HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity Complete - Feel free to still comment
May 17, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,398 of 1,738
Got that. But how do the round Audeze pads fit on the huge oblong cups of the HE-1000? Thanks.

That is my question as well.

May 17, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,399 of 1,738
Direct comparison with modded HE-6 and HE1k:

Listening through Yggy > audio-gd Master -1 preamp > Krell FPB 300cx.

Like the new headband design compared to HE-6, plus the thing is much much lighter. I like the size (L x W, diameter) of the cups but dislike the shallowness (ear touches the driver side) and the velour material (woolly and makes my ears itchy). I don't like the sleeving on the cable either, but I think most of us will be upgrading cables and probably hardwiring later.

At first listen, I think the differences between HE-6 and HE1k are obvious. HE1k is more detailed, faster, better layering, imaging, and soundstage. A better headphone, technically. BUT (here it comes) it's not engaging; it's laid-back - a bit boring. I've had to crank up the volume on the HE1k to get that engagement/raw energy of the HE-6. I'm so used to that level of excitement and magic, my ears kept digging for it then gave out in fatigue. There's a warmth to the HE1k bass that is bloomy and does not feel solid (like bass from SR-009). HE-6 forcefully thumps you in the chest while HE1k blows air in your face. If anyone heard the HE1k at CanJam, these sound VERY different from those. I'm inclined to say the pairs at CanJam were broken.

The whole time, I was longing to reach for the HE-6 because it's got the sound I know and love. I want that attack, visceralness, engagement in the mids that grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. The HE1k is the better headphone no doubt, but it's not quite what I like. I think a lot of HE-6 owners will agree with me here. For all the other guys who didn't think the HE-6 was that special, this might be the perfect headphone.

Throughout all of yesterday, I was in a lot of disappointment and confusion. I finally got a headphone that's an upgrade after all these years of waiting, but I didn't like it; it didn't make me happy. Something ticked in my mind and decided to do something about it. What if I put my Audeze Vegan pads on these?

HOLY CRAP!  THERE IT IS!!!  The MAGIC is BACK baby!  All the excitement, engagement, attack came back from a simple pad change! I love how they sound now. There is a minor annoyance in that theres a midbass boost which I'm currently still trying to fix, but it's a huge leap forward in the right direction. It finally sounds like a headphone with focus and man do those mids pop right out. I want to say the imaging and layer is better than the R10 now. The subbass is also earthshaking which I'm sure Abyss lover would like.

I would highly suggest that Fang should keep working on the pads. They are really holding the driver back.

At this point, I can almost say this is the best headphone in the world (haven't heard an Orpheus though). Hifiman did a very good job with the driver and now with my mod, I can say these are an HE-6 replacement. Last month, I shoved my modded HE-6 in Fang's face and told him these are the real benchmark! I sort of take that back now because the HE1k is the new benchmark once they have been modded.

thanks for sharing your impressions... almost sounds exactly like how I perceived the HE1K during my listen at Axpona (perhaps they weren't kidding when they said the Axpona prototype was pretty much the final version)... especially how you describe the bass and the comparison on the SR009. I'm glad but surprised that the Audeze vegan pads would change the sonics that much more positively on a such a well-endowed open design like the HE1K. Good stuff.

May 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,400 of 1,738

At first listen, I think the differences between HE-6 and HE1k are obvious. HE1k is more detailed, faster, better layering, imaging, and soundstage. A better headphone, technically. BUT (here it comes) it's not engaging; it's laid-back - a bit boring. I've had to crank up the volume on the HE1k to get that engagement/raw energy of the HE-6. I'm so used to that level of excitement and magic, my ears kept digging for it then gave out in fatigue. There's a warmth to the HE1k bass that is bloomy and does not feel solid (like bass from SR-009). HE-6 forcefully thumps you in the chest while HE1k blows air in your face. If anyone heard the HE1k at CanJam, these sound VERY different from those. I'm inclined to say the pairs at CanJam were broken.

