Hifiman Edition X
Nov 2, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #257 of 4,030
well, don't get me wrong, I like how the hek sound, and I think that they are overall better sounding than the LCD3. I just find the bass not punchy as I personally like, it's soft character is enjoyable for the majority of genres but not the ones that I listen to , which is mostly rock and metal. As far as the Ether's, I haven,t listened to it yet, but most people find it a little bit thin, which is a deal breaker for me. Look forward to the Ether c though. The edition x is said to be more punchy??? If so, It looks attracting to me.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #259 of 4,030
Nov 3, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #260 of 4,030
  Hey thanks for dropping by the booth to hear the Edition X, HE1000 and other HIFIMAN products.  

Actually, The Edition X is a slightly downscaled, more efficient version of the HE1000s. HFM says it’s 20 percent lighter and has a sensitivity of 107dB, which is extremely high for planar-magnetic headphones.  The company advised me that the Edition X is not using the Nano-technology used in the HE1000.  The HE1000 is rated at 90dB/mW @ 35 Ohms.  If HifiMan's preliminary info is accurate, the Edition X will be rated at 107dB/mW @ 25 Ohms.  That's an efficiency improvement of 17dB over the HE1000!

NOTE: I was advised the forecasted USD MSRP should be around $1800.00 USD and with a 1.35 ratio on the USD-CAD dollars, would set a $2600 CAD retail.  

If the usd price is $1800 than with a 1.35 conversion to cad would make it $2430 cad

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #261 of 4,030

If the usd price is $1800 than with a 1.35 conversion to cad would make it $2430 cad

For me  there is no linear relation between price and sound quality... I am also canadian, hence the price are now in the roof...I will not buy anything above 1,500 canadian dollars....I will serach for quality, and relatively low price...Those things exist, i had discovered already some small miraculous bargain in headphone... Some products are not in the hype nor in the speaking mouth of people... they exist....Go for them...
atsmile.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #262 of 4,030
My guess is on $1799 :wink:

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #263 of 4,030

Agreed, which was probably where the line stopped for me so if it does come to being this price point, I'm not fussed.

What this would do is split itself between the Ether and Audeze's slightly cheaper LCD-X and more costly LCD-3 which will make for some very interesting comparisons.

Must say the Edition X aesthetically looks the most pleasing to my eye. I know that shouldn't matter to me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to enjoy what my headphone looks like. :p

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #264 of 4,030

I'd really like to meet one of you guess-the-price guys and figure out whether you are just missinformed or you are driven by some sort of pretty suspicios "generosity".

First of all, you are not guessing anything because there is no final price set ... you are just telling them to take $1799 out of your pocket.. and since you are so easily eager to pay that, they'll actually set the price even higher.

Second of all, I'd like to know what makes you think those HPs are worth such astronomical prices!? This is not the he1k, there are no high cost materials involved and no high end new drivers/diafragms. In terms of production costs you should compare to the he500. The he500 is most probably more expensive to produce because of the much more complex driver with many more parts. This is a *simplified* HP: reduced no of parts, complexity, weight, etc. I bet it costs much *less* to build than the $700 he500. So why exactly do most people think that the X should sell for much more?

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #265 of 4,030
I'd really like to meet one of you guess-the-price guys and figure out whether you are just missinformed or you are driven by some sort of pretty suspicios "generosity".

First of all, you are not guessing anything because there is no final price set ... you are just telling them to take $1799 out of your pocket.. and since you are so easily eager to pay that, they'll actually set the price even higher.

Second of all, I'd like to know what makes you think those HPs are worth such astronomical prices!? This is not the he1k, there are no high cost materials involved and no high end new drivers/diafragms. In terms of production costs you should compare to the he500. The he500 is most probably more expensive to produce because of the much more complex driver with many more parts. This is a *simplified* HP: reduced no of parts, complexity, weight, etc. I bet it costs much *less* to build than the $700 he500. So why exactly do most people think that the X should sell for much more?

Prot, you may not like it but my assumption on price is exactly that, mine. There is no need for you to target people who are just expressing their opinions like it or lump it.  

Astronomical? Did you just see the release of the new Sennheiser Orpheus successor? And even that would be considered reasonable to the right person, it's all about perspective and affordability to the right person. You may consider this to be an astronomical price, and yes it is a large sum of money no doubt but do not come here and think that because I am willing to spend $1799 on a headphone that I have any reason to listen to you bicker about us conversing on what we think is a suitable price for these headphones. Would I prefer them cheaper? Heck yes I would, but am I content on the Edition X at $1799, well I don't know yet do i, I haven't heart the damn things but that price is about as far as I would go to buy any headphone let alone this one. I couldn't give a rats a** about the HE500 and how much it costs. A lot of headphones are priced for more then they actually cost to build, this is no exception. 

Have a great day, and it was fantastic reading your annoying little comment. 
M

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #266 of 4,030
Prot, you may not like it but my assumption on price is exactly that, mine. There is no need for you to target people who are just expressing their opinions like it or lump it.  

Astronomical? Did you just see the release of the new Sennheiser Orpheus successor? And even that would be considered reasonable to the right person, it's all about perspective and affordability to the right person. You may consider this to be an astronomical price, and yes it is a large sum of money no doubt but do not come here and think that because I am willing to spend $1799 on a headphone that I have any reason to listen to you bicker about us conversing on what we think is a suitable price for these headphones. Would I prefer them cheaper? Heck yes I would, but am I content on the Edition X at $1799, well I don't know yet do i, I haven't heart the damn things but that price is about as far as I would go to buy any headphone let alone this one. I couldn't give a rats a** about the HE500 and how much it costs. A lot of headphones are priced for more then they actually cost to build, this is no exception. 

