Hifiman Edition X
Jul 19, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,101 of 4,030
I think the hex with tubes would be great. I keep almost considering this headphone but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's one of the prettiest I've seen for sure (at least in pictures)

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,105 of 4,030
  You consider HEX and Hugo value for money? When there are headphones like the HD650 and even Fostex TH-X00 that can easily match the HEX, if attached to a quality source and amp.

I owned the HD650 for over a year, listened relgiously probably 25 hours a week.  Great headphone.  

I currently own Hifiman HE-560.  

I have a quality source, and an even better amp.  

The 'little brother' HE-560 is significantly better than the HD650.  Actually, I feel the Hifiman 400s is too, if only by a tick.  Matter of preference more than anything, there.  

I have not heard the HEX, but I can only assume it is an upgrade from the HE-560.  

No, the 650 does not 'easily' match the HEX.  

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,106 of 4,030
The HE-560 is inferior to the HD-650 in many ways; its not as resolving and glosses over small shifts in volume changes (e.g. microdynamics). It also has a rougher and less integrated midrange to treble transition. The midrange doesn't have the magic of the HD650 and the tonality leans towards a plastic sound. Imaging and sound stage depth is worse, but it does have a wider soundstage and more extended, cleaner bass, but so do many planars so nothing special there. The HE-560 treble is very irritating to my ears and I have brighter headphones like the HD800, so that says a lot. Overall, a poor