HiFiMAN HE 400 & Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads
Mar 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JD1993

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to preface this by saying that i already have the HiFiMAN HE 400's. I need a pair of headphones that I can take outside with some good isolation. However, I don't want to lose much audio quality by going portable. I have a FiiO E17 for portable use, so amping shouldn't be a problem. This post is mainly for me to know what to expect with the Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads in comparison to my HiFiMAN HE 400's. More specifically, I'd like to know about: treble, mids, bass, soundstage, imaging, impact, and comfort. Isolation would also be nice, but it wouldn't be much of a comparison to the HiFiMAN's.

Thanks very much all,
JD 

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I tried my HE-400 with my Dog Pad, and I tell you this in short: it makes your HE-400 sound like beats (bass is super muddy). I change it within 30s and never look back again. 
Alpha Pads, I dont know, but with my Denon J$pad, it sounds ok  (the treble is bit bright) I prefer Beyer J$pad with HE-400 just because the comfort is awesome. I dont want to have a pain after listening  music.

He's asking about a comparison between the two headphones, not pad switching.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
He's asking about a comparison between the two headphones, not pad switching.

LOL, sorry for the wrong post. There will be better people answer his question better than me :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 8
If anyone has an answer or a review or comparison or something, I'm still interested in knowing.

You should try posting in the Mad Dogs threa you'll probably get a number of good responses.
Also the search function in the Mad Dogs thread for mentions of the 400. You'll find some good comparisons that way.

I can't compare to the 400 but I'll tell you that I find the MDs to have amazing isolation and SQ. Waiting on my portable amp to arrive then I'll try taking them out and report.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Kamakahah, which port. amp did you purchase? I just bought my pair of mad dogs and am too looking to buy a good portable amp. While I do like the Schiit stack I need something portable that will power them just as well for under the 200$ price range.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 8
I love my schiit stack to death with my Mad Dogs. As for portable, it's a question often asked on the Mad Dogs thread but few answers are present.
I have a C&C BH coming from Hong Kong, from the eBay seller Pollychen for $95. One thread member said he auditioned them and it sounds good. Personally I think it will be decent for the Mad Dogs, but there are much better out there. I'm getting the C&C BH for some of my other cans and IEMs as well;it just fit my budget.
I don't think you'll find a portable as good as a schiit stack for the same price, but you can probably find something that is pretty good. Sorry I can't tell you what that would be though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back