Hifiman Edition X
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,151 of 4,030
Isn't paying with Paypal the only option they give you? I didn't see anywhere to put in my card. Tell me more about the Aeon Flows you were posting about before the edit. I don't think I should be trusting these people with an ID and images of my credit card. Very strange.

As for the Schiit stack, my concern was with possible damage to the headphones, not finding it hard to control the volume.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,152 of 4,030
There's something else that is even more bizarre, by the way. On their site they have a tab called Fraudulent Customers. There they list names with addresses, telephone numbers, and emails. What in the world?

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,153 of 4,030
Tell me more about the Aeon Flows you were posting about before the edit.
There's plenty over on the Aeon Flow Open thread on the forum if you want to know more about them. They're a few hundred cheaper than the Edition X. They have a darker, warmer sound, with more detailed bass and sub-bass, but they have a smaller soundstage than the Edition X, and they're only semi-open. They're also a little harder to drive than the Edition X. I really like them both and I was conflicted between them, but I'm leaning towards the AFO now. I want something really dark and warm for the type of music I can't enjoy on the Utopias.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #3,154 of 4,030
I'm not familiar with these terms. I read of darkness and warmth and I have no idea what they're referring to. Also, part of the appeal of the Edition X is supposed to be that they sound good across genres. I've read a few posts stating they might not be very good for "edm", which I presume branches out to all sorts of techno and electronic music, which is concerning for me as that is a type of music I enjoy. I'm also curious about the HD800. For what is supposed to be a very popular higher end headphone I get the impression from comments that it has a sound not suitable for a good deal of music, and may be fatiguing as well. How significant is it that it's not planar magnetic either?

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #3,156 of 4,030
Well, setting the Hifiman weirdness aside, I'll just get them through Amazon minus the free portable player and the iems, which appear to be value of a few hundred dollars but what can you do. I'll be using the headphones with a Fiio A5 amplifier in conjunction with my iPod and the Modi 2/Magni 3 Schiit stack on my computer, for which I'll have to wait until May. What expectations should I have? I'm currently using HE-400i, and was extremely underwhelmed by DT 770 250-ohm and Oppo PM-3 (had a portable Nano iDSD Black Label dac/amp for the DT 770s and was able to try the PM-3s in the same conditions as the 400i). Obviously I'm very ignorant of all of this. The Edition X v2 appeals to me for a few reasons. One, for a higher end headphone (not the highest of course) it's almost uniquely self-sufficient. Even the Fiio A5 should be enough for rewarding use. I was very unwilling to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for dacs and amps to enable extremely expensive headphones as are. Two, and related, these headphones can definitely be used portably, without needing to buy a Chord Mojo either. The sensible length of the cable being a big factor as well. Three, I didn't want headphones that would either be painful to listen to or inappropriate for different genres. For all of this money the notion that your headphones would be bothersome or inadequate is borderline absurd. Some of you apparently buy multiple of these for use with different songs but that just doesn't apply to me. I'm just a relatively speaking cheap-ass pleb in pursuit of an end-game that makes enough all-around sense. Did I make the right choice?

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #3,157 of 4,030
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,158 of 4,030
Well, setting the Hifiman weirdness aside, I'll just get them through Amazon minus the free portable player and the iems, which appear to be value of a few hundred dollars but what can you do. I'll be using the headphones with a Fiio A5 amplifier in conjunction with my iPod and the Modi 2/Magni 3 Schiit stack on my computer, for which I'll have to wait until May. What expectations should I have? I'm currently using HE-400i, and was extremely underwhelmed by DT 770 250-ohm and Oppo PM-3 (had a portable Nano iDSD Black Label dac/amp for the DT 770s and was able to try the PM-3s in the same conditions as the 400i). Obviously I'm very ignorant of all of this. The Edition X v2 appeals to me for a few reasons. One, for a higher end headphone (not the highest of course) it's almost uniquely self-sufficient. Even the Fiio A5 should be enough for rewarding use. I was very unwilling to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for dacs and amps to enable extremely expensive headphones as are. Two, and related, these headphones can definitely be used portably, without needing to buy a Chord Mojo either. The sensible length of the cable being a big factor as well. Three, I didn't want headphones that would either be painful to listen to or inappropriate for different genres. For all of this money the notion that your headphones would be bothersome or inadequate is borderline absurd. Some of you apparently buy multiple of these for use with different songs but that just doesn't apply to me. I'm just a relatively speaking cheap-ass pleb in pursuit of an end-game that makes enough all-around sense. Did I make the right choice?

I agree with @ra990. You will like the Edition Xv2. They are not fussy headphones and are very versatile. The Fiio A5 will work really well -- they sound great with portable devices, even straight from my humble iPad. I have a Sony NW-ZX300 Walkman and use the Xv2 with it with great results (with a custom balanced 4.4mm-ended cable). I think it's really cool that I can walk around the house listening to a high-end headphone like the Xv2 without being chained to a headphone amp.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #3,159 of 4,030
I'm still concerned about the Magni 3 based on some of what I've been reading here.

