Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Oct 23, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #2,042 of 2,791
I dont get it... running them balanced shouldnt provide more power using the balanced output than using SE cable ? In terms of raw power zen can specs seems enough.
Generally balanced is twice the gain but not usually twice the current. The xCan is 1000mw out at a 32 ohm load. that would translate to much less at 18 ohms which is the XS. So they actually are not claiming that the amp is good for such low impedance. The XS needs current a lot of it. I would look for an amp that has specs for low impedance headpones. I actually have some decent desktop amps that don't put out the current to drive the XS properly. They can get it loud but sound is bad. Amps that deliver lots of current sound wonderful on these headphones.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #2,043 of 2,791
Generally balanced is twice the gain but not usually twice the current. The xCan is 1000mw out at a 32 ohm load. that would translate to much less at 18 ohms which is the XS. So they actually are not claiming that the amp is good for such low impedance. The XS needs current a lot of it. I would look for an amp that has specs for low impedance headpones. I actually have some decent desktop amps that don't put out the current to drive the XS properly. They can get it loud but sound is bad. Amps that deliver lots of current sound wonderful on these headphones.
Thx for the reply. Is it the same with ifi Gryphon ? The specs for the Gryphon are:

Balanced - >1000mW @ 32Ohm; >74mW @ 600Ohm; >6.7V max @ 600 Ohm

It seems the same being 1000mW @32Ohm

Then I dont get people that seems to have lots of credibility and experience in audio on yotube like Zeos who claims ifi Zen Can are more than enough to drive the Edition XS...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #2,044 of 2,791
Thx for the reply. Is it the same with ifi Gryphon ? The specs for the Gryphon are:

Balanced - >1000mW @ 32Ohm; >74mW @ 600Ohm; >6.7V max @ 600 Ohm

It seems the same being 1000mW @32Ohm

Then I dont get people that seems to have lots of credibility and experience in audio on yotube like Zeos who claims ifi Zen Can are more than enough to drive the Edition XS...
No it does not look like the Gryphon is any different. Of course you could send an email to their customer service department and see what they say. I would point out that both of those amps would probably have enough gain to play loud enough. They just won't do justice to the headphone or sound very good if they cannot deliver enough current into the 18 ohms.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #2,049 of 2,791
Oct 23, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #2,051 of 2,791
After being on the fence about purchasing these for months, I finally made the decision to order and they arrived today. I have small head so these have practically no clamp and all of the weight is focused right on the top of my head. Caused me enough discomfort after an hour that I needed a break.

Is there a generally recommended hotspot solution? Geekria pad?
Dekoni Nuggets stuck to the headband just above the earcup may snug the side fit for you and alleviate some of that pressure.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #2,054 of 2,791
I'm guessing about 3 watts into the XS off Sophia Electric Baby Stereo with Zynsonix headphone box. They sound big and atmospheric with their stage and bass really comes out. The sensitivity is low and would not recommend baby power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back