HiFiMan EF2A or Essence ST
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MSnyder85

New Head-Fier
As the title says, I am running the Asus Xonar Essence ST via RCA jacks to the HiFiMan EF2A to my HD 650's. I do not use the DAC on the EF2A. Question is was that a wise upgrade or should I just stick with the amp from the Essence ST and upgrade to a better amp later on? Also I noticed there is an unbalance in volume on the right side of my headphone. Does this go away with burning in the amp? Should I upgrade the tubes?

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 8
When you use the RCA jacks on the Essence ST, you can no longer use any of the headphone surround sound setting on the Essence ST.
So your only going to be able to get stereo 2.0 channel audio from the headphones plugged into the HiFiman EF2A.
I would say use the HiFiman EF2A only or the Essence ST only, but not both at the same time.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 8
I understand that. I'm using the DAC from the Essence ST and the amp function from the EF2A. Could I be doing better? I heard that the amp from the EF2A is nice. Come to find out it games rather nicely too!

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I understand that. I'm using the DAC from the Essence ST and the amp function from the EF2A. Could I be doing better? I heard that the amp from the EF2A is nice. Come to find out it games rather nicely too!

Tubes add a second harmonic to the sound, can be described as adding "warmth" and "soul" to the sound.

Electronic noise inside the computer case can affect the analog audio signal.
When you plug the HiFiman's USB to the computer, digital audio sound is carried outside of the computer.
where the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the HiFiman changes the signal to analog outside of the computer case.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 8
From my understanding the Essence has a far better DAC correct? Using the EF2A's DAC would defeat the purpose of the Essence entirely! On the other hand I can use it for my laptop :)

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
From my understanding the Essence has a far better DAC correct? Using the EF2A's DAC would defeat the purpose of the Essence entirely! On the other hand I can use it for my laptop :)

Personally, I do prefer internal sound cards (like my Essence STX), it's nice to be able to watch movies in Dolby Virtual Headphone (surround sound) on the headphones.
and it's nice to have more desk space.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 8
Well yeah I have the Turtle Beach DSS to decode DD Live for movies and the tube amp for music and gaming. Found out that actually using stereo for gaming works pretty damn well.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Well the HiFiMan EF2A's audio balance is horrendous! The left channel is louder then the right channel! I'm returning it and will just save up for a proper amp down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back