HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #706 of 903

Quote:
I would pay that extra for sure
And about the HD650 vs HE-400, they're so different you can't compare them. I wouldn't choose the he-400 over the Senn though

Thanks a lot. I'm waiting for my pair to be shipped so will hear which one i like more. The reason i decided to preorder is because i had a chance to hear preproduction copy of what i would assume became HE-500 during March 2011 NYC meet and they sounded way better than my HD650 with BlueDragon cable i have

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #707 of 903
 I've fallen victim to the left side cutting out too.

Edit: just did the screw tightening fix and everything appears to be normal again. Hopefully this is a one-time issue
gs1000.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #708 of 903

Quote:
Quote:

I agree to most of this, still have to listen some more. I wouldn't call it a HD650 killer right away, the sound is different.
I however do not agree with an earlier post that the HE-400 is 95% of the lcd-2 at 1/3 the price. The HE-400 is still reasonably far behind the HE-500 and LCD-2 which are still better in all aspects
It also depends a lot on what amp you use with it, tubes make it very warm, SS makes it even a bit bright sounding, the difference is amazing

I'd like a HE-500 with the HE-400 bass punch, but with the He-500 detail and depth. HE-450 :D

The earlier post refers to one made by palmfish on the other HE-400 thread. When you say better in all aspects, were you able to do an extensive a/b in a controlled setting with the aformentioned cans? If so, would be great to hear some details if it's not too much trouble :)

All due respect to palmfish, but didn't he do the LCD-2 comparison under meet conditions? I'd be more inclined to "trust" impressions from someone who owns the gear and can listen to these headphones through familiar components, ie Ultrainferno.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #709 of 903
It was under meet conditions, but the lack of treble compared to the lcd2 could have been discerned in the middle of a construction zone. It was easily noticable. I have had the he500, and the soundstage and treble were not even close to what was coming from the he 400. As far as the general tone of the can, it was more similar to the lcd2 than the he500. I was very surprised because they didnt have the nice treble that the he6/and he500 is know for. The only thing that could be a distinguishing factor is they were brand new out of the box with no burnin.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #710 of 903

Quote:
It was under meet conditions, but the lack of treble compared to the lcd2 could have been discerned in the middle of a construction zone. It was easily noticable. I have had the he500, and the soundstage and treble were not even close to what was coming from the he 400. As far as the general tone of the can, it was more similar to the lcd2 than the he500. I was very surprised because they didnt have the nice treble that the he6/and he500 is know for. The only thing that could be a distinguishing factor is they were brand new out of the box with no burnin.

Very interesting. What are the burn-in requirements for the 400 anyone know? Glad to see more comments on 400 vs 500 comin out. Still wanna try the 400 for myself but right now I'm leaning towards the 500 since I listen to mostly classical/jazz and won't need the added bass of the 400 necessarily. Cheers to all the contributors, you've all been very helpful!

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #711 of 903

Quote:

I guess that explains why the HE-400 is only 95% of an LCD-2.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #712 of 903
I have had more time to listen to the 400 on my own rig under "normal" conditions and have a bit to add.

The midrange is what is jumping out at me with these headphones. Vocals have a sort of "cupped hands" sound to them that I don't like. This may be described as a "lushness" that some may like, because vocals definitely are forward, but this is the "hollow" sound I was trying to describe before.

I also detect the upper bass intruding on the lower mids - which may actually be what's causing the vocals to sound a little "muffled."

I didn't notice as dramatic a difference in treble between these and the LCD-2 as KingStyles did, but I agree with his observations in general. I still say they are significantly darker than the HD600. Here is where I'm describing how hard it is to hear gentle wire brush strokes and cymbal tap sounds compared to the HD600, yet there is some "sizzle" above those frequencies that I can hear - almost as though there is a dip in the mid-treble region.

