Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Mar 4, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,396 of 2,791
Just started hearing some strange noises on the left driver and I think that the driver cover on my pair is busted. Any tips on how to fix it?

Attachments

• 20220304_183638.jpg
    20220304_183638.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220304_183623.jpg
    20220304_183623.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,405 of 2,791
The dust cover from the driver appears to have left some dust enter the driver and make the scratch noise20220304_183638.jpg
It looks like the dust cover is squished under there which is normal. My Ananda looked like that too. I don't think it's the reason why your pair sound bad. Hifiman builds aren't super precise. That screwed in ring can also bulge here and there. I hope my pair will be good when i hopefully get replacement.

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,406 of 2,791
Mini Impressions

Chain — Spotify Premium on Mac > iFi ZEN DAC Signature > Gustard H10 (1W @ 16 ohms).

I recently sold my Sundara 2020, so take these impressions with a grain of salt as they’re completely from memory.

I thought the Sundara was generally well-tuned and technically competent for its price. However, I did have a misgivings which were ultimately dealbreakers for me. The main complaint being its lack of macrodynamics or slam. Bass had good presence, but as a recovering basshead, they lacked some impact and authority. I also noticed some oddness in its lower treble — it sounded a little uneven/jagged and ‘hard’ to my ears. Finally, as has been told, they were some what lean in terms of body.

The Edition XS to my ears are what the Sundara should have been. They’re also tuned rather differently to the typical Hifiman house sound to my ears. What I’m hearing is smooth, coherent, and cohesive, but more surprisingly, full-bodied, meaty, with a great deal of low-end heft, weight, extension and impact. I mean, these things rumble, and rumble more than my DT 1990 Pro, which is… saying something, to say the least. As a corollary, they have a great deal of macrodynamic slam, which I’d hitherto expected only from dynamics. Technically, and purely from memory, they’re a decisive step up from the Sundara 2020 in terms of clarity, resolution, and separation. Subjectively, they’re engaging, fun, vibrant, and immersive.

These ought to be one of the top contenders in the mid-fi category, and easily supplant the Sundara for $150 more.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,407 of 2,791
So there was bit of debate earlier in the thread regarding how much power the Edition XS needs.

I've now tested the XS on two amps: the Gustard H10 (1W @ 16 ohms) and the Drop + THX 789 (6W @ 16 ohms balanced).

The *main* difference I'm noticing so far is that the bass is better controlled and defined on the THX, and the overall sound is cleaner, leaner, and more precise. Is it a dramatic difference? Well, YMMV. What I will say is that you certainly haven't "not properly heard" the XS if you don't drive it with anything more than 1W. I certainly enjoyed the XS via the Gustard H10, and even with 1W @ 16 ohms it produced some seriously authoritative, hard hitting bass, and, interestingly, the extra power the THX offers seems to provide more control in the low-end rather than enhance its presence or impact.

So there you go!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,408 of 2,791
So there was bit of debate earlier in the thread regarding how much power the Edition XS needs.

I've now tested the XS on two amps: the Gustard H10 (1W @ 16 ohms) and the Drop + THX 789 (6W @ 16 ohms balanced).

The *main* difference I'm noticing so far is that the bass is better controlled and defined on the THX, and the overall sound is cleaner, leaner, and more precise. Is it a dramatic difference? Well, YMMV. What I will say is that you certainly haven't "not properly heard" the XS if you don't drive it with anything more than 1W. I certainly enjoyed the XS via the Gustard H10, and even with 1W @ 16 ohms it produced some seriously authoritative, hard hitting bass, and, interestingly, the extra power the THX offers seems to provide more control in the low-end rather than enhance its presence or impact.

So there you go!
I agree - although I can't confirm the >1w part.
I've recently been using my Hipdac (SE, waiting for my balanced cable to be delivered) and it's been pretty much the same experience you've described. I'll also toss in a more "distant, somewhat flat" presentation compared to my desktop amps. I imagine using balanced on the Hipdac should be a marked improvement

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,410 of 2,791

So there you go!
I appreciate the effort. But unless the circuitry and characteristics of both of the units is the same you are not just testing the watts head to head, but other things being judged under just the one handle.

That being said I suspect with music that has vigorous dynamics at a fairly loud level might well need 2 or even 4 wpc. HFM love current as much or more than any major brand. 12 years ago 4 watts was a rarity in head amps, but not so these days - at least on desktops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back