HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/Amp
Jun 17, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #76 of 190
OK, so... taking my medicine here, I wrote out a long rant about how much this sucked and was ready to return this to HFM before I realized that I had user-errored my source volume like a nitwit. Ever get righteously indignant about something just to realize that not only were you dead wrong, but it's your own fault?

Anyways... I got the EF400 today, and after going through a really stupid moment, am listening to it now with my Susvaras. Sounds pretty decent. I don't think it's going to unseat my Conductor 3XP, but for the price, it's a solid little compact amp.

Anyways... if anyone happened to read my rant before I edited it, fire away with the finger-pointing and laughter.

Anyone else have one of these they've tried out?

Specs:
THD+N (Line out) : Between 0.002% and 0.004%
Channel Separation : 125+/-3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio : 118+/-3dB (A Weighted)
Maximum Power Output : 4.4 W per channel
Dimensions : 246.5mm(L)×228mm(W)×61mm(H)
Weight : 3.08kg

It's nice looking and very small. The R2R DAC built in is the first one I've had the luxury of hearing. It'll take me a bit of time to get a grip on the sound, but it's pretty nice. Doesn't seem to pull the detail out of the Susvaras I get from my Pro iCAN or Conductor, but for $600, I think it's worth comparing to something like a Jot 2 with a DAC module.

Hifiman, if you saw my rant, I'm sorry.
Do you think it’s close to the XP as that’s on my list. Always like the Burson house sound.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #78 of 190
EF400 owners.. I need a bit of help. Received my EF400 and noticed the left dial "clicks" when you rotate from high NOS, OS, low NOS and OS modes. What's weird is I hear and feel the "click" every time when going to high gain NOS/OS modes.. then I feel the click when going "down" to low OS mode and then no click at all when going to low NOS mode... then on the way back up to low OS mode, no click again.. but then clicks both times going to high NOS/OS modes. Is that normal or some weird QC issue? I would assume all 4 dial modes should produce a tactile "click". Can any owners please confirm? Other than this.. the amp seems to work fine but I'm annoyed if there is a mechanical defect on something I ordered new.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #79 of 190
EF400 owners.. I need a bit of help. Received my EF400 and noticed the left dial "clicks" when you rotate from high NOS, OS, low NOS and OS modes. What's weird is I hear and feel the "click" every time when going to high gain NOS/OS modes.. then I feel the click when going "down" to low OS mode and then no click at all when going to low NOS mode... then on the way back up to low OS mode, no click again.. but then clicks both times going to high NOS/OS modes. Is that normal or some weird QC issue? I would assume all 4 dial modes should produce a tactile "click". Can any owners please confirm? Other than this.. the amp seems to work fine but I'm annoyed if there is a mechanical defect on something I ordered new.
Mine behaves exactly as you described yours, so you should not be worried.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #81 of 190
OK, so... taking my medicine here, I wrote out a long rant about how much this sucked and was ready to return this to HFM before I realized that I had user-errored my source volume like a nitwit. Ever get righteously indignant about something just to realize that not only were you dead wrong, but it's your own fault?

Anyways... I got the EF400 today, and after going through a really stupid moment, am listening to it now with my Susvaras. Sounds pretty decent. I don't think it's going to unseat my Conductor 3XP, but for the price, it's a solid little compact amp.

Anyways... if anyone happened to read my rant before I edited it, fire away with the finger-pointing and laughter.

Anyone else have one of these they've tried out?

Specs:
THD+N (Line out) : Between 0.002% and 0.004%
Channel Separation : 125+/-3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio : 118+/-3dB (A Weighted)
Maximum Power Output : 4.4 W per channel
Dimensions : 246.5mm(L)×228mm(W)×61mm(H)
Weight : 3.08kg

It's nice looking and very small. The R2R DAC built in is the first one I've had the luxury of hearing. It'll take me a bit of time to get a grip on the sound, but it's pretty nice. Doesn't seem to pull the detail out of the Susvaras I get from my Pro iCAN or Conductor, but for $600, I think it's worth comparing to something like a Jot 2 with a DAC module.

