Hifiman Edition XS Launched
May 10, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,521 of 2,791
XS is one of the best value in it's price range I agree !
But strangely I hated the sound of the EF400 with the XS headphone, I don't know why maybe my unit was defective.
I found out that my qudelix 5K cheap bluetooth dac sounded better in every way compared to the expensive EF400 amp.
I have not listened to the Qudelix so can't comment on that but to me, the EF400 sounds better than some of the other Desktop & Portable DACs of similar price category I've owned and/or heard.

The simplest reason could be that it's sound signature wasn't to your tastes, it's not a transparent and un-colored DAC and it does add unique sound charecteristics of an R2R DAC.

The other possible reasons I can think off is
1. Lack of Burn-In. In my experience with RU6, RS2 & EF400, R2R DACs need a bit more time to burn-in compared to DS DACs.

2. The Output Impedance is different on each output and higher on the Un-Balanced ones, this does seem to effect the sound signature a bit on some IEMs.

3. Not using the Balanced Outputs.

May 11, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #2,523 of 2,791
Hello.Here, I made a cable. First was bought Chinese cable is cheap Three meters 4 core.I didn’t like its resistance (the device doesn’t show exactly and the wires of the device give 1 Ohm, but it showed 1.5 Ohm). In general, the hearing is not very better than the stock cable I decided to first shorten it by half in order to reduce the resistance, but I decided to completely redo it - to make the resistance four times less due to half the length plus fold it in half.))Spent almost a day. Unsoldered the plugs. Dismantled the clutch Y. He untwisted the whole, cut each vein in half. Soldered XLR. I wove for a long time (for the first time, for 8 wires and 4 for each earpiece).Soldered minijack (barely placed 4 wires and somehow to insulate + and -). But the work was worth it! The sound not only became louder and more powerful (than it was 3 meters), but the stage became wider and even more detailed and the sound even clearer...! )) The ohmmeter shows 1 ohm, because can't do less.
20230511_171109.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,526 of 2,791
comparing the xs with the sundara, the xs seems to me a little behind with the mids and the soundstage doesn't seem superior, perhaps because it needs to run in a bit, I'm about 20 hours of listening.

What are you driving them with? I’m on a Schiit stack (Modi/Magni 2U.) I’ve been thinking about adding a tube amp to warm them up a bit more.

May 14, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #2,528 of 2,791
What are you driving them with? I’m on a Schiit stack (Modi/Magni 2U.) I’ve been thinking about adding a tube amp to warm them up a bit more.
Don't use an OTL, won't get any kind of decent sound out of an 18 ohm can. Hybrids with a SS drive stage could be good.

May 14, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,529 of 2,791
connect the xs to my ibasso dx 220 player i didn't like them so much, then connect to the asgard 3 with multibit dac quite another thing, do the xs really need the amplifier more than the sundara?
All planars I've used like power, HFM's are among those. The more in general the better.

May 14, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,530 of 2,791
All planars I've used like power, HFM's are among those. The more in general the better.
I went from maxxing out a Magni+ to a comfortable 12oclock @ Medium gain on the Topping A30Pro using a D50s Dac and love this combo with the XS.

May 15, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #2,531 of 2,791
the xs and the sundara in my opinion are very different in sonic signature, the sundara seems more focused on the fresher mids while the xs seems further back on this but is more decisive more separation and body, in my opinion if the xs would have a mid little ahead how the sundara would be perfect.

May 15, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #2,532 of 2,791
the xs and the sundara in my opinion are very different in sonic signature, the sundara seems more focused on the fresher mids while the xs seems further back on this but is more decisive more separation and body, in my opinion if the xs would have a mid little ahead how the sundara would be perfect.
My take is the Sundara has a bass light profile. It's very much missing not only impact but db under 50 Hz, and its not really convincing under 100 Hz. It's also got a peaky treble in the 6-9k range.

The XS also lacks impact under 50 Hz, but it holds on better, and takes EQ well to fix the db if not the impact. Trying to lift the Sundara to flat or a slight bass plus sound from 20-30 Hz results in just limpness. The XS has a peak at 8k and 12k. The 12k one doesn't bother these old ears. The 8k peak is a problem, but like most HFM cans including the Sundara control that 6-10k area you still have that sense of life and transparency that is a hallmark of HFM planars.

Also the soundstage is much larger on the XS. Not specific like the 800S, but similar to the HEX v2, Arya, and Ananda. I have not heard the Drop XX in almost 4 years but the tuning on the XS is better than that, XS also less peaky than the Ananda (pre stealth), and well less edgy than the Arya (pre stealth). It's finely tuned for everday use, and its fine on equipment you would tend to pair with it, like various low->mid Schiit gear. Streaming TIDAL (1st unfold), UAPP parametric, thru a Gumby A1 and a Rag 1 is the best I've heard the Sundara, but, the lower bass could not be massaged, and that's likely to be a better set up than most would use with it.

The XS is good enough that if you just listened to it on good or better gear, you'd habituate to it, and consider it quite accurate and pleasing - even with no EQ. The Sundara just can't handle massed strings and female vocals in a way that I can relax with in the now or over time, for compressed rock/pop - its not as evident.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2,535 of 2,791
The XS is tuned better than almost all cans in the bass. So unless it bothers you, you could just get used to it. It's not a closed back bass cannon, nor does it have the impact of the HE-6 SE, nor for sure not the OG 6 screw.

There is a bit too much in the 50-90 Hz area, but like 1.5 db, which isn't really bad per se, except that the lower bass having that long cup HFM lack of bass impact sort of asks for a +3 db shelf starting at 40 Hz, and hitting +3 at 20 Hz. But once you do that, the slight overdone 50-90 Hz starts being heard. But this tends to be more of an issue for me than most. If you have a parametric EQ, play around if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back