Hifiman Edition X
Sep 2, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,162 of 4,030
I've had a look throughout this thread ... and thought I'd throw this thought out for all of ya.

1) How does the Edition X compare with the original old HFM smoothie, the HE-500?

This was the goto for those who couldn't stand the HE-6 or couldn't afford it.

It looks like everyone has had something to say comparing it to the HEK / HE560 / HE400i&S / Senn HD650 and HD800s / new muse Elear (or even the new Utopia which has the pro-reviewers drooling).

So how DOES the HE-500 sound compare to the HEX?

2) And finally, there are plenty of ya using the HEX with the Chord Mojo, but hardly any impressions on the Chord Hugo. I know the Hugo has being around for nearly 5 years, and that is considered geriatric in the fast world of digital, but does the HEX sing well with the Chord too?

Anyone?

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #2,166 of 4,030
Here is my 2 cents on Hifiman HEX: I bought this unheard unseen in Hong Kong 3 months ago. All from reading this thread. Wow, the sound is AMAZING. I was on the road and in HK the hotel rooms are so cold so I really did enjoy the burn in with the Mojo. Then I come home to Saigon Vietnam and man, I tell you guys I just became sweaty face after 20 minutes with these on. Then my face got the ITCH from the pads. I look all over the net for aftermarket pads. None!!! Since then I had to get away from my aftermarket cables I got for the HEX and went back to the stock cables since it's 10 feet. This way I can sit in front of the aircon and blow and go. Of course the V2 upgrade hits and the prices of the HEX dropped like a rock. I myself have now gotten the Violectric V220 and 3 days ago at the Saigon HiFi show I picked up the Chord 2Qute to go with the much cooler Senn 800S I picked up 10 days ago. So, HEX just didn't stand the test of time. Now the hottest headphones on Head Fi is the Either Flow and I will jump on that when it does come to Asia soon. Now the sound..... The HEX with the 2Qute and the V220, sublime!!! Hot and sweaty but great sound. Itch itch itch..........

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,168 of 4,030
I emailed Hifiman man about buying the v2 ear pads and no immediate plans to sell them
Like usual us Hifiman early adapters get screwed

This is a China company my friend. They don't know Hifi, just money money money!!! I need new pads, these are too HOT HOT HOT!!! Watch, they will never come up with these pads we paid $1800USD to get great sound but itch itch itch!!!! Love the SOUND, hate the pads. Let's see when they will answer. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,169 of 4,030

This is a China company my friend. They don't know Hifi, just money money money!!! I need new pads, these are too HOT HOT HOT!!! Watch, they will never come up with these pads we paid $1800USD to get great sound but itch itch itch!!!! Love the SOUND, hate the pads. Let's see when they will answer. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

Not commenting on the merits of your argument, but I just wanted to point out that HFIMAN is an American company based in NYC and owned by a Dr. Fang.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #2,170 of 4,030
Oh, but here I see on their world map...

"Headquarters: Tianjin"

...never mind. 
redface.gif

(I'm just glad I don't have the same skin reaction to the ear pads that you have. Sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience with them.)

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #2,171 of 4,030
Definitely a Chinese company with a US office
Want the new pads because they are said to sound better
Hifiman has lowered the price and fixed some problems and does nothing for original customers
I bought the hex first day out the sound great,but if an improvement is made we should get it when available at a reasonable price

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #2,172 of 4,030
Alibaba, Hifiman, all pure Mainland China companies. They even have their folks write things on Head Fi with very broken English. Easy to spot. But that's besides the point. I ordered the Violectric V220, the head of that firm email me directly. I ordered a product the USB key from LessLost audio, the founder of that outfit emailed me directly. Dan at Mr Speaker with the Ether Flow also answers things here on this site on their thread. Not Hifiman. They can careless. When I bought the Edition X in Hong Kong the back of the box had in Chinese their Tienjin China address I already knew what I was in for. Once they got our hard earned cash they are GONE!!! I think I am done with their product line. I got the Senn HD800S 2 weeks ago and it sounds great!!! I am waiting for the MS Ether Flow to come to HK and I will pick that up as well. The X, love the sound, but only can last 20 mins while I have them on. Not so good.

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #2,173 of 4,030
Alibaba, Hifiman, all pure Mainland China companies. They even have their folks write things on Head Fi with very broken English. Easy to spot. But that's besides the point. I ordered the Violectric V220, the head of that firm email me directly. I ordered a product the USB key from LessLost audio, the founder of that outfit emailed me directly. Dan at Mr Speaker with the Ether Flow also answers things here on this site on their thread. Not Hifiman. They can careless. When I bought the Edition X in Hong Kong the back of the box had in Chinese their Tienjin China address I already knew what I was in for. Once they got our hard earned cash they are GONE!!! I think I am done with their product line. I got the Senn HD800S 2 weeks ago and it sounds great!!! I am waiting for the MS Ether Flow to come to HK and I will pick that up as well. The X, love the sound, but only can last 20 mins while I have them on. Not so good.

They're GONE where exactly? HiFiMAN actually has a great reputation on here for making gear that works and for holding up their end of the warranty if something breaks.

It's a Chinese company and has a Chinese address, then you use the address to condemn after buying?

Untwist your panties and take it down a notch. I bought retail HEKs, more money than your HEX, and guess what, they're still just as good sounding even though there's a V2 out.

This prejudice at a well functioning, history having company in this industry because it's Chinese is bullschitt. If you don't have the money to play ball, don't blame it on the vendor for continuing to improve their products. They're handing out free upgrades in a lottery if that's more in line with you.

If you have talked to them via email and they're tossing you to the curb, post those up. But lay of the racist schiit.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2,174 of 4,030
A couple of related comments:

1.  Hifiman warranty service.  As an HE-400i owner, I had an issue with the cable losing one channel.  They replaced promptly under warranty--within a week (here in the US).

2.  HEX compared to HE-400i (Tidal fed through OPPO HA-1, balanced cables)
-- HEX soundstage is much wider, with more detailed instrument separation.
-- HEX is less fatiguing from a sound-perspective.  I can listen for longer periods at louder volumes than with the HE-400i.
-- Overall comfort of HEX is superior.  I'm a big guy, so no issues with adjustment detents.  I do think the stock pads on the HEX V1 are too thin.  My ears touch the inside grill.  He-400i clamp pressure is a little high.

3.  The HE-560 did not present itself as a leap-ahead in performance compared to the 400i.  The HEX did.  Just my opinion.

4.  As a side note, I listened to the Focal Elears a couple of weeks ago (Tidal fed through standalone DAC/AMP  that I just can't remember the name of).  Very impressed with build quality, comfort and sound.  I spent about 30 minutes with them fed by Tidal.  Bass/mids/treble were smooth and natural sounding, and adding volume, like the HEX, just made things better and without fatigue. Biggest difference was soundstage--the HEX is wider and just as deep. The Elears were impressive, but more importantly they really made me appreciate how good the HEX is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back