HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #721 of 903

Quote:

Kilo, I'm not ready to call them muffled. I'm saying there is a thickness or lushness to the upper bass that I think affects the midrange. I'm definitely not used to this type of sound. I used to think my 600's were smooth and possessing rich body. When I switch from the 400's to the 600's, I'm shocked how thin the 600's sound.

I readily admit I'm not a skilled listener. It's like the longer I listen, the more accustomed I get and the less I notice distinct qualities. Then when I switch, the difference seems huge, until I listen for a while.

I'm sure the experts around here can relate and explain it better. I'm trying to be objective for you though...
redface.gif

lol o ok kool. I can't stand muffle, veil, etc. Do the 400 lose anything in terms of smoothness vs 600?

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #722 of 903

I took the left side apart again and tightened the hell out of the little nuts and screws that sandwich the driver between the two plates. Luckily I had a tiny wrench from my RC days. It seems to have resolved the issue for the time being. Lets see if it lasts. I don't know how many of these disassemeblies the plastic threads can take before they strip.
Quote:

I know how you feel.  My set are sitting on the table next to me, their giant flat drivers still.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #723 of 903
I've disassembled them, tightened the screws down on both sides, still get random cut outs. Not just on the left side, but both and it's very random. Hopefully your's stay fixed like the others who got that fix to work.

Oddly, though, if they go out I can plug them into my vintage receiver and sound comes back 90% of the time, then they'll work on all my sources for 10 minutes to 2 hours and cut out again. So, I guess I'll hang on to them for a week or so before I send them in for a replacement when the next batch is made.

Kind of annoying, but on the plus side, it did make me realize my old receiver needs a good servicing as the channel balance is way off on it.
Quote:
I took the left side apart again and tightened the hell out of the little nuts and screws that sandwich the driver between the two plates. Luckily I had a tiny wrench from my RC days. It seems to have resolved the issue for the time being. Lets see if it lasts. I don't know how many of these disassemeblies the plastic threads can take before they strip.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #724 of 903
I actually had the same weird issue, when I would unplug my source and plug it back in, the sound would come back, just to go out in a few seconds mid song. They've been ok for the past 20 min thou. I've been pressing and shaking them to try to recreate the issue, so far so good. Fingers crossed. Just worried how the plastic inside is going to hold up to the tightened screws. Still don't get what was wrong. The screws nuts weren't loose upon inspection, I just over tightened them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #725 of 903

Quote:

I've got no continuity on the left channel at all, so there doesn't seem to be much chance of tightening it fixing them.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #726 of 903
Yay mine came this morning
biggrin.gif
 (just fyi, the fedex website still says they're stuck in Tsuen Wan being an undeliverable package)
Here are just a few snaps. -56k warning-

Build quality wise, the gimbals and cups are pretty much solid and i don't have many (if any) qualms about them. The head band is made of this soft faux leather material which feels pretty nice but the stitching is abit iffy. There are some bits of flash on the cable not that it really affects anything, i just though that it would be worth mention

So far only listened for maybe 20min and i haven't experienced any of the channel imbalance/cut out problems (touch wood). It definitely is the heaviest headphone i've worn (coming from an ATH-300) but the headband does a pretty great job alleviating the weight. The only worry i have so far is the weight of the 1/4" jack combined with the 1/8" adapter damaging the plug of my sound card
wink_face.gif
. On that note, FWIW, at highest gain on my Xonar DG, my ad300's took maybe 8 volume before getting unbearably loud while these need anywhere from 20 to 40 depending on whether you're listening classical or rock songs.
Might post some listening impressions once i've had more time with them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #727 of 903

Quote:
 The only worry i have so far is the weight of the 1/4" jack combined with the 1/8" adapter damaging the plug of my sound card
wink_face.gif
. On that note, FWIW, at highest gain on my Xonar DG, my ad300's took maybe 8 volume before getting unbearably loud while these need anywhere from 20 to 40 depending on whether you're listening classical or rock songs.

What HP Advanced setting is that on?  (lil hammer looking button near the analog out in the xonar DG audio center)
-VOIP mode or for <32ohms headsets
-pro-gaming mode or for 32~64ohms headets
-Exciter mode or for >64ohms headsets?

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #731 of 903
Help please! If anyone could tell me please do!

Where could I find just the little golden nuts that's attached to the ends of this ungodly heavy headphone cable??

I want to construct a lighter cable out of plain ole small gauge speaker wire.

There is also a sheathing or cloth braid im curious to track down n order for my diy cable..

Anyone! any info. Much appreciate it.

With the oem cable I feel like I have the turkey neck thing going on.. "extra skin under chin feeling"..

Also if anyone knows of any other pads that i could use in place of the oem pads because they began to irritate me. My opinion "alil stiff for my liking"..

Narrow small head not a Hugh Mellon.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #732 of 903
Uh-oh. Was that a sound cut on my left cup there? Twice?

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #733 of 903

it's on their website ... for the little golden nuts... under HE accessories
Quote:
Help please! If anyone could tell me please do!
Where could I find just the little golden nuts that's attached to the ends of this ungodly heavy headphone cable??
I want to construct a lighter cable out of plain ole small gauge speaker wire.
There is also a sheathing or cloth braid im curious to track down n order for my diy cable..
Anyone! any info. Much appreciate it.
With the oem cable I feel like I have the turkey neck thing going on.. "extra skin under chin feeling"..
Also if anyone knows of any other pads that i could use in place of the oem pads because they began to irritate me. My opinion "alil stiff for my liking"..
Narrow small head not a Hugh Mellon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back