HiFiMan HE-300 to V-Moda M-100. Upgrade or sidegrade? [Solved, getting Senn. Momentum]
Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

phillyd

500+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on replacing my Klipsch Image Ones with V-Moda M-100's for portable use, and then later on, my HiFiMan HE-300 with either HE-500's or LCD-2's. Still undecided on that.

I have researched the M-100 a lot and it seems to me that they would be somewhat similar in sound to my HE-300. Do you guys think that getting the M-100's will have me put my HE-300's away?

I prefer a dark, warm, bassy sound. I also really appreciate a good soundstage (difficult combination). I listen to a lot of rock and rap but almost all other genres are covered in my music.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 64
bump

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 64
He400 or the upcoming He400i maybe? I seriously doubt the M100s would be much of an upgrade (if any) from your He-300s.

Idk if you actually read the post, but I'm not getting the V-Moda's to replace the HE-300's. They're replacing my Klipsch Image Ones.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 64
To be completely honest, I kept my Image Ones for much longer than I kept my M100s. They were a good bit better, but a step below even the DT770 to me. It was mainly the treble that got to me though; it was kind of a fatiguing sound signature all around.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 64
Hmm...

Any other suggestions for a portable (but benefits from an amp) warm, bass-heavy, closed, full-sized headphone for $300? Must be good looking and durable with a short cord. Would prefer something with a mic, or like the M-100's, an attachable boom mic.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 64
I liked the COP about as much (well, maybe a little less) but they're also available for half the price of a used M100 if you look hard enough. My current portable is the ZMF V2, but they're not nearly as bassy as the M100, but they're actually warmer. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 64
I might consider the sennheiser momentum, the warmth isn't as important as non-invasive treble. They seem to be pretty good. I'd have to see about their bass though.

From what I can read, the COP's suffer from lack of mids just like DT770's

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 64
The Momentum was pleasing, but I wouldn't pay more than $150 for them. They sounded too sleepy to me. And you're right, the COP has less midrange. I actually preferred the ESW9 to the Momentum; shame you missed the sale. They're less resolving, but their vocals were sublime. They aren't as bassy as the Momentum though, so they might not be up your alley.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 64
Idk if you actually read the post, but I'm not getting the V-Moda's to replace the HE-300's. They're replacing my Klipsch Image Ones.

No need to be rude. Just trying to help out. The M100s (as well as every other V-Moda headphone I've tried) sound like absolute garbage. Just trying to save you some pennies.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 64
No need to be rude. Just trying to help out. The M100s (as well as every other V-Moda headphone I've tried) sound like absolute garbage. Just trying to save you some pennies.

Garbage? Really? The M100's are actually very good headphone in my opinion. They may not appeal to some (like you) but that doesn't mean they're bad. After all everyone has different ears.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 64

:confused_face(1):

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 64
Garbage? Really? The M100's are actually very good headphone in my opinion. They may not appeal to some (like you) but that doesn't mean they're bad. After all everyone has different ears.

Ok, maybe a little exaggeration there, they certainly aren't absolute garbage.  I just don't think they would be much of an upgrade from what he currently has.  I prefer a similar sound signature (warm, bassy) but have never really been a fan of any V-moda headphones I've tried.  The reason I recommended the He-400s is because they will get you pretty close to He-500/LCD-2 sound for a small fraction of the cost.  At their current price of $299 they are an absolute steal, and provide the exact kind of sound the OP said he's looking for.  And they are somewhat portable IMO (although that could definitely be disputed since they are pretty big) and will sound good even out of portable sources.  Just my opinion though.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 64
Ok, maybe a little exaggeration there, they certainly aren't absolute garbage.  I just don't think they would be much of an upgrade from what he currently has.  I prefer a similar sound signature (warm, bassy) but have never really been a fan of any V-moda headphones I've tried.  The reason I recommended the He-400s is because they will get you pretty close to He-500/LCD-2 sound for a small fraction of the cost.  At their current price of $299 they are an absolute steal, and provide the exact kind of sound the OP said he's looking for.  And they are somewhat portable IMO (although that could definitely be disputed since they are pretty big) and will sound good even out of portable sources.  Just my opinion though.

Absolutely looking for a real portable headphone, that means no 2m cord. I also said close-backed. Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD6/7/8, and B&O H6 are my current considerations.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 64
The H6 is definitely not bassy enough for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back