Hifiman Edition X
Jan 1, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,051 of 4,030
Interested in this headphone but as I no longer own any desktop DACs and big amplifiers I would be limited to using my Chord Mojo. Can anybody who has tried this combination tell me how it sounds and how it compares to full-sized amps and DACs? I've seen the figures and read the blurb, but I wouldn't buy the HEX unless I thought the Mojo could coax out of them close to optimal performance.

I've been auditioning the Mojo-HES pair for about a week.  IMHO and for my tastes and preferences it is a match match made in heaven not just because it sounds great, but also small, light, portable and a big step up from an iPhone or the X5.  When i first received the HEX  I had been listening to PM-3s out of Mojo.  I unplugged them and plugged in the HEX.  It was an OMG moment.  I switched back to the PM-3s which I really like and couldn't believe how the sound felt like it had collapsed (of course this is open versus closed cans).  I went back to HEX and tried it with a lot of different music.  Since it's very revealing you need good source material and a good software player like Onkyo HD or Audirvana (I'm an Apple user) for best effect but Mojo and Hex make compressed MP3s sound better than they ever did before.  Ditto CDs.  Of course Garbage In Garbage out applies.  

I will be posting impressions of the HEX in the coming week.  Let's leave it as I find the pairing extremely enjoyable and captivating to listen to and I am sorely tempted to buy the HEX even if I think the price is just too high.  Adam Smith told us a long time ago that the right price is the one which maximizes the seller's gains. Hifiman may be right, a lot of people may buy these at $1799--for me I am not yet sure.   Let me also add that I thought the HEX sounded better or at least a little different using Gumby and the Liquid Carbon but not in any way that detracts from HEX or Mojo.  I also found a couple weaknesses of the HEX but heck, no headphone is going to be absolutely perfect.  More on that later when I post impressions.  Suffice to say it's a very enjoyable listen.  You will forget yourself and find yourself listening instead of working or studying or whatever is was you were supposed to be doing.  Enough said?

In fairness to Oppo I have to note that I am keeping the PM-3s.  They are portable, extremely well-built, and have a more subtle and detailed musical sound with a pretty fair soundstage for closed cans. I can enjoy them for hours on end.  Both these phones are light, fit well on me and are comfortable.  The HEX noses out the PM-3s on comfort for me.  It just disappears from thought after a few minutes.  Hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,052 of 4,030
I agree you just get lost listening to the Hex
I bought them for a special occasion my 70th birthday I'm old otherwise don't know if I would have spend that much
So far it's worth it
Again no headphone over a $1000 is worth it but something is worth what you pay

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,053 of 4,030
I agree you just get lost listening to the Hex
I bought them for a special occasion my 70th birthday I'm old otherwise don't know if I would have spend that much
So far it's worth it
Again no headphone over a $1000 is worth it but something is worth what you pay

I've been auditioning the Mojo-HES pair for about a week.  IMHO and for my tastes and preferences it is a match match made in heaven not just because it sounds great, but also small, light, portable and a big step up from an iPhone or the X5.  When i first received the HEX  I had been listening to PM-3s out of Mojo.  I unplugged them and plugged in the HEX.  It was an OMG moment.  I switched back to the PM-3s which I really like and couldn't believe how the sound felt like it had collapsed (of course this is open versus closed cans).  I went back to HEX and tried it with a lot of different music.  Since it's very revealing you need good source material and a good software player like Onkyo HD or Audirvana (I'm an Apple user) for best effect but Mojo and Hex make compressed MP3s sound better than they ever did before.  Ditto CDs.  Of course Garbage In Garbage out applies.  

I will be posting impressions of the HEX in the coming week.  Let's leave it as I find the pairing extremely enjoyable and captivating to listen to and I am sorely tempted to buy the HEX even if I think the price is just too high.  Adam Smith told us a long time ago that the right price is the one which maximizes the seller's gains. Hifiman may be right, a lot of people may buy these at $1799--for me I am not yet sure.   Let me also add that I thought the HEX sounded better or at least a little different using Gumby and the Liquid Carbon but not in any way that detracts from HEX or Mojo.  I also found a couple weaknesses of the HEX but heck, no headphone is going to be absolutely perfect.  More on that later when I post impressions.  Suffice to say it's a very enjoyable listen.  You will forget yourself and find yourself listening instead of working or studying or whatever is was you were supposed to be doing.  Enough said?

In fairness to Oppo I have to note that I am keeping the PM-3s.  They are portable, extremely well-built, and have a more subtle and detailed musical sound with a pretty fair soundstage for closed cans. I can enjoy them for hours on end.  Both these phones are light, fit well on me and are comfortable.  The HEX noses out the PM-3s on comfort for me.  It just disappears from thought after a few minutes.  Hope this helps.

I'm happy to hear these are sounding really great out of the Mojo!