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel

Initially I was going to use only the Fiio A5 with the HE-400i but it's kind of a hassle not leaving it constantly plugged in, its battery is going to degrade anyway, and I wanted to see how a DAC will affect sound so I ordered the basic Schiit stack. But obviously the Magni 3 has some power and I would really like to know if there is any danger for the headphones.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #3,160 of 4,030
I'm still concerned about the Magni 3 based on some of what I've been reading here.

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel

Initially I was going to use only the Fiio A5 with the HE-400i but it's kind of a hassle not leaving it constantly plugged in, its battery is going to degrade anyway, and I wanted to see how a DAC will affect sound so I ordered the basic Schiit stack. But obviously the Magni 3 has some power and I would really like to know if there is any danger for the headphones.

There have been a lot of threads like this on Head-Fi....will the XX amp's output hurt the HEXv2? Will running the XX amp balanced/on high gain hurt the HEXv2? I don't recall there ever being a definitive resolution where someone has said anything more than xx W or anything more than xx dB will ultimately ruin the HEXv2.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #3,162 of 4,030
I'm not familiar with these terms. I read of darkness and warmth and I have no idea what they're referring to. Also, part of the appeal of the Edition X is supposed to be that they sound good across genres. I've read a few posts stating they might not be very good for "edm", which I presume branches out to all sorts of techno and electronic music, which is concerning for me as that is a type of music I enjoy. I'm also curious about the HD800. For what is supposed to be a very popular higher end headphone I get the impression from comments that it has a sound not suitable for a good deal of music, and may be fatiguing as well. How significant is it that it's not planar magnetic either?

Good questions.

EDM. The Edition X is great for EDM. Don't worry about that. As for what genres they're not good with... depends on the amp somewhat.

Darkness/Brightness refer to the amount of treble in the frequency response. Warm/Cold are sometimes used interchangeably but I feel like warmth tends to mean an emphasis on low mids over upper mids as well. I'm a relative newcomer as well though so take that with a grain of salt.

Sound Signature - The Edition X sound is hard to describe because it is different from other headphones that I have heard. That's the trouble. It's not really a matter of frequency response--which seems fairly neutral actually. The perceived warmth comes from a slower decay rate in the mids compared to treble, but that also can be removed or enhanced depending on the speed of the amp so.... I don't know what to say. There are many other things like decay and distortion that contribute to a headphone's sound.

HD800 - I had a chance to hear the HD800 on a couple occasions and they were pretty good. They were brighter but you could always throw them on a tube amp. The soundstage is the main thing I envy about them. On the flipside, I like the mids a little more here. Dynamic vs Planar is not a big deal. High end dynamics always do special things to get more speed than normal, and I think there are merely tradeoffs between the technologies.

The Edition X v2 appeals to me for a few reasons. One, for a higher end headphone (not the highest of course) it's almost uniquely self-sufficient. Even the Fiio A5 should be enough for rewarding use. I was very unwilling to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for dacs and amps to enable extremely expensive headphones as are.

I went for them for that same reason. They don't need large amounts of power, just clean power. However, finding cheap amps that are clean is not as easy as you might think. I ended up getting a $300 desktop DAC shortly after buying my HEX, and I am going to get a very serious amp as well at some point. Though it is acceptable from my XDuoo.

I wouldn't worry about killing them with a magni. HiFiMan lies about the efficiency of all their headphones. According to innerfidelity measurements it actually needs slightly more power than the LCD-X or the Aeons, all of which come with XLR cables and the expectation from their manufacturer that they'd be run from high end desktop setups. I'm curious to know how that combo sounds actually.

Three, I didn't want headphones that would either be painful to listen to or inappropriate for different genres. For all of this money the notion that your headphones would be bothersome or inadequate is borderline absurd. Some of you apparently buy multiple of these for use with different songs but that just doesn't apply to me. I'm just a relatively speaking cheap-ass pleb in pursuit of an end-game that makes enough all-around sense. Did I make the right choice?

The headphone itself has no sibilance or shoutyness. No weird peaks, very flat and well-behaved. If there is anything painful in upstream equipment or in a recording itself though the Edition X will play it, because it is a detailed headphone.

Philosophically, I'm completely on board with you. I'm gonna go ahead and say that the correlation between price and quality is a loose one, sadly. I've heard many headphones up to $1000 that left me wondering if my SHP9500s sounded as good. The good news is... with the right source powering it, the Edition X is in the top 3 of the headphones I've heard.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #3,163 of 4,030
Are there any signs of the headphones being in trouble or does overpowering them just occur and it's too late? Is there a difference between the sound getting temporarily distorted or whatever and the headphones actually being damaged? What exactly happens? It bears repeating, I do enjoy listening to music loudly.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3,164 of 4,030
Don't worry about overpowering them. They're like any other headphone, you'll know when you're feeding them too much power because they'll be louder than you'll be comfortable with. You're in charge of the volume, just don't listen at distortion inducing volumes.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #3,165 of 4,030
Can you explain whether distortion is a one-off occurrence or something that affects the headphones permanently? Dcguy's post even seemed to imply that I guess stress can pile up. Is it conceivable for a person to actually be listening at a level that damages headphones, this one in particular of course? Hypothetically, let's say I'm a bit of a tard and feel I need to turn the knob at least once to a very high level to see how far the sound goes. Can that permanently damage the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back