Hifiman Edition X
Dec 24, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #886 of 4,030

I wouldnt say its better built than my 560. Same headband system which is functional but not great looking and I prefer the wood on the 560. Considering a nice pair of 560s goes for 550-600 here on the forum can you easily say its 3x better in every aspect to warrant paying 3x what you would for a 560?

I would say based on the earcups...that work is very nice indeed. Now the 3X thing is mostly based on the sound for me. I really like the 560s and wholeheartedly recommend them for anyone looking for a great pair in that price range. But simply put the Edition X are my favourite semi-portable pair of headphones I've come across. I thought that kind of incredible sound was only attained with a full desktop rig ahead of it for a full sized pair of headphones.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #887 of 4,030

I would say based on the earcups...that work is very nice indeed. Now the 3X thing is mostly based on the sound for me. I really like the 560s and wholeheartedly recommend them for anyone looking for a great pair in that price range. But simply put the Edition X are my favourite semi-portable pair of headphones I've come across. I thought that kind of incredible sound was only attained with a full desktop rig ahead of it for a full sized pair of headphones.

I can get on board with the fact you can get a higher quality sound with less power required and more portable. Makes sense they did sound quite fine off just my iphone when I did try them. If portability isnt something you value I'd have a hard time recommending them over a 560 based on cost and what I heard. They didn't blow me away.

Also for 1700 bucks they don't feel or look premium in any way. When I think of that kind of money I think of the LCD-Xs I had combined with that awesome travel case felt, sounded, and looked the business. Also came with all different types of cables. Ether comes with that nice case as well. The fact this comes in some **** box and they don't even give you a balanced cable is a joke at 1700 bucks.

I'd probably be on board with these around 1200.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #888 of 4,030
  I can get on board with the fact you can get a higher quality sound with less power required and more portable. Makes sense they did sound quite fine off just my iphone when I did try them. If portability isnt something you value I'd have a hard time recommending them over a 560 based on cost and what I heard. They didn't blow me away.

Also for 1700 bucks they don't feel or look premium in any way. When I think of that kind of money I think of the LCD-Xs I had combined with that awesome travel case felt, sounded, and looked the business. Also came with all different types of cables. Ether comes with that nice case as well. The fact this comes in some **** box and they don't even give you a balanced cable is a joke at 1700 bucks.

Did I say that? I'd suggest you look at my statement again. As well, when I was referring to brilliant sound quality that was off my AK240SS (not my iPhone....which is really great but not earth shattering).

I happen to have the LCD-X here and think the build quality of both is on par, but the HE-X are lighter, way more portable (as a result) and incredibly comfortable. You do realize that the LCD-X don't come with a balanced cable either? (They used to, but that's been stopped a while back). Plus, I don't think the Edition X really benefit from balanced operation (I use my HE1000 balanced with them as well) due to their extreme efficiency (very much like the LCD-X).

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #889 of 4,030

Did I say that? I'd suggest you look at my statement again. As well, when I was referring to brilliant sound quality that was off my AK240SS (not my iPhone....which is really great but not earth shattering).

I happen to have the LCD-X here and think the build quality of both is on par, but the HE-X are lighter, way more portable (as a result) and incredibly comfortable. You do realize that the LCD-X don't come with a balanced cable either? (They used to, but that's been stopped a while back).

I mean I took it for what it was worth. I wouldn't ever think you'd drive these off an iphone. Just making an observation that I did try them on just my phone and it was decent. Something clearly not possible on a 560. I'd expect you'd be using something like an AK, FiiO, or Mojo. :). I did try my 560s on a Mojo and while nice felt it was lacking in comparison to my desktop setup.

We can agree to disagree since this hobby is all personal pref I just felt personally the HEX didn't feel as premium to me as a lot of other headphones I have especially for the money. They just didnt fit right for me either I had to click the headband adjuster all the way down and even that felt not right for me.  It is sure a fantastic headphone but did nothing for me personally since on the go I use my IEMs. Also I wouldn't sell my 560 and pay the cost of admission since I didnt feel it was that much better.

Also didn't realize Audeze stopped sending with balanced cables. That is quite sad.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #890 of 4,030

I mean I took it for what it was worth. I wouldn't ever think you'd drive these off an iphone. Just making an observation that I did try them on just my phone and it was decent. Something clearly not possible on a 560. I'd expect you'd be using something like an AK, FiiO, or Mojo. :)

We can agree to disagree since this hobby is all personal pref I just felt personally the HEX didn't feel as premium to me as a lot of other headphones I have especially for the money. They just didnt fit right for me either I had to click the headband adjuster all the way down and even that felt not right for me.  It is sure a fantastic headphone but did nothing for me personally since on the go I use my IEMs.

With my AK240SS, I haven't come across a pair of headphones that rivals most desktop rigs...and the Edition X fulfill that; plus they sound incredibly great out of my iPad Air for using in bed. No other pair of full sized headphones I've come across has done that AND been very light and comfortable. The LCD-X are very good in terms of sound quality and efficiency, but they are just too big and heavy for the "portability" option. Build quality, both are on-par with each other (have both here BTW) and seeing that they are priced about the same, I'm thinking the value of the Ed. X are right there. 

No IEM I've come across (including the Layla) sounds this BIG and full. 

Happy Holidays BTW!

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #891 of 4,030

With my AK240SS, I haven't come across a pair of headphones that rivals most desktop rigs...and the Edition X fulfill that; plus they sound incredibly great out of my iPad Air for using in bed. No other pair of full sized headphones I've come across has done that AND been very light and comfortable. The LCD-X are very good in terms of sound quality and efficiency, but they are just too big and heavy for the "portability" option. Build quality, both are on-par with each other (have both here BTW) and seeing that they are priced about the same, I'm thinking the value of the Ed. X are right there. 

