Hifiman HE-400 vs Denon D2000??
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Wintersxx866

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm stuck between either the Hifiman HE-400 vs the Denon D2k on sound quality.  Both are within my current price range and if I get the Denon, I'll definitely try getting a Fiio Dac or something more than just my current Fiio E11...  But yes I really want your guy's opinion on these two.  I really like bass but not overly a bass head.  I want the music to be slightly off neutral and more "fun." I just want some opinions on these two based on the following criteria:

Bass
Mids with great male and female vocal clarity that are slightly forward
Airy Trebles
Detail retrieval 
Highs that are not harsh
Huge soundstage 

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 15
I have the d2000 but not the he400. You will probable be better off with the he400 than the d2000 as the d2000 mids are not forward, but slightly recess behind the bass. But even so I do find the d2000 fun. You also might want to check out the maddogs with the alpha pads as I heard they seem to be a good contender in this price rang for fun headphones.

I'm also looking toward to the he400,but leaning toward the maddog as they seem more comfortable (he400 are heavy).

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 15
HE400.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmmm very interesting! I have actually never heard of the Mad Dogs lol... Maybe because I'm a noobie and not even close to being in the headphone area for long. I'll definitely look them up and they look interesting! The only thing I'm kinda scared of is that I'm afraid of the HE-400s carrying fatiguing mids in male voices that sound harsh... I know the rule of garbage in and garbage out but I don't think spotify with 320 kbps MP3s is that bad though... Or I maybe wrong?... Or my ATH Pro700 MK2s might just be weird?...

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 15
I would have to say the D2000. What price are you able to buy it at? It's usually pretty sporadic, but there are good deals every once in awhile.

D2000's are definitely more "fun" than the HE-400 IMO. Both have a slightly recessed midrange, with a somewhat harsh treble.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 15
Hmmmm my price range is at maximum 400 dollars which is the same price as the HE400s lol I'm not exactly sure how to say what my tastes are on sound signature but I can say that while listening to some ATH M50s I found that they are a bit harsh if it helps to make it easier for somebody to give me a comparison.  Like the vocals sound great on the M50 but the tiny sound stage makes voices sound harsh at times.  Like vocals with the M50 clarity but expanded would be preferred.  Also the M50s lack bass just a tad too by only a few notches. Like the stock bass on an amped unEQed ATH Pro700 MK2 is perfect

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 15
 Owning both... tough call. The HE-400 just does everything well (for me). I love the D2k for many bass heavy genres as a (semi) closed can, but it spends a lot of time hung up and the HE-400's spend more time on my head. /end subjective opinion/

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Hmmmm my price range is at maximum 400 dollars which is the same price as the HE400s lol I'm not exactly sure how to say what my tastes are on sound signature but I can say that while listening to some ATH M50s I found that they are a bit harsh if it helps to make it easier for somebody to give me a comparison.  Like the vocals sound great on the M50 but the tiny sound stage makes voices sound harsh at times.  Like vocals with the M50 clarity but expanded would be preferred.  Also the M50s lack bass just a tad too by only a few notches. Like the stock bass on an amped unEQed ATH Pro700 MK2 is perfect

Why not something like a HD598? It's a better all-arounder than both the HE-400 and D2000, has a better midrange than both, as well as having a nice open soundstage.

If you found the M50 lacked bass a bit, the HE-400 wouldn't be a good bet. Better clarity and extension? Yes, but no open headphone I've tried matches closed for bass output.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Why not something like a HD598? It's a better all-arounder than both the HE-400 and D2000, has a better midrange than both, as well as having a nice open soundstage.

If you found the M50 lacked bass a bit, the HE-400 wouldn't be a good bet. Better clarity and extension? Yes, but no open headphone I've tried matches closed for bass output.

HD598 has better mids than the HE-400? Also, I'd say the HE-400 is a better all-rounder since it has a bit more bass.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Quote:
HD598 has better mids than the HE-400? Also, I'd say the HE-400 is a better all-rounder since it has a bit more bass.

Yup. I don't find the HE-400's mids anything special. HD598 has a better uniformity across the board IMO.

Fair enough.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
He's currently using ADH 700MKIIs and likes the Bass on those. They have 53mm drivers and a LOT of bass. Are the HE400s going to be enough bass for the OP? 

I'd have to say no way. I've owned the 700 MKII and they have FAR more bass output. If one has their priorities in bass, I'd cross open headphones off the list.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 15
Interesting??... I understand bass output on open headphones is pretty light but can the HE400s not come close to even a slightly bassy pro700?? Like I mean completely unEQed and amped.  I mean if I EQ the crap out of the pro700s I can get the to become two subwoofers which is uber nice but I'm just looking for a bit of bass slightly heavier than the normal M50 and almost to the level of the Pro700 stock.  I feel that if I get the Denon, those wont have the vocal clarity I'm looking for.  I guess what I'm saying is that I would love great and airy trebles and also good mids that aren't terribly recessed without being overly deprived of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back