Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,516 of 2,791
Some of the earliest subjective comments were from a HE-500, who preferred the XS. Their HE-500 was unmodified.

I wish comparisons between the two were more common. I know the HE500 has been discontinued for a while now, but it's hard for me to know which planars are an upgrade or downgrade.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,517 of 2,791
After spending my last weeks with flagships only I revisited the Edition XS today...wow, this thing is such a beast for 500 bucks.

DSCF4282.jpg

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,518 of 2,791
I wish comparisons between the two were more common. I know the HE500 has been discontinued for a while now, but it's hard for me to know which planars are an upgrade or downgrade.
In my subjective take the XS and HE-500 are very different. HE-500 has always been that smooth, easy-going listen for me in the past. The XS is more technical, faster.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #1,519 of 2,791
In my subjective take the XS and HE-500 are very different. HE-500 has always been that smooth, easy-going listen for me in the past. The XS is more technical, faster.

Good to know. How about things like soundstage and detail?

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #1,520 of 2,791
After spending my last weeks with flagships only I revisited the Edition XS today...wow, this thing is such a beast for 500 bucks.

DSCF4282.jpg
What are your findings in terms of soundstage and did you see a pattern with the stealth magnets (if you heard the v2 and stealth Arya) ? How is XS in terms of dynamics/contrast compared to these ? I find Ananda lacking in dynamics i wonder if XS closer to Ananda or Arya in this metric. Although Ananda had very addictive sub bass detail, maybe it's a trade off. Benefits for different genres.

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #1,521 of 2,791
Do any of you that bought the Edition XS also own the HE500 (or at least heard them)? I own the HE500 and love them, but have been thinking about a planar upgrade at some point. Not sure the direction to go. Wondering if given the price if these are more of a sidegrade or an actual upgrade.
Do any of you that bought the Edition XS also own the HE500 (or at least heard them)? I own the HE500 and love them, but have been thinking about a planar upgrade at some point. Not sure the direction to go. Wondering if given the price if these are more of a sidegrade or an actual upgrade.
Hi,
I can't comment on the 500 but I do have the 560v4 which even though I love, have been relegated to their stand since getting the XS.
IMO the XS are definitely an upgrade from the 560 and for me the most noticeable differences between the two are the soundstage which I find to be quite special on the XS. It's wider, more open and spacious and gives me some absolute 'wow' moments in my listening sessions. The bass, which I find to be comparatively as punchy as the 560 but with extra depth and definitely more bassy. The mids/upper mids seem more detailed with vocals and some instruments sounding more pronounced which I felt were slighlty lacking sometimes on the 560.

All subjective of course :wink:.

I listen to most genres of music but primarily EDM (Rufus du Sol, Ben Bohmer, Yotto etc..) which I find the 'Hifiman sound' is perfect for this genre and with the XS on my head I'm pretty much in my audio happy place.

My Hifiman journey so far has been HE35x -> 400SE -> 560v4 -> EdXS, with my next stop being the Arya (maybe) but for now I'm more than happy where I'm at with the XS and not in any hurry to get there.

Cheers✌️

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #1,524 of 2,791
Hi,
I can't comment on the 500 but I do have the 560v4 which even though I love, have been relegated to their stand since getting the XS.
IMO the XS are definitely an upgrade from the 560 and for me the most noticeable differences between the two are the soundstage which I find to be quite special on the XS. It's wider, more open and spacious and gives me some absolute 'wow' moments in my listening sessions. The bass, which I find to be comparatively as punchy as the 560 but with extra depth and definitely more bassy. The mids/upper mids seem more detailed with vocals and some instruments sounding more pronounced which I felt were slighlty lacking sometimes on the 560.

All subjective of course :wink:.

I listen to most genres of music but primarily EDM (Rufus du Sol, Ben Bohmer, Yotto etc..) which I find the 'Hifiman sound' is perfect for this genre and with the XS on my head I'm pretty much in my audio happy place.

My Hifiman journey so far has been HE35x -> 400SE -> 560v4 -> EdXS, with my next stop being the Arya (maybe) but for now I'm more than happy where I'm at with the XS and not in any hurry to get there.

Cheers✌️

Thanks. This is a big help.

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #1,525 of 2,791
my next stop being the Arya (maybe) but for now I'm more than happy where I'm at with the XS and not in any hurry to get there.
I always use this lie to myself before being in a hurry an buying something else :p

I'm selling my Sundara with Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads, I loved this headphone but there's no reason to keep the Sundara and Edition XS at the same time.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #1,527 of 2,791
I always use this lie to myself before being in a hurry an buying something else :p

I'm selling my Sundara with Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads, I loved this headphone but there's no reason to keep the Sundara and Edition XS at the same time.
I'm hearing you... Its been a slow journey but I've learnt when to slow down and appreciate and enjoy what you have 😎✌️.

My problem with headphones is that I like to keep them 🤯

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,528 of 2,791
Anybody know how these compare to the HEX v2?

I found the HEX v2 for about $450, but the headband is slightly damaged. Can it be replaced with the Comfort Headband on the Hifiman site?

If the v2 is significantly better than the XS, I'd probably go for that and see if I can replace or repair the headband.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,530 of 2,791
Anybody know how these compare to the HEX v2?

I found the HEX v2 for about $450, but the headband is slightly damaged. Can it be replaced with the Comfort Headband on the Hifiman site?

If the v2 is significantly better than the XS, I'd probably go for that and see if I can replace or repair the headband.
I saw some comparisons. People generally say the XS is better and more capable (thinner diaphragm, stealth magnet) and have the same design philosophy tuning wise.
So, you'd both agree that XS is worth $200 over the Sundara? I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher-end Hifiman from my 4xx.
Having heard the Sundara and Ananda i'd say yes. More than $200 imo but that's me. Sundara have avid fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back