No IEM I've come across (including the Layla) sounds this BIG and full. 

Thanks for the insight. Well I had the Xs for awhile, dunno something about it just made it feel more premium to me. Maybe the heft of it.  I also agree on big and heavy for sure, you won't see me walking around in public with my XCs on. They are on the stand and stay there until I'm ready to use them. Personally don't have any issue with the weight but again different strokes for different folks. Comfort is one of the reasons I hang on to the 560s, can wear it all day long and I know I could do the same with the HEX. The 3s and XCs I probably could too but not as easily. HEX are quite comfortable but fit for me was a bit off. I still think they could step up the presentation a bit for 1700 bucks but that is my opinion. 

Have you tried the KSE1500 yet? 

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #892 of 4,030

Thanks for the insight. Well I had the Xs for awhile, dunno something about it just made it feel more premium to me. Maybe the heft of it.  I also agree on big and heavy for sure, you won't see me walking around in public with my XCs on. They are on the stand and stay there until I'm ready to use them. Personally don't have any issue with the weight but again different strokes for different folks. Comfort is one of the reasons I hang on to the 560s, can wear it all day long and I know I could do the same with the HEX. The 3s and XCs I probably could too but not as easily. HEX are quite comfortable but fit for me was a bit off. I still think they could step up the presentation a bit for 1700 bucks but that is my opinion. 

Have you tried the KSE1500 yet? 

Not yet...hoping to soon!

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #893 of 4,030

I happen to have the LCD-X here and think the build quality of both is on par, but the HE-X are lighter, way more portable (as a result) and incredibly comfortable. You do realize that the LCD-X don't come with a balanced cable either? (They used to, but that's been stopped a while back). Plus, I don't think the Edition X really benefit from balanced operation (I use my HE1000 balanced with them as well) due to their extreme efficiency (very much like the LCD-X).

I purchased my LCD-X in June and it came with a balanced cable.  Just checked the Audeze website and it lists a balanced cable as part of the package.  I do all my listening in bed so the weight is not a concern to me.  I am on the TTVJ loaner tour and it is disappointing that a balanced cable is not included.  I have not even tried the SE out on my Liquid Carbon but numerous people on the LC thread say it is really an afterthought.  Still looking forward to hearing the HE-X.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #894 of 4,030
  I purchased my LCD-X in June and it came with a balanced cable.  Just checked the Audeze website and it lists a balanced cable as part of the package.  I do all my listening in bed so the weight is not a concern to me.  I am on the TTVJ loaner tour and it is disappointing that a balanced cable is not included.  I have not even tried the SE out on my Liquid Carbon but numerous people on the LC thread say it is really an afterthought.  Still looking forward to hearing the HE-X.

I'm pretty sure the LCD Series only comes with a standard cable; a fairly recent change. I do know that the LCD-4 did that I got to review a month ago only had the SE cable.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #895 of 4,030
More details better space between instruments much larger and deeper sound stage
More body in the mids highs are more relaxing bass is about the same
I just can enjoyably listen to these much longer then any others phones I have had,just get lost in the music

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #896 of 4,030
You can not measure headphones by are they worth 3 times the amount
I have a pair of akg 701s the difference is 10 fold in price, of course it's not 10 times better
You pay a premium for better sound has always been that way if you are an audiophile you are addicted to sound
I also find the experience depends on the quality of the recording jazz and classical are recorded better than rock, electric etc bass is the holly Grail for many people,
I like good bass but jazz is not built around the beat

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #897 of 4,030
  I'm pretty sure the LCD Series only comes with a standard cable; a fairly recent change. I do know that the LCD-4 did that I got to review a month ago only had the SE cable.

The only headphones in the LCD lineup that no longer come with the SE and balanced cables are the LCD-2 and LCD-4.  The rest of line still includes the balanced cable.

The rational given for the LCD-4 coming with a single cable is the change to a more expensive cable - the buyer chooses which version (SE or Balanced) they want included.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #898 of 4,030

The only headphones in the LCD lineup that no longer come with the SE and balanced cables are the LCD-2 and LCD-4.  The rest of line still includes the balanced cable.

The rational given for the LCD-4 coming with a single cable is the change to a more expensive cable - the buyer chooses which version (SE or Balanced) they want included.

Really? I thought it was across the board...some have reported that with the LCD-X/3/XC in the past few months?

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #899 of 4,030

Really? I thought it was across the board...some have reported that with the LCD-X/3/XC in the past few months?

Just opened a new LCD-X box at my dealer a few days ago and the balanced cable was in there.  I'm fairly sure he had received it in the last week or so from Audeze.  Also still showing on the web site for the X/XC/3.

Can you link to some of the reports of those headphones not coming with balanced cables?  I don't recall reading any in the threads I follow.

I'll see if someone at Audeze can give a definitive answer.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #900 of 4,030
So you haven't been in the same room with the Edition X and you're making these comments? :rolleyes:  The HE-X is much better built than either the HE400i or HE-560...and sounds way, way better too. 

Been in the room with heK, 560 and 400i and came back with *very* different opinions/conclusions than yours. Yes they sound different but that's pretty much all. Havent heard any of that 'better' that you guys keep talking about. Havent heard new sounds in familiar songs, the sound wasnt obviously clarer/cleaner, no particular cohesion/consistency over the whole freq band, no extra comfort .. yeah (arguably) bigger soundstage, yes some extra bass and a diff coloration .. but most of those things are an EQ away with almost any other HE model.
And I'm also not sure what exactly do you mean with that 'better build'. The heX seems to be built from exactly the same materials as 400i .. my 400i is also pretty much flawless in the BQ dept .. the headband & cables are same for all 2015 models ... so what exactly does 'better build' mean for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back