Have a great day, and it was fantastic reading your annoying little comment. 

M

Only picked up your post to quote because it was convenient .. nothin personal, no idea who you are. On a personal note, to post on a public forum with millions of readers and then pretend that the post is "mine only" requires some special kind of ego. And you got it wrong, that price is not astronomical for my pocket, just compared to the production costs. If I really like mars bars and can pay $5000 for one, it doesnt mean that I or anyone should. And this is also not a discussion about the sound of HPs, I think that's pretty good in hfman's case.
Anyway, gave you a thumbs up just for taking the effort to reply. It didnt help me to decide where you stand between the "generosity" and the other thing but anyway, I am curious & thankful.

Going back to those prices, I initially blamed hfman. They benefited tremendously from this comunity, the head-fi people put them on the world map... and now they seem determined to aggresively milk every last cent out of everyone's pocket. That's a bit too much greed for my taste.

OTOH, it's very hard to blame hfman because they did not "guess" those prices. People like you did. You & your guessing friends literally set the price on those HPs with your own wallet. And at the same time, some of you also complain about the expensive prices and pretend that they would like to have cheaper HPs.
That's extremely depressing and hopeless.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #267 of 4,030
Only picked up your post to quote because it was convenient .. nothin personal, no idea who you are. On a personal note, to post on a public forum with millions of readers and then pretend that the post is "mine only" requires some special kind of ego. And you got it wrong, that price is not astronomical for my pocket, just compared to the production costs. If I really like mars bars and can pay $5000 for one, it doesnt mean that I or anyone should. And this is also not a discussion about the sound of HPs, I think that's pretty good in hfman's case.

Anyway, gave you a thumbs up just for taking the effort to reply. It didnt help me to decide where you stand between the "generosity" and the other thing but anyway, I am curious & thankful.

Going back to those prices, I initially blamed hfman. They benefited tremendously from this comunity, the head-fi people put them on the world map... and now they seem determined to aggresively milk every last cent out of everyone's pocket. That's a bit too much greed for my taste.

OTOH, it's very hard to blame hfman because they did not "guess" those prices. People like you did. You & your guessing friends literally set the price on those HPs with your own wallet. And at the same time, some of you also complain about the expensive prices and pretend that they would like to have cheaper HPs.

That's extremely depressing and hopeless.

Wanted to formally apologize to you Prot and anyone else for that matter that was impacted in my agreeing upon $1799 being something reasonable for me to consider when buying. I never intended to inflict a flame war on you Prot, I just wanted to get my opinion out there on what I considered to be a price I'm willing to accept. I will keep to lurking in future. :frowning2:

Also wanted to further apologize to you Prot on the response I gave, some on your points were fair, and it does seem I went out of line on occasion, I realized my mistake and if you can forgive a nobody on a headphone forum, that would be wonderful.

Retracted my comments, and I hope that the X when finally released proves to be a great sounding headphone which I will love to hear one day.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #268 of 4,030
I must agree with prot here. Too many people are just throwing their wallet at the companies without questioning the prices. Some people even beg for an overpriced product which is beyond my comprehension. And it's a silly trend that seems to be only growing for some reason. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #269 of 4,030
I must agree with prot here. Too many people are just throwing their wallet at the companies without questioning the prices. Some people even beg for an overpriced product which is beyond my comprehension. And it's a silly trend that seems to be only growing for some reason. 

Agreed, hopefully head fi doesn't go the way of two channel and become a game for the uber wealthy.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #270 of 4,030
Wanted to formally apologize to you Prot and anyone else for that matter that was impacted in my agreeing upon $1799 being something reasonable for me to consider when buying. I never intended to inflict a flame war on you Prot, I just wanted to get my opinion out there on what I considered to be a price I'm willing to accept. I will keep to lurking in future. :frowning2:

Also wanted to further apologize to you Prot on the response I gave, some on your points were fair, and it does seem I went out of line on occasion, I realized my mistake and if you can forgive a nobody on a headphone forum, that would be wonderful.

Retracted my comments, and I hope that the X when finally released proves to be a great sounding headphone which I will love to hear one day.

Nobody is a nobody :) And no offence and no apologies needed .. and of course everyone is entitled to their oppinion. Just wish that us as a community will think a bit more about our own words and wallets.

I am sure the X would be a good HP. But there's no need to take a car loan to buy a HP. And unless they are manually built in manhattan by harvard law graduates, any HP over $1500 is grossly overpriced IMHO.
In case of the other offenders, one could at least cut them some rope: audeze makes their cans in us (or used to), uses some expensive woods and they are not a big operation... mrspeakers & jps are also quite small and us-based.. the fostex also uses exotic materials.. the old stax were made in japan and used cutting edge, expensive tech .. the hd800 are made in germany and used cutting edge tech and materials too.. the he1k was a road opener with a new hightech diafragm, etc.
But none of these things applies to the X. Hfman is a big company by now with lots of production capacity and experience in one of the cheapest markets .. no expensive/exotic materials are used for the X .. the driver seems to be an incremental development on the he560 one (or maybe tricledown from he1k). Sounds to me like a business-as-usual HP with a (potentially) very "unusual" price. I cannot see a single freakin reason other than greed for those cans to cost over $1500 (actually I'd bet they'll make a handsome and well deserved profit at $1000 too.)
Or maybe I am wrong .. somebody please correct me if I missed something. I am ready to accept that I am the unreasonable party here.. just tell me how/why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back