hifiman HE-400, only for home use ?
Feb 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

supracrazy_tommy

Head-Fier
  So I heard that Planar headphones are the high ends of full sized headphones.  This is an odd comparison, but how do the he-400 compare to dynamic headphones like the v-moda m-100 or senn momentums.  The source I use is the hisound 3rd gen studios.  

Most planar headphones start at the $1000 range, but the he-400 seem to be a very affordable planar headphone.  Will I be blown away with these headphones compare to the dynamic ones ?  

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Will I be blown away with these headphones compare to the dynamic ones ?  

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I have not demoed M100 yet but have the Momentums, and trust me, HE400's resolution and fidelity are leagues ahead. Although don't rule out other dynamic options like Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K702anniv, those are in the similar pricerange and are on par with HE400 in a lot of aspects.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
  So I heard that Planar headphones are the high ends of full sized headphones.  This is an odd comparison, but how do the he-400 compare to dynamic headphones like the v-moda m-100 or senn momentums.  The source I use is the hisound 3rd gen studios.  

Most planar headphones start at the $1000 range, but the he-400 seem to be a very affordable planar headphone.  Will I be blown away with these headphones compare to the dynamic ones ?  

Heya,

The HE400 is technically better. You'll hear nothing but praise in that regard. The mids of orthos are other worldly. The bass extension is better. The control & texture is better.

However, I will be a realist and mention that just because it technically is better doesn't mean you will like the sound better. A lot of people come from different sonic preferences and when they hear a relatively flat neutral headphone with deep extension it often times is `boring' to them and they want their "V" response back or something. I would suggest you audition them if possible. They are great headphones, very much highly recommended if you want near-high-end sound with a mid-fi budget. Plus they're efficient and will run from most sources no problem making them even more affordable as you won't need a small power plant to make them shine.

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

However, I will be a realist and mention that just because it technically is better doesn't mean you will like the sound better. A lot of people come from different sonic preferences and when they hear a relatively flat neutral headphone with deep extension it often times is `boring' to them and they want their "V" response back or something. I would suggest you audition them if possible.

Exactly. Case in point, below.

Quote:
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I have not demoed M100 yet but have the Momentums, and trust me, HE400's resolution and fidelity are leagues ahead. Although don't rule out other dynamic options like Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K702anniv, those are in the similar pricerange and are on par with HE400 in a lot of aspects.

Ive been comparing the HE-400 and HE-500 to the PX100-II for the past couple days and I vastly prefer the PX100-II to the HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back