HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 29, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #813 of 903

Quote:
I'm at home right now so I only have my macbook.
At school, I have a desktop with a audio chip similar in quality to a E7 from what I've read on here.
I am listening to mostly FLAC files and a few 320 mp3's.
I do like classical but i also like female vocal stuff, alternative rock and screamo.
I don't listen to any electronic, hiphop or rap.

I was thinking about getting a matrix m stage or a O2 amp cause my budget isn't that high being a student and all.
Would either of those be powerful enough to drive these to near max potential?
Also, no channel imbalance at all.

Honestly i was set on getting a Q701 and matrix m stage before they announced this headphone.
I was drawn in by the planar hype and also seeing these claiming they don't need much juice to sound good.
In music, I value clarity and soundstage above other aspects.
Would I be happier with the AKG's?

Quote:
1.  There is no hype.  They are superior. 
wink_face.gif

2.  If those are really your only priorities and you are ok maximizing them with colorations, then maybe so, yes. 

I had a friend do an informal comparison to his Q701s & my K501s. He thought the HE400s were superior over the AKGs in all aspects except for the soundstage. This was done using an O2 amp.

Regarding amping, I think the O2 amp does a pretty good job of amping the HE400s, though since it is fairly transparent, the DAC also makes a noticeable difference to the end sound. I had good results with the O2 & the grubDAC. Definitely worth the effort if you can DIY.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #814 of 903
Krylon's Fusion for plastic.  the 360 tip sucks but for a light coat on a headphone it would work okay.

Fairytale Pink or Spring Grass would look nice.

No sanding or priming required
Bonds easily to most plastics, PVC, resin and more
Fast dry; fully chip resistant after 7 days

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #815 of 903
What I meant was it looks like if you can separate it easily, the blue parts look like they would be a relatively easy shape to sand and repaint, for those of us who like a little diy project.
I have seen examples with other headphones and from the sounds of things these are fairly easy to take apart.
Not sure if I would do it myself but it could be fun. Might even do some mock ups to see how they could look, digital arts and craft is more my thing.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #817 of 903
People here rave about how good those headphones are for electronic music, but can anyone say how they'd fare with different genres?
For example could anyone describe how would they perform on songs like
Paint it Black - Rolling Stones
Wasteland - Woodkid
Fool in the Rain - Led Zeppelin 
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles 
These songs (and similar) are what I listen to, do you think the HE-400 could do them justice?

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #818 of 903
Jan 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #822 of 903

Quote:
Right driver went today. Tightening the screws doesn't do anything anymore. Why can't these stay working?! 

Because they have a (now known) internal design defect. Most if not all of the first batch of HE-400s are defective it seems, or at least potentially...even working ones could suddenly go out. Hence you guys are getting new drivers by next week.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #823 of 903

Quote:
We will ship out replacement drivers today. We will email instructions to those who will soldering the drivers. 2nd batch will be finished in the 2nd week of Feb. We plan to run-in for a whole week before shipping

Appreciate the update.  Speaking only for myself take as much time as needed.  I don't mind the delay so much.  Rather have all the kinks ironed out instead

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #824 of 903

Quote:
We will ship out replacement drivers today. We will email instructions to those who will soldering the drivers. 2nd batch will be finished in the 2nd week of Feb. We plan to run-in for a whole week before shipping

Very cool.
What do you play to run-in the drivers? Pink noise?

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #825 of 903

Quote:
Right driver went today. Tightening the screws doesn't do anything anymore. Why can't these stay working?! 

Same here. Too bad, I'm going to send it back for replacement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back