Hifiman Edition XS Launched
May 12, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,681 of 2,791
So yesterday I got the Edition XS. I was thrilled to try them out. It was my first planar headphone and my second HiFi headphone (after HD599) and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was phenomenal. The soundstage, the details, the bass, oh my ..., the bass was amazing. I loved the headphones, however I returned them because of the headband. It was so big for my head, that it was literally felling off when I was for example leaning, lol. And somehow I had the feeling that something is hanging from my head. This was bearable for 30 minutes, but more than that, it was really uncomfortable. Maybe someone with a bigger head (head that is more egg shaped) could have more luck with them.
I think my head is too small (I'm a small person). So, even though that the headphones were perfect for my taste, I returned them. Now, I'm thinking of going down the Ananda Stealth version road or even the Aryas, not sure!

May 12, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,682 of 2,791
Anyone have any advice on improving comfort? I've tried different headband pads but the real issue is that the lack of clamping force causes the entire headphones weight to rest on the headband and as a result it causes quite a bit of pain after 20-30 minutes. The Arya in comparison has the perfect balance of clamp and weight distribution between the pads and headband strap.
I had the same experience with my Edition XS when I first bought them -- and I have a big head! I found relief by gently kneading the cushioning in the headband with my thumbs to soften the density. It worked!

Give it a try. Hope it works for you.

May 12, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #1,683 of 2,791
So yesterday I got the Edition XS. I was thrilled to try them out. It was my first planar headphone and my second HiFi headphone (after HD599) and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was phenomenal. The soundstage, the details, the bass, oh my ..., the bass was amazing. I loved the headphones, however I returned them because of the headband. It was so big for my head, that it was literally felling off when I was for example leaning, lol. And somehow I had the feeling that something is hanging from my head. This was bearable for 30 minutes, but more than that, it was really uncomfortable. Maybe someone with a bigger head (head that is more egg shaped) could have more luck with them.
I think my head is too small (I'm a small person). So, even though that the headphones were perfect for my taste, I returned them. Now, I'm thinking of going down the Ananda Stealth version road or even the Aryas, not sure!
You have the same problem that me. My head is small and the headphones move and sometimes felling off and I am thinking to give them to my big headed friend and upgrade to Arya now I know the sound is great. But I am waiting first for ZMF Atriums to come to see if it is worth to have Aryas and Atriums them both.

May 12, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,684 of 2,791
There's already been a headband revision apparently, so you might want to see if you can acquire that update.

May 13, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #1,687 of 2,791
I'm hearing you with the discomfort of this headband. It sux. I get the same painful experience with the 400SE and 560v4 as well but also having the HE35x with the suspension style headband which feels like there is nothing on your head, I knew I was going to have to try something with the XS.

So I did a variation of the mod by @Kentajalli

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-edition-xs-mods.961413/post-16749279

Instead of using double-sided tape and tucking the leather into the band, I used elastic hairbands on the ends of the leather strap and affixed with strips of hook/loop tape. This gives me a bit of elasticity and I can adjust the tension by moving the hook/loop tape up or down the hairbands :).
Looks good! well done.
In my defence, the leather I used (from an old lambs leather jacket) was so thin, it was Stretchy! so I didn't need any elastic bands.
It sticks to my bald head (suede side down), no sweating (breathable leather) and makes the EDXS more comfortable to wear, as there are no pressure points, does not slide and also adds pulling force to the yokes, increasing pressure on the cups in a natural way!
In fairness, I got the idea , not from Hifiman other models) but from Dan Clark stealth headphones!
Works great on theirs.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,688 of 2,791
If anyone is interested, I am letting mine go. Love them, no problems at all. Mint condition with extra 4.4 cable included, but with 5 kids and a home office, I just can't ever use open backs. $425 shipped in US.

May 14, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,689 of 2,791
Where did you see this?

Need more details.
Just been told by someone who picked one up from AliExpress recently at the start of the month that the clamp is tighter and the headband is firmer compared to the first pair they tried.

Sample of 1, but the designs and comments I've seen to this point were very different to this, including this individual. So likely a revision based on commentary that it felt a little loose.

May 14, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,690 of 2,791
I'm hearing you with the discomfort of this headband. It sux. I get the same painful experience with the 400SE and 560v4 as well but also having the HE35x with the suspension style headband which feels like there is nothing on your head, I knew I was going to have to try something with the XS.

So I did a variation of the mod by @Kentajalli

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-edition-xs-mods.961413/post-16749279

Instead of using double-sided tape and tucking the leather into the band, I used elastic hairbands on the ends of the leather strap and affixed with strips of hook/loop tape. This gives me a bit of elasticity and I can adjust the tension by moving the hook/loop tape up or down the hairbands :).

Man, that's a brilliant implementation! Looks like something you could sell on ebay.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,692 of 2,791
Nuggets?

May 14, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #1,694 of 2,791
oh man, i’m so dumb. I was searching what exactly you meant by nuggets, lol.

Before I returned them, I didn’t know that there are these mods, besides I’m honestly not sure if I’m comfortable using adhesive on the headband.

But thanks, will keep that in mind.
I've got them on my HEX v2 - list $1800. Paid $712. The headband is excellent. One peeled off after 2 years and there was 0 damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back