Hifiman EF2A questions
May 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #31 of 35
Some questions have been posted relative to the use of the Hifiman EF-2A and what headphones to pair it with within "mid budget" category. It is worth repeating the opinion of a few who agree that the AKG-K612 Pro is an excellent match. I have also compared the the EF2A with other headphone choices e.g. Sennheisers and went back to the AKG.
The questions have centered on some disappointment about either component or both. I would suggest that you give both units a very generous break in period before deciding on whether you like the match. And bear in mind also that the Hifiman EF2A stock tubes are, perhaps, not to your preference. I would recommend rolling the tubes to find a set that suits you. May I recommend either the Tung Sol 5654 / 6AK5 (Matched set 1950s production on eBay),  or the Radiotechniques RTC EF95 / 6AK5 / 5654. (Matched set from ALO Audio)
Thanks for listening
Eddie 

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #33 of 35
Bumping up a bit with the following question :
How does this ef2a hifiman amp compare versus the Little Dot 1+ , II ,III , Bravo Ocean , Fiio E12 Matrix MStage  ?   These are all in my price bracket .Not decided yet tube/SS or portable/deck A bit leaning towards deck amp. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #34 of 35
  Bumping up a bit with the following question :
How does this ef2a hifiman amp compare versus the Little Dot 1+ , II ,III , Bravo Ocean , Fiio E12 Matrix MStage  ?   These are all in my price bracket .Not decided yet tube/SS or portable/deck A bit leaning towards deck amp. 

I am assuming you are referring to the amp section only as the Little Dot is just an amp whereas the EF2a is a dac and amp combo. I think the Little Dot's are a better amp by quite a fair margin, especially the LD3. Quieter , better bass, and much better defined soundstage. As always these are just my observations.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #35 of 35
I found my EF2A to have major line imbalance issues when at lower volume. If you have less efficient headphones it's not as much of an issue as when about at 1/4 power the line imbalance issue goes away.. But I didn't like it with any of the headphones I own (or the HD650 I had when I tried it). I love HiFiMan, but this was a pass for me. One of the least favorite DAC/Amps I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back