later).

I have been enjoying the HE-5 balanced so much through the Phoenix that I wish I still had the Einar Sound balanced amp to try them through as well, to see if that $600 amp sound do them justice. I wish I could afford to buy every amp I ever review and keep them in a closet somewhere
biggrin.gif

I'm a huge David Gilmour fan too...but I also like Roger Waters. To me the whole was definitely worth more than the sum of the parts. You're right about TFC though...Roger is a little to self indulgent on that one!
wink.gif

I really have to hear the HE-5s...they do sound very intriguing.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #29 of 69
Ahhhh...I see now you were saying the T1's made Final Cut sound great - got it. The HE-5's are excellent headphones, and great for the money - but they are no T1
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhhh...I see now you were saying the T1's made Final Cut sound great - got it. The HE-5's are excellent headphones, and great for the money - but they are no T1
biggrin.gif

Would you recommend the HE-5s over the RS1s? Maybe that's another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back