HiFiMan HE-300 to V-Moda M-100. Upgrade or sidegrade? [Solved, getting Senn. Momentum]
Mar 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 64
The H6 is definitely not bassy enough for you. 

I've tested them and I like them. With an amp they are quite full and the bass isn't very boosted but it does sound good.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #18 of 64
B&W P7 are on the expensive side though I like them. KEF are on ear so no to those.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 64
B&W P7 are on the expensive side though I like them. KEF are on ear so no to those.

P7 would actually fit what you're looking for.  So would the UE 9000 (same price), they are darker than the P7 (maybe look into the UE 6000?  I'm not sure if this has been stated yet, but the NAD VISO HP50 may be worth looking for.  I would call them bassy, but they do have a bass focus and a darker signature, might fit your tastes. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #20 of 64
P7 would actually fit what you're looking for.  So would the UE 9000 (same price), they are darker than the P7 (maybe look into the UE 6000?  I'm not sure if this has been stated yet, but the NAD VISO HP50 may be worth looking for.  I would call them bassy, but they do have a bass focus and a darker signature, might fit your tastes. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have found used Momentums for VERY cheap, so I think I will go with those, at least for now. If I do not like them, I'll look into the NAD Viso HP50, B&W P7, UE600 and HD6, 7, and 8.

You guys have been very helpful, thanks.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #21 of 64
The HE-300 and the M100 sound nothing alike. To me, M100 > HE300 and HE400 by a damn wide margin. Keep in mind you're talking closed-back dynamic vs open-back planar. Wildly different sounds, and I prefer the M100 significantly. If someone is a lover of the HiFiMan or Audeze sound, the M100 will sound like garbage, but I could easily say HiFiman sounds like thin garbage with just as much credibility. 
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #22 of 64
  The HE-300 and the M100 sound nothing alike. To me, M100 > HE300 and HE400 by a damn wide margin. Keep in mind you're talking closed-back dynamic vs open-back planar. Wildly different sounds, and I prefer the M100 significantly. If someone is a lover of the HiFiMan or Audeze sound, the M100 will sound like garbage, but I could easily say HiFiman sounds like thin garbage with just as much credibility. 
wink.gif

I haven't heard the HiFiMan planars (excited to hear the 560 if I get them though!), but have heard 3 of their IEMs (RE-0, RE-400, RE-600) which all sound wildly different than the M-100...  OK, what's my point?  The M-100 doesn't sound like garbage. And actually you can't just say the HiFiMan sounds like garbage with credibility...  It'd be without (proper) reason(ing).  Even then...  It's hard to find a garbage headphone XD.  I thought I knew garbage, then I tried the PureSound 10mm (PUR-1000) and it redefined what garbage was :p

Also note that the OP stated that he wants a dark warm bassy sound...  So the M-100's V-shape may not suit him, the bass most certainly will. I still think something like the HP50 will suit him much better though. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 64
I was responding to this:

Quote:
No need to be rude. Just trying to help out. The M100s (as well as every other V-Moda headphone I've tried) sound like absolute garbage. Just trying to save you some pennies.

I didn't say HFM headphones are garbage. I said I could say that with as much credibility as the above.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 64
  I was responding to this:

I didn't say HFM headphones are garbage. I said I could say that with as much credibility as the above.

You probably should have quoted that then... Would have avoided a lot of confusion XD  But you are right in saying that if he was into HiFiMan headphones, he may not like the M-100.  I think he might enjoy them, but they aren't dark by any means. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 64
I definitely dislike V and U-shaped sound signatures. The V-Moda's are clearly off the list. I'll be picking up some Momentum's used soon. If I dislike them, I'll just sell and try something else.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 64
I definitely dislike V and U-shaped sound signatures. The V-Moda's are clearly off the list. I'll be picking up some Momentum's used soon. If I dislike them, I'll just sell and try something else.

Well, I'm glad you saw the additional posts then :wink:  If you buy off of Amazon, you can return them instead of selling them (might save you a few bucks in the long run) :wink: 

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #27 of 64
I heart my VModa M100 :D, but they are definitely for contemporary genres only. Even I have to admit when I try to listen to classical music with them, they sound like garbage. :p Like I am sitting right next to the cello player inside the orchestra.  Maybe you can EQ them but I never tried. But when I use them for EDM, they are freakin godly. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #28 of 64

You probably should have quoted that then... Would have avoided a lot of confusion XD  But you are right in saying that if he was into HiFiMan headphones, he may not like the M-100.  I think he might enjoy them, but they aren't dark by any means. 

I disagree. They are dark sounding... not bright at all. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #29 of 64
Well I don't think I'll be losing any money reselling the used ones at the price I've found them

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 64
  I heart my VModa M100 :D, but they are definitely for contemporary genres only. Even I have to admit when I try to listen to classical music with them, they sound like garbage. :p Like I am sitting right next to the cello player inside the orchestra.  Maybe you can EQ them but I never tried. But when I use them for EDM, they are freakin godly. 

Yep. Rap, metal, rock, pop, EDM, anything like that, they trump the competition. Not even a fight. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back