Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #466 of 2,791
That’s good enough for me, coming from precisely the Sundara (having just sold them). I did like them, but I wanted more đŸ˜‰

Linsoul have just dispatched mine too, delivery date the 27th - which is a touch optimistic probably.

The XS sounds nothing like the Sundara.
It sounds like the HE1000, but they tuned it so that it is more forward sounding.
If you've heard the Edition XV2, then you will recognize that the XS has less sharpness in the mids and less hyped resolution in the Treble.

You'll like the XS.
Its very good.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #470 of 2,791
How would you describe the sound to Someone who only has AKG K240mk2, K371, AT M50x and a brief experience with Sundara? Consideration getting this headphones.

The Hifiman HE1000 series is :

1. Airy Treble, extended upper FR, large soundstage.

2. HE1000 series : Slightly Bright upper Treble which elevates the sense of details in the music. An example is... where most good headphones let you hear a vocal clearly, the Hifiman is going to let you clearly hear the Vocalist take a breath before they start to sing.

3. HE1000 series : Midrange is somewhat clinical and tends towards analytical presentation vs fullness or "thick", as you find with Audeze or Focal Utopia.

4. HE1000 series : Upper Bass, or Low Mids, are recessed in favor of the high end being the star of the show. In some ways similar to the AKG 701 or an Abyss headphone.

5. HE1000 series : Bass response is : less upper bass and more sub bass.

Where Audeze is tonally low mid thick and full, the Hifiman is leaner and cleaner and more clinical.

Where Audeze is somewhat soundstage limited, the Hifiman HE1000 series is designed to put their entire sound inside a large space, as their sound signature, so that you seem to be in a very large room listening to the music. And this is happening inside the cups,,,,,as your perception of the sonics.

The XS, dials in the soundstage a bit, and adds a touch of midrange forwardness, while keeping the clean analytical detail retrieval that is the hallmark of the Hifiman HE1000 series.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #472 of 2,791
Dec 19, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #473 of 2,791
I saw a post of a guy talking about the mt-602 w the Xs, I have the 602 w me but not the XS and I can say that it sounds awesome on my HD 555. It is a hybrid tube amp w 1.3w output power. But it's just an amp so you'll need to get a dac.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...t-602 with Sylvania JHS 6AK5 tubes is sublime

Thank you for the suggestion,i already own the MT602 and it's a lovely device for the price,i'm not sure if it can drive the edition XS with enough power.
I'm already looking at the Smsl sp200 (suggested from @pokrog) or the Smsl sh8-s (but i don't have enough informations on the sh8-s just yet).

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #474 of 2,791
Thank you for the suggestion,i already own the MT602 and it's a lovely device for the price,i'm not sure if it can drive the edition XS with enough power.
I'm already looking at the Smsl sp200 (suggested from @pokrog) or the Smsl sh8-s (but i don't have enough informations on the sh8-s just yet).
Did they link you the SP200 deal from Drop? $140 USD + delivery (and presumably taxes for the EU).

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #477 of 2,791
Try them with what you have first. I don't feel they need that much power. They need a lot more power than the Ananda, which is designed to be driven even from a smartphone, but they aren't insane, I think most desktop amps will work with them. I have a Fiio K5 Pro (max 1.5W), but they also seem fine balanced even from my Qudelix 5K or BTR5 which are mobile devices (max 240mW). They are slightly easier to drive than the HE400SE (25Ω/91db).

1639978101793.png

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #478 of 2,791
Try them with what you have first. I don't feel they need that much power. They need a lot more power than the Ananda, which is designed to be driven even from a smartphone, but they aren't insane, I think most desktop amps will work with them. I have a Fiio K5 Pro (max 1.5W), but they also seem fine balanced even from my Qudelix 5K or BTR5 which are mobile devices (max 240mW). They are slightly easier to drive than the HE400SE (25Ω/91db).
Ok,i haven't received them just yet (shipment is in transit) but i will try them with what i have first (Hiby Fc3 and the Mt602).The question is...are those powerful enough to drive them properly?

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #479 of 2,791
Ok,i haven't received them just yet (shipment is in transit) but i will try them with what i have first (Hiby Fc3 and the Mt602).The question is...are those powerful enough to drive them properly?
Mt602 is a 1.3W rated desktop amp, should be more than enough.

The Hiby Fc3 is max 70mW, it seems to be designed more for IEMs. Worth trying to see, but 20x less, much more of a question mark.

If you mean, using the Hiby Fc3 as a DAC with the Mt602 doing the amplification, I think that sounds reasonable.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #480 of 2,791
Mt602 is a 1.3W rated desktop amp, should be more than enough.

The Hiby Fc3 is max 70mW, it seems to be designed more for IEMs. Worth trying to see, but 20x less, much more of a question mark.

If you mean, using the Hiby Fc3 as a DAC with the Mt602 doing the amplification, I think that sounds reasonable.
yes,the FC3 as a dac considering there is the ES9281pro in it and the Mt602 as amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back