Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Mar 11, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,429 of 2,791
Anybody else have loose ports on the cups? Meaning that you can press on the wires going into the cups and the whole port connection moves.
My right one seems to be slightly loose but it doesn't seem to affect the connection

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,433 of 2,791
I've heard that these headphones need a very powerful amp to drive them well. Seems that even the Asgard 3 or Ifi Zen is not enough.
Any recommendations?
Meh, my Vali2 seems to do them justice. My Hipdac is sitting round 12 o clock on the volume knob - balanced output, low gain and I'd say the sq is comparable. Personally, I don't think there's a need to go overboard (one of these days I'll make myself a speaker tap for them and probably prove myself wrong)

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #1,434 of 2,791
I keep hearing online that these headphones need a very powerful amp to drive them well. Seems that even the Asgard 3 or Ifi Zen is not enough.
Any recommendations?
Probably bs. I'll check it out when i receive mine. There are a lot psychoacoustic factors leads to that placebo effect of ''moar power better''. 1w would be very safe even if you listen loud i think. 120db peaks are 630mw. If you listen around 80db (which is pretty loud) and have 15db peaks, let's use +10db headroom too which makes it 105db=20mw. If you wanna use +10db bass shelf, 115db=200mw
index.php

Here you can see Asgard 3 can do 3.4 watts at 33 ohm but it's 15.6db gain which means practically useless for most headphones. You will not have good volume adjustment headroom. It will be too loud. How much it can do at 0db low unity gain ? Only 115mw.

If we have to look for some explanation, it would be something like slew rate or filter capacitance instead of power i think. I honestly have no clue about these but i think most amps more than capable when it comes to slew rate and filter capacitance just like power.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,435 of 2,791
I keep hearing online that these headphones need a very powerful amp to drive them well. Seems that even the Asgard 3 or Ifi Zen is not enough.
Any recommendations?
I'm driving them fine, volume-wise, with a JDS Labs Atom+ stack. That has just 1 watt of power at 32 ohms.

Would they sound better with more power? Probably, but maybe not within the limits of my hearing. And they sound pretty damn great even with my Atom+ stack.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,436 of 2,791
It could be the reputaton of the HE-6*, HE-500 round cups and the Susvara. Assuming that isn't the case here:

GIven what the stats are 2 wpc should do it. I find with HFM its not the min power "required" on paper to play most music, but when the low end is kicking hard HFMs seem to want a reserve to give the fullness to the kick, with too little or just enough the bass can get 2 dimensional and lack impact.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,437 of 2,791
I'm driving them fine, volume-wise, with a JDS Labs Atom+ stack. That has just 1 watt of power at 32 ohms.

Would they sound better with more power? Probably, but maybe not within the limits of my hearing. And they sound pretty damn great even with my Atom+ stack.
My Chord Mojo classic drives them just fine to painful levels.
Mojo clips at 0.7W to my knowledge .
For as long as your amp has a low output impedance and reasonable medium power, it will be fine.
With a crappy amp with several watts of full output that can only do a clean half a watt, you might get a false impression that " it needed more power!".

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #1,439 of 2,791
I installed the Geekriand headband and it fits well and reduces the slipping effect.

I received one extra (completely new) if anyone is interested. I'm in France.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back