Hifiman, if you saw my rant, I'm sorry.
Hi. I am new to the forums and I'm over 70, so please be kind!! I've a double whammy. New Windows 11 PC and just bought the EF400. Thought it would be easy to just plug, go to settings and point to the 400. Nope. I feel kinda dumb, but could you walk an old stupid man though how to install in Windows 11? Thanks

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #82 of 190
Hi. I am new to the forums and I'm over 70, so please be kind!! I've a double whammy. New Windows 11 PC and just bought the EF400. Thought it would be easy to just plug, go to settings and point to the 400. Nope. I feel kinda dumb, but could you walk an old stupid man though how to install in Windows 11? Thanks
Hi again. Of course as soon as I bared my soul, I got it to work.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #83 of 190
I know it’s from the OG post on this thread, but I’ve been meaning to reply with this old SNL clip…

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #84 of 190
I'm thinking about getting one of these to replace my 1st-generation Jotunheim. The USB-out on the back is going out and my 5-year warranty is up, it's had a good run tbh.

My living space demand an all in one and his seems like it'd be a nice jump in sound quality. I have an Arya and Sundara so can get it at $499, seems like a deal given the impressions.

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #85 of 190
Hello, I just bought a Hifiman EF 400 (because I was a little disappointed by my new iFi Audio Zen DAC V2) at 400€ on Amazon Warehouse and I was quite anxious because it seemed to good to be real. I finally found the reason why the previous owner sent it back : at low volume, on a certain setting, in 4.4mm balanced output, there is a balance problem that disappears when playing with volume button.
I don’t know  what to do because:
1. I will use it mainly as DAC (and the sound is so great with my old Marantz Amp)
2. I don’t know if the problem may become worst in the future. For the moment, it just a little boring but without dramatic effect
3. I would never have bought it so soon as it’s quite expensive for me at full price

So I will be glad to read your advices. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #86 of 190
Interestingly, I think this puts out higher voltage as a DAC than the Bifrost 2. Just swapped them around in my main setup and had to turn down the volume on the amp it's feeding (Mogwai SE). Hoping this shows me the value of a R2R DAC. I'll also be able to compare it vs. the iCAN Pro since they're now sharing a source, and the EF400 is acting as the iCAN's DAC.

EDIT: Specifically talking about RCA rather than XLR output.
Hi!
How does the EF400 fare against the Bifrost 2?

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #87 of 190
Hello, I just bought a Hifiman EF 400 (because I was a little disappointed by my new iFi Audio Zen DAC V2) at 400€ on Amazon Warehouse and I was quite anxious because it seemed to good to be real. I finally found the reason why the previous owner sent it back : at low volume, on a certain setting, in 4.4mm balanced output, there is a balance problem that disappears when playing with volume button.
I don’t know  what to do because:
1. I will use it mainly as DAC (and the sound is so great with my old Marantz Amp)
2. I don’t know if the problem may become worst in the future. For the moment, it just a little boring but without dramatic effect
3. I would never have bought it so soon as it’s quite expensive for me at full price

So I will be glad to read your advices. Thanks.
No problem with the XLR output so I keep the EF400. Such a great DAC.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #88 of 190
I have to say, I am amazed by the EF400. It has some flaws. Volume knob feels cheap. I am missing optical input, remote control and preamp function. It sounds nice with HE6se V2. But, I am blown away how this little beast sounds with Empy. Amazing! If you don't like it, let it burn-in for a few weeks.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #89 of 190
Hi!
How does the EF400 fare against the Bifrost 2?
I've moved on from both (settled on a Burson Timekeeper 3ir), but it was comparable in overall sound. Unfortunately it's been a few months since I had either one, so I can't really reliably describe any specific differences in sound, but at a very general level, they were about on par with each other.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #90 of 190
Anyone using Arya Stealth or Sundara with EF400 ? How do they sound ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back