Hifiman Edition X
May 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,316 of 4,030
Did you manage to get more details, anything at all (impedance, efficiency)? I see some leaflets there, surely they say something about what this headphone is supposed to be. What other headphones can you compare to? How were vocals? Separation, soundstage, detail? Did it sound like an over $1k headphone or is it more of a middle tier offering? How was the fit? Any issues there? I take it it has some sound body to it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3,317 of 4,030
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Edition X to give you guys a comparison or a helpful point of reference. Two things surprised me: a) the weight, it's really light in comparison b) how it ran off my XZ Premium. I couldn't make the Sundara usable with it at all but this beast? Much better and it really sounded good out of this simple phone.

Really liked the sound. Punchy, nice kick down low, tight, well controlled bass, no bleeding into the mids at all and no peaky highs that made me take them off. (like about 12-15 headphones today)

Sounds like it could be the same then, with just a different headband.

May 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #3,318 of 4,030
Would you really describe the HEX as punchy with a nice kick down low? I don't think any of us would like what would be considered a bass head headphone but I don't think we'd use those words either. I did initially but then listened from a different source. I wonder if the person has experience with the Aeon Flow Open and how he would compare the bass. I think the Focal Clear had a somewhat stronger bass as well without being excessive. Think I liked that.

May 12, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #3,319 of 4,030
Could the new Sandara be the new HE500 V2s???

May 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #3,321 of 4,030
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Edition X to give you guys a comparison or a helpful point of reference. Two things surprised me: a) the weight, it's really light in comparison b) how it ran off my XZ Premium. I couldn't make the Sundara usable with it at all but this beast? Much better and it really sounded good out of this simple phone.

Really liked the sound. Punchy, nice kick down low, tight, well controlled bass, no bleeding into the mids at all and no peaky highs that made me take them off. (like about 12-15 headphones today)

I am eager to have this. There is one thing that prevented me from buying the edition x: too many people claimed sundara is better than the edition x.
I guess Ananda adopted the new thin diaphragm which is adopted to Sundara as well. I hope Ananda is a significant step up from sundara.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #3,322 of 4,030
Who claimed that? Someone in this thread claimed too many people were claiming the 560 is better than the Sundara. The HEX already has a thin diaphragm, but of course I'm very curious what the differences might be and what the intention is. Still no info, and there is literally a stack of leaflets or pamphlets next to the headphone in Munich. Can one of you people there take one and give us some info? At least one person claimed to have given them a listen.

May 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,323 of 4,030
I owned sundara in some time ago, so i had followed impressions in head-fi, as well as some other sites. impressions are widely spread and scattered throughout, so you need to make some efforts to figure out yourself. But one thing i remember is that the quality of mids in sundara is better than the edition x which has recessed mids. (+ people argued dynamic punch in sundara is better).

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #3,324 of 4,030
There is one thing that prevented me from buying the edition x: too many people claimed sundara is better than the edition x.

That's funny. That was the one thing that prevented me from buying Sundara. The hype on that thread was unreal.

May 13, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,326 of 4,030
i never heard the edition x, so i can't compare them. But i was waiting for a newer version of the edition x. i was considering to rebuy focal clear, but on the second thought, clear was too uncomfortable (my neck hurts). so i guess i will buy ananda unless reviews turn out to be bad...

May 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #3,328 of 4,030
One thing for me at least is that the strongest point of these headphones are, precisely, their mids, together with their smooth sound signature...

Anyway, each of us at the end has his/her own opinion.

May 13, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #3,329 of 4,030
I really liked the separation too. Having listened to Focal and now Aeon Flow Open that sticks out big time to me. It almost appears to be a Hifiman signature feature. There's a sort of airiness that I think enhances music quite a bit. From the one Audeze headphone I tried it didn't seem to be there either. Granted it might not blow you away initially you come to appreciate it, especially if much of the competition doesn't deliver it. Apparently Sennheiser are supposed to be perhaps even better in this respect but I don't want to put up with less bass and more treble and an overall flat sound.

May 13, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #3,330 of 4,030
i never heard the edition x, so i can't compare them.

"But one thing i remember is that the quality of mids in sundara isbetter than the edition x which has recessed mids."

So you never heard the X, yet you make a pronounciation on its mids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back