I'm sorry I can't articulate it better, but that's how I'm hearing things right now. I'm letting them burn in right now and will continue over the next few days. I really don't like them right now (I don't like the LCD-2 either FWIW), but I don't have a lot of faith that a planar headphone (or any headphone for that matter) can change significantly with time.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #713 of 903
The 500 is a good classical/jazz can. It has good bass also. I was using mine for that purpose and my lcd2 for rock/pop/vocal. I ended up selling my he500 because I needed some quick cash, not because I didnt like them.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #714 of 903

Quote:
The 500 is a good classical/jazz can. It has good bass also. I was using mine for that purpose and my lcd2 for rock/pop/vocal. I ended up selling my he500 because I needed some quick cash, not because I didnt like them.

Do you listen to more rock/pop/vocal music and prefer the warmer/darker LCD2 signature?

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #715 of 903

Quote:
I have had more time to listen to the 400 on my own rig under "normal" conditions and have a bit to add.

The midrange is what is jumping out at me with these headphones. Vocals have a sort of "cupped hands" sound to them that I don't like. This may be described as a "lushness" that some may like, because vocals definitely are forward, but this is the "hollow" sound I was trying to describe before.

I also detect the upper bass intruding on the lower mids - which may actually be what's causing the vocals to sound a little "muffled."

That's what I was afraid of. Me no like muffled >_< ::pound wooden club on rock::

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #716 of 903

Quote:
Kilo - I won't repeat what I wrote in the other thread, but to summarize, I think the HE-400 is basically a LCD-2 R2 clone. Made in China and sold at 1/3rd the price, it is so similar in sound that you could almost dismiss it as a production variance. To pick nits, the HE-400 has slightly less controlled bass (someone else noticed this more than me, I didn't really pick up on it), the HE-400 mids sound slightly recessed to me (again, extremely subtle, but kind of a hollow distance with jazz vocals), and the highs were a smidge less present (wire brush strokes and cymbal taps were a little dimmer) IMO, only the pickiest (or brand conscious) audiophile would think the LCD-2 is worth $600 more than the HE-400.

Austin - The meet was great - sorry you couldn't make it. There was a geat turnout (over 50 people if I had to guess) and a lot of nice high-end gear. I particularly liked the Jolida tube amp and DAC with breakout box and the stunning Audio Technica ATH-L3000 with matching amp. Wow, what magic came out of those cans! I also learned that there is a Grado headphone that I actually like - the 225i. Finally, I won one of the amplifiers that was raffled off - a nice way to cap off a fun afternoon! Hopefully we'll see you at the next one!

Thanks for the impressions, Palmfish, but I'll definitely make room for the next one!

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #717 of 903

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of. Me no like muffled >_< ::pound wooden club on rock::

Kilo, I'm not ready to call them muffled. I'm saying there is a thickness or lushness to the upper bass that I think affects the midrange. I'm definitely not used to this type of sound. I used to think my 600's were smooth and possessing rich body. When I switch from the 400's to the 600's, I'm shocked how thin the 600's sound.

I readily admit I'm not a skilled listener. It's like the longer I listen, the more accustomed I get and the less I notice distinct qualities. Then when I switch, the difference seems huge, until I listen for a while.

I'm sure the experts around here can relate and explain it better. I'm trying to be objective for you though...
redface.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #718 of 903
Just when I started to love these, the left side has begun to act up. Left driver gone, then comes back, then gone again, then comes back half volume. :frowning2:

Edit: the issue is gone if I press the cup towards my head, but comes back eventually. All the screws and nuts are tight.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #719 of 903

Quote:
Just when I started to love these, the left side has begun to act up. Left driver gone, then comes back, then gone again, then comes back half volume. :frowning2:

Edit: the issue is gone if I press the cup towards my head, but comes back eventually. All the screws and nuts are tight.

If you have a soldering iron, HiFiMAN is going to mail you guys new drivers I think.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #720 of 903

Quote:

I know how you feel.  My set are sitting on the table next to me, their giant flat drivers still.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back