I think really for portable use, despite being open an the cost in the hands of... a more responsiable adult listener, these are the way to go. I'm talking cushy office job kind of guys [or sales] like my self maybe even for the buisness man whos travling often, carry around the Mojo ur phone the the HE X, arrive in your hotel an enjoy TOTL sound in a small portable package, right in your hotel 

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,054 of 4,030
i hope for their sake that they do good driver matching because i saw measurements else where and a channel had mid peaks that the other didnt have.. I HATE THAT.. channel should be totally matched 100/100

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,055 of 4,030
  i hope for their sake that they do good driver matching because i saw measurements else where and a channel had mid peaks that the other didnt have.. I HATE THAT.. channel should be totally matched 100/100

Oh so this is a documented issue 

thats nice oh well, the Customer service is great so they offer nice support 

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,057 of 4,030
Listening to my Edition -X as i write this...very impressed.....very comfortable,light and easy to wear......very open and airy sounding,very detailed.....the only issue at least for me is getting used to the increased efficiency since i listen through my Hugo or Mojo on the go .....it really is a scaled down version of the HEK to my ears.....I look forward to taking them out on the road with me with my Hugo or Mojo...I am listening without burn in so I will report on the sound after proper burn in

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,058 of 4,030

.it really is a scaled down version of the HEK to my ears....

Do you mean that sonically HEX is not as good as HEK ?  

If price was the same, will you always choose HEK or could you choose HEX instead sometime for some special configurations or type of music music ? 

( I was not THAT blown away by HEK, so I wonder if it is worth testing the HEX ?)

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,060 of 4,030
the HEX is better,but the edition -x is outstanding...the HEX is the best headphone i have ever heard......i assume it would something like comparing an LCD-3F to the new LCD-4......I have not heard the LCD-4 yet,i am just trying to imagine a similar type comparison....rest assured the edition -x is outstanding

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,061 of 4,030
  the HEX is better,but the edition -x is outstanding...the HEX is the best headphone i have ever heard......i assume it would something like comparing an LCD-3F to the new LCD-4......I have not heard the LCD-4 yet,i am just trying to imagine a similar type comparison....rest assured the edition -x is outstanding

????

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,062 of 4,030
I am in the middle of 1 week window to listen to the Edition X as part of the loaner review program. This is the first really expensive headphone I have had an extensive listen to. I have listened to the T1, HD800, and LCD2 in a quiet setting for a couple of hours and them plus a few more expensive headphones at various head-fi meets over the years. So I have a bit of an idea of what more expensive headphones offer but not in a daily basis.

To give an idea of what I like I bought the Sony Z7 andbZ5 last year and have been using them with a Pono player in balanced mode and they became my defacto favorites. So I like bass boosted warm gear with detailed but polite treble. I also recently picked up the PSB M4U4 IEM which is less bass heavy and more balanced than the Z5 which I also have enjoyed. When I first tried the HEX I found it to sound more like the M4U4 signature wise.

So here I am on day 2 using the HEX and my worst fears have been realized! I really REALLY like the HEX! It offers the best of every headphone I mentioned above and improves on those areas by quite a margin.

So if I was to say what areas are improved I would say the HEX offers a better balance of bass than the Sony's and slightly more bass than the M4U4 with amazing control, nuance, and texture. The bass is strong enough to satisfy my basshead tendencies while being controlled enough to never sound over done, bloated, or over lap other frequencies. The midrange similarly is clear, detailed, and never recessed. Liking warm signatures I like it's slight warmth. The treble is definitely a bit brighter than the Sony's being more like the M4U4. I notice just a hint of ear fatigue when using the HEX but LOVE the added treble presence as it just adds to all music while never crossing into harshness or sibilance. Finally I can not say strongly enough how much I love the sound stage and imaging of the HEX. It offers a very open sound with the 3D imaging of the Z5 beating any open or closed headphone I have owned. I can not say how it compares to the HD800, LCD2, T1 and the like as I have not heard them recently enough to offer a comparison in this area but the HEX is certainly better than my Sony's and the AKG K712 which I used to own, in this regard.

So why is this my worst fear? Its simple really. This headphone costs as much as my entire family vacation last year. It weighs in at a hefty $2400CAD which means I would need to save $200 a month for the next year to afford this musical marvel. It also means I need to say to my family I want a personal product that's worth as much as our entire family vacation just for myself! So I am struggling with guilt over what feels like an extreme extravagance.

Do I think it is 3 times better than my Sony's? Certainly not, but I am very tempted to buy it anyway (a year from now after I have save up enough money).

So there you have it. I have a new 10/10 standard for listening excellence as the HEX stands head and shoulders above my previous headphones but at a price point that is close if not possibly to high for me to ever attain/justify. So heres hoping to winning the lottery :).

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,063 of 4,030
FWIIW the edition -x will definitely be a good can for those who want to use a DAP or phone....I listened using my hugo and now i am burning them in using a digital radio....when i put them on with the radio the sound was deeper and richer than with my other cans that i also burned in with the same source....personally i will be using an amp but i can see it being a real nice alternative for one with an astell kern or some other DAP or phone

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #1,064 of 4,030
My post above sounded good enough I decided to incorporate it into my review. For those interested here you go.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,065 of 4,030
My post above sounded good enough I decided to incorporate it into my review. For those interested here you go.

Thanks a lot for your review. I think I might have the worst feared senario as u. my inner brain keeps telling me the sound is not technically correct or superior In all aspect, but my forward brain keeps grabbing the HEX everytime... I dunno why..

For those who love hd650... This is it.. I will write something later..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back