HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/Amp
Jun 9, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #62 of 190
Any news about the crackling and popping sounds? I'm kinda interested in this unit since I'm looking for a DAC/amp Combo that is not made by topping.
Hi there, well you could always give the EF400 a try and see what you make of it. If it turns out you don't like it or it's just not for you, you have 30 days to return it for a full refund, that way you haven't really anything to lose. Plus if you should ever have a problem with it you know you'll be backed up by the best customer service team in the industry, even if I do say so myself :wink:

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #65 of 190
Hi there, well you could always give the EF400 a try and see what you make of it. If it turns out you don't like it or it's just not for you, you have 30 days to return it for a full refund, that way you haven't really anything to lose. Plus if you should ever have a problem with it you know you'll be backed up by the best customer service team in the industry, even if I do say so myself :wink:

I'm going to wait till a couple more reviews pop-up on the www that don't look like a advertising 😉.

If I need a Powerfilter and a usb islator I will probably look for something else but I'm definitely interested and like the design of the ef400.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #66 of 190
Looking for another desktop. Wondering how this would sound in balanced with an lcd-x...

Jun 14, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #67 of 190
I have been using the ef400 with Arya v2 headphones and I am mighty impressed. I thought the Arya was too detailed using it with the honey h1 portable amp, but this ef400 makes the Arya sound warm ,smooth , detailed without harsh treble, good quality bass too. It has way more power to drive the Arya. volume level is around 9 o’clock for normal listening

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #68 of 190
mine arrived yesterday and finally something that drives my HE6se-V2 well. :L3000:
I'm curious about the EF400 for this very same reason - something to do a good job/sound good with my HE6-SE V2s. I have several powerful headphone amps, but the HE-6SE V2s sound flat and thin with all of them. I've been heading to the direction of using a speaker amp, but maybe the EF400 is the ticket.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #69 of 190
I'm curious about the EF400 for this very same reason - something to do a good job/sound good with my HE6-SE V2s. I have several powerful headphone amps, but the HE-6SE V2s sound flat and thin with all of them. I've been heading to the direction of using a speaker amp, but maybe the EF400 is the ticket.

I returned my EF400 because of the static noise that got already mentioned by plenty people.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #70 of 190
Gotta say, the synergy / combo of the EF400 with the HE6se v.1 is fantastic. The slight warm tilt with plenty of juice (not easy to have a ton of head room left with these cans) is just right for me. I find no need to EQ a bit for my taste. I've had no static or popping issues yet.

For those interest, I will add that for portable use, the Questyle m15 on high gain actually gets the job done extremely well at about 70%. The M15 has a slight warmth to it, as well, which works really well with the HE6se and other similarly tuned headphones.

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #71 of 190
I'm torn between this or getting the Ares 2 jot2 that I had before but had to sell. Any lcd-X owners here that have the EF400?

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #72 of 190
I'm torn between this or getting the Ares 2 jot2 that I had before but had to sell. Any lcd-X owners here that have the EF400?
I let my LCD-X (2021) go just before the EF400 arrived. I personally didn't think they'd pair all that great because of the warm tilt of the EF400 and the warmer sound and wider soundstage of the LCD-X (losing some detail). I think the Jot2 would probably be a better combo. I was really happy with the LCD-X and the Topping A90 as well as the Thx-887 with Modius stack. Both of those were more linear neutral. Anyway, FWIW, that's my take.

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #73 of 190
I let my LCD-X (2021) go just before the EF400 arrived. I personally didn't think they'd pair all that great because of the warm tilt of the EF400 and the warmer sound and wider soundstage of the LCD-X (losing some detail). I think the Jot2 would probably be a better combo. I was really happy with the LCD-X and the Topping A90 as well as the Thx-887 with Modius stack. Both of those were more linear neutral. Anyway, FWIW, that's my take.
Yeah, I'm tending to agree with you...granted the ares/jot is 2X's the price, but Amazon has next day delivery and 30 day return on the ef400...so tempted to just try it....Why did you sell the X?

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #74 of 190
Yeah, I'm tending to agree with you...granted the ares/jot is 2X's the price, but Amazon has next day delivery and 30 day return on the ef400...so tempted to just try it....Why did you sell the X?
The X is probably my favorite Audeze under $2k+. I loved the new tuning. So dang smooth. However, I still felt like it was just a tad too warm with the soundstage. Not muted, but just enough distance some dynamics were missing for me. Once I tried the HE6se, with the right amp, I was sold (at least for now). It wasn't overly analytical and really good punch still in the bass, but it does require a bunch of power and a warmer leaning source. Basically, I'm not an engineer, I do value detail, but not at the expense of musicality and emotion. Tough sweet spot to find. Probably had it with the Stellia, but my brand cannot turn off hearing even the slightest metallic tone in the Focal lineup.

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #75 of 190
The X is probably my favorite Audeze under $2k+. I loved the new tuning. So dang smooth. However, I still felt like it was just a tad too warm with the soundstage. Not muted, but just enough distance some dynamics were missing for me. Once I tried the HE6se, with the right amp, I was sold (at least for now). It wasn't overly analytical and really good punch still in the bass, but it does require a bunch of power and a warmer leaning source. Basically, I'm not an engineer, I do value detail, but not at the expense of musicality and emotion. Tough sweet spot to find. Probably had it with the Stellia, but my brand cannot turn off hearing even the slightest metallic tone in the Focal lineup.
I think Focal is so over rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back