The whole time, I was longing to reach for the HE-6 because it's got the sound I know and love. I want that attack, visceralness, engagement in the mids that grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. The HE1k is the better headphone no doubt, but it's not quite what I like. I think a lot of HE-6 owners will agree with me here. For all the other guys who didn't think the HE-6 was that special, this might be the perfect headphone.

Throughout all of yesterday, I was in a lot of disappointment and confusion. I finally got a headphone that's an upgrade after all these years of waiting, but I didn't like it; it didn't make me happy.

WOW - These are some of the exact impressions I got from "2 other" experienced HE-6 owners.  So this must be the case.  My goodness, you are so right, talk about hitting the nail on the head.  It's that energy, that attack, the excitement and the engagement factor that keeps you going back to the HE-6.  

This should be the case with the HE1000 without the Audeze pads.  

CHANGE THOSE PADS....

May 17, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,401 of 1,738
The Audeze pads do not cover the whole enclosure. Thus the gaps at the bottom have to be closed. I used foam cut to shape and applied on top of the gaps to close them off. It stops the bass from bloating and actually this is the best I've heard the HE1000s so far.

I know it's only pads, but the difference is very substantial. Unfortunately I only have the Audeze leather pads, but I agree that the engagement and attack are significantly better than before. If I was to buy the headphones, I would like to see fattier more angled velour pads as an option from Hifiman. If not I would get these modded immediately, or look somewhere for custom pads. There is so much potential with the drivers!

(Btw if anyone is selling a pair of Audeze LCD-3 velours I am interested)

May 17, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,402 of 1,738
The Audeze pads do not cover the whole enclosure. Thus the gaps at the bottom have to be closed. I used foam cut to shape and applied on top of the gaps to close them off. It stops the bass from bloating and actually this is the best I've heard the HE1000s so far.

I know it's only pads, but the difference is very substantial. Unfortunately I only have the Audeze leather pads, but I agree that the engagement and attack are significantly better than before. If I was to buy the headphones, I would like to see fattier more angled velour pads as an option from Hifiman. If not I would get these modded immediately, or look somewhere for custom pads. There is so much potential with the drivers!

Thanks for the heads up on this mod. One question can one use MrSpeakers pads? Just curious thanks.

May 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,403 of 1,738
Those are very interesting impressions coming from a fellow he6 owner. These are the type of impressions that has the most weight to me. I'm part of the select few who prefers the he6 even over the 009 and R10. Now don't get me wrong, I'm am a realist. The 009 are better in some ways technically. But from top to bottom, they he6, especially modded(with the right equipment) is a can that has no "glaring" flaws.

Sure the 009 has a little better imaging, but the imaging of the he6 is still excellent. Some cans have a wider soundstage, but the combination of width and depth(complete soundstage) of the he6 is second to none. And boy those mids. That's the area where the he6 beats everything else. The bass is not far behind. The combination of impact, extension, and refinement makes the he6 bass overall just better than everything else save the abyss maybe. The he6 are the best blend of technicality and musicality in one can. So very interesting impressions for me. It makes me exited(based on the potential) and a bit cautious all at the same time. But I guess I'll find out soon enough. But unfortunately, I don't have a pair of vegan pads to swap out with.

May 17, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,404 of 1,738

Listening through Yggy > audio-gd Master -1 preamp > Krell FPB 300cx.

Like the new headband design compared to HE-6, plus the thing is much much lighter. I like the size (L x W, diameter) of the cups but dislike the shallowness (ear touches the driver side) and the velour material (woolly and makes my ears itchy). I don't like the sleeving on the cable either, but I think most of us will be upgrading cables and probably hardwiring later.

Throughout all of yesterday, I was in a lot of disappointment and confusion. I finally got a headphone that's an upgrade after all these years of waiting, but I didn't like it; it didn't make me happy. Something ticked in my mind and decided to do something about it. What if I put my Audeze Vegan pads on these?

HOLY CRAP!  THERE IT IS!!!  The MAGIC is BACK baby!  All the excitement, engagement, attack came back from a simple pad change! I love how they sound now. There is a minor annoyance in that theres a midbass boost which I'm currently still trying to fix, but it's a huge leap forward in the right direction. It finally sounds like a headphone with focus and man do those mids pop right out. I want to say the imaging and layer is better than the R10 now. The subbass is also earthshaking which I'm sure Abyss lover would like.

I would highly suggest that Fang should keep working on the pads. They are really holding the driver back.

At this point, I can almost say this is the best headphone in the world (haven't heard an Orpheus though). Hifiman did a very good job with the driver and now with my mod, I can say these are an HE-6 replacement. Last month, I shoved my modded HE-6 in Fang's face and told him these are the real benchmark! I sort of take that back now because the HE1k is the new benchmark once they have been modded.

Com'on spill all the beans and tell us the pad removal and install (vegan) procedure!! Pictures will be great too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,405 of 1,738

Hmm. In the JVC HA-SZ2000 thread, everyone talks about how velour pads make the bass more woolly and weak compared to pleather pads. This is in the context of a headphone that more or less has a woofer and tweeter on both sides and is most often used by bassheads who boost the bass with EQ and experiment with aftermarket pads to get the most bass slam, etc. So I wonder if leather/pleather pads would actually give the HE1000 stronger bass than velour ones. Aren't the stock HE1000 pads leather or pleather on the outside and velour (or some similar material) on the inside? I'd be pretty interested in a comparison between the stock, Audeze leather, and Audeze vegan pads!

May 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,406 of 1,738

Hmm. In the JVC HA-SZ2000 thread, everyone talks about how velour pads make the bass more woolly and weak compared to pleather pads. This is in the context of a headphone that more or less has a woofer and tweeter on both sides and is most often used by bassheads who boost the bass with EQ and experiment with aftermarket pads to get the most bass slam, etc. So I wonder if leather/pleather pads would actually give the HE1000 stronger bass than velour ones. Aren't the stock HE1000 pads leather or pleather on the outside and velour (or some similar material) on the inside? I'd be pretty interested in a comparison between the stock, Audeze leather, and Audeze vegan pads!

Yeah, the stock pads are a FocusPad design; part leather, part velour.

500x1000px-LL-bcd1ef06_DSC_9837.jpeg

Going from memory I don't think I'd want to enhance the bass on the HE1000, I felt like it had plenty when I was demoing it at AXPONA.

May 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,407 of 1,738
Pad modding for an 3500$ headphone? Sorry but when the HE1000 cannot sound amazing with the stock pads I'm definitely out! I heared from a few people which were on the HighEnd in munich. They are not amused. Material is very poor. Sound is okay but that's not enough. My feeling currently is Hifiman failed the mission to create a new Uber headphone. Hopefully I'm wrong or Hifiman will react after the beta test.

May 17, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,408 of 1,738
  Yeah, the stock pads are a FocusPad design; part leather, part velour.

Going from memory I don't think I'd want to enhance the bass on the HE1000, I felt like it had plenty when I was demoing it at AXPONA.

Thought so. I really liked the HE-400i pads, at least in terms of comfort and luxuriousness.

The question of the hour is: but have you heard the HE-6 from a TOTL speaker amp?
biggrin.gif

Pad modding for an 3500$ headphone? Sorry but when the HE1000 cannot sound amazing with the stock pads I'm definitely out! I heared from a few people which were on the HighEnd in munich. They are not amused. Material is very poor. Sound is okay but that's not enough. My feeling currently is Hifiman failed the mission to create a new Uber headphone. Hopefully I'm wrong or Hifiman will react after the beta test.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754839/stax-sr-009-and-sr-007-mk1-earpad-diy-mods

No headphone is beyond modding, my friend. The Abyss has also been modified by at least a few people.

May 17, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,409 of 1,738
Um, what about voiding the warranty if someone modifies the unit? 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back