Hifiman Edition X
Jan 9, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #2,386 of 4,030

Which do you prefer for electronic/experimental/alternative music? Like Radiohead, modern indie like Deerhunter, Moderat, more underground club music etc?

Elear :D

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,388 of 4,030
Originally Posted by sahmen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I liked the v1 already, but the v2 is really nice sounding, and I guess being brand spanking new doesn't hurt, even in the psychoacoustic respect, but let's move on.  I have to say, though, that the stock cables are a real bottleneck to this magnificent pair of cans... It really puzzles me that Hifiman did not even include a stock balanced cable in this package, as they do for the He-1000.  I first listened to one of my reference albums with the stock cable, and later replaced it with the Sennheiser Ch 700s, which is the stock balanced cable they sell for the HD700, and the difference between the two makes it seem as if I am listening to an entirely different pair of cans, which is better in almost every respect. Yet, if I am to be fair, that Sennheiser CH 700s, though competent as balanced cables go, is not anything that special... It makes me wonder why Hifiman would want to shoot themselves in the foot with such subpar cables for such a nice pair of cans.

Anyway, I just thought I should share.

PS :  I am thinking of ordering a Draug V2c cable for this one (Edition X V2C), which will have the benefit of complementing the Silvergarde S cable I already use with the He-1000.  I notice that you use an Audioquest balanced cable with your Edition X v2.  Any sense as to how that cable compares with the Draug V2C in quality (it does not appear that you use the V2C with your Edition X, but I am wondering whether a comparison is possible, because I am very intrigued by the V2C, so if you have any thoughts to share, they would be appreciated.)?

Interesting.  I have compared the stock V2 cable to an Oppo balanced cable and a Cardas Cross unbalanced cable and prefer the stock cable quite a bit to those two.  I also have a CH 700 but never thought of giving it a try, I will have to do that.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,389 of 4,030
  Interesting.  I have compared the stock V2 cable to an Oppo balanced cable and a Cardas Cross unbalanced cable and prefer the stock cable quite a bit to those two.  I also have a CH 700 but never thought of giving it a try, I will have to do that.

in that case, let me add following, in the interest of full disclosure:  I did the comparison on two different rigs:

Macbook pro/Amarra ==>> Emotiva DC-1 ==>>Bryston 2b LP ==>> Edition X v2

Macbook pro/Amarra ===> Geek out V2+ ==>>Edition X v2

In both cases the balanced sennheiser cable trounced the v2 stock cable quite handily, although I did not verify whether the difference mostly arose from balanced vs SE connection, or from the quality of the cables themselves, but it was there.

I would like to know how things play out on your Sennheiser HDV 600 amp, if that is the unit you are going to use for your own comparison.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,391 of 4,030
  I would like to know how things play out on your Sennheiser HDV 600 amp, if that is the unit you are going to use for your own comparison.

The HDVA600 doesn't sound very good with the Edition X.  I assume it's because the output impedance of the amp is 16 ohms which is way to high for a 25 ohm headphone and starts to impact the tonal balance (bloated bass and lack of treble energy).  I have been using the ifi pro ICAN amp with the EXV2.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,393 of 4,030
  anyone know where I can get the v2 polyester pads? looks like they are nowhere to be found, even on the hifiman website

You should ask this in the HE1000 thread...

L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,394 of 4,030
Edition X V2 review by Currawong HERE. Enjoy.

Thanks for the link, nice review. I have the HD800S, which he mentions and the longer I have the EXV2, the harder it is to go back to the 800S. It's hard to believe since I've mostly listened to Sennheisers for the past 15 years or so.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,395 of 4,030
Can anyone compare Edition X V2 to HE400i especially in upper mids and lower treble?

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,396 of 4,030
With break in the He-X are definitely looking to outclass the lcd-2 in every department besides the bass; better extended and detailed highs, very open mids, much better driver speed translating to a a very enjoyable listen. The bass might even be a matter of preference. How did Fang get them to be so sensitive and still so good? boggles my mind.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,397 of 4,030
I have HEX, LCD-X, LCD-3 and HD800 side by side and I am doing tests. I'll write a detailed review later but early impressions favors HEX. Remember these are early impressions, just a brief testing, things may change after doing A/B tests.

Very short summary:

LCD-X: I believe LCD-X has identity crisis. Wants to be neutral but then it's just a sub-par phone. Soundstage is not good compared to others. Tonality is off. I don't know what they were trying to achieve with this one. I didn't like it but maybe it's just me.

LCD-3: Nice headphone, fun to listen. HEX wins in comfort,soundstage and clarity easily but LCD-3  mids are magical. Bass is a draw. I prefer HEX overall.

HD800: King of imaging, soundstage and clarity. The problem with HD800 is its very genre specific headphone. Not enjoyable with most genres but go and play some instrumental, jazz, classical etc and get impressed. I was surprised to find out HD800 didn't trash HEX when it comes to clarity and sound stage, HEX is not that far off. HEX has the bass, tonality, genre and source/equipment versatility advantage. HD800 is technically very impressive.

Audeze's are very uncomfortable.

HEX has the worst build quality.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #2,398 of 4,030
  I have HEX, LCD-X, LCD-3 and HD800 side by side and I am doing tests. I'll write a detailed review later but early impressions favors HEX. Remember these are early impressions, just a brief testing, things may change after doing A/B tests.

Very short summary:

LCD-X: I believe LCD-X has identity crisis. Wants to be neutral but then it's just a sub-par phone. Soundstage is not good compared to others. Tonality is off. I don't know what they were trying to achieve with this one. I didn't like it but maybe it's just me.

LCD-3: Nice headphone, fun to listen. HEX wins in comfort,soundstage and clarity easily but LCD-3  mids are magical. Bass is a draw. I prefer HEX overall.

HD800: King of imaging, soundstage and clarity. The problem with HD800 is its very genre specific headphone. Not enjoyable with most genres but go and play some instrumental, jazz, classical etc and get impressed. I was surprised to find out HD800 didn't trash HEX when it comes to clarity and sound stage, HEX is not that far off. HEX has the bass, tonality, genre and source/equipment versatility advantage. HD800 is technically very impressive.

Interesting impressions. I've had the Edition X for a bit now and I wish I had my HD800 on hand to compare. 

Also interesting notes on the Audeze line. I really liked the the LCD-X, and really wanted to like it. Unfortunately there was something just odd about the tonality I couldn't get over. Also it's got that fantastic Audeze comfort /s. I think Tyll was onto something with his LCD-4 review when he discussed all Audeze's having a weird treble issue/incoherence, and the LCD-4 was such a faster headphone it really showed the issue more than the others. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #2,399 of 4,030

Very short summary:

Very good, I have or have had all of these phones as well and pretty much agree. I honestly think the hexv2 has a better soundstage than the HD800S. After listening to the v2 for a while and switching to the HD800S, the sound is very inside the head while the v2 seems like the sound is spread out in front of my head. Regarding build quality, the v2 is much improved and in line with or better than the others at this point, also the most comfortable of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back