HIFIMAN HE-4 UPGRADE ?
Jun 26, 2015 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

valtopps

100+ Head-Fier
haven't been here (head-fi) in a while and not sure if any new hp are the talk of the town. I was thinking of getting something better then my he-4 any suggestions.

here's my setup:

pangea silver usb
bifrost uber
audioquest cheetah silver rca
 hifiman ef5
he-4
adcom power conditioner
ps audio a/c cables

thanks,
nick

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 9
haven't been here (head-fi) in a while and not sure if any new hp are the talk of the town. I was thinking of getting something better then my he-4 any suggestions.

here's my setup:

pangea silver usb
bifrost uber
audioquest cheetah silver rca
 hifiman ef5
he-4
adcom power conditioner
ps audio a/c cables

thanks,
nick

I'm sure you could spend a boat load trying to match the performance of the HE-4. I tossed on some LCD vegan pads on mine and the comfort and performance were improved enough where I almost never listen to my HD800.

If you're looking to spend double... Or more of what you paid for the HE-4, there's gotta be something out there that can best it!

I recommend with your setup... Since I've been there, upgrade your dac and you'll see some surprising gains. I never particularly felt my Bifrsot or EF-5 paired to the point of showing off the HE-4's potential.

Keep in mind, many HE-4 owners "graduated" to Stax setups... That's quite the jump to see tangible gains, imho.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 9
At this point, personal preferences play a very important role.
The HE-1000 sounds like a safe way to go, but it's really expensive.

HD800 should work as well, but again, personal preferences might push you back to your HE-4s, that's a possibility.

You could also read about the new Mr. Speakers Ether.

Best Luck!

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 9
You already have the Bifrost Uber, right? In that case, upgrading the DAC would give you minimal differences in SQ, if any at all.

Put your money toward better headphones :)

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 9
i still haven't changed a thing , should i go with the newer bifost dac or is there the new hifiman hp's
How much are you looking to spend?

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 9
not $2100.00 
eek.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 9
not $2100.00 :eek:
I have not heard the HE-4's so I can't say what might be better if any. I have the HE-400's and HE-400S's and have heard most of there line as in 500's 560's HE-6's and HE1K's. They are all different to me. The 1K's are great headphones to be sure but not quite my cup of tea I think a properly driven HE-6 is way more fun but then your getting into the more you don't want to spend. I agree that a DAC change I don't think will make things all that much better. What is it that you want different or the same? I just bought a pair of Koss ESP-950's and am quite taken with the sound. Just something to consider as they don't get too much love on head fi. They are not as good as my Ether-C's for most things but really fun to listen to. For $ 600 bucks really good sounding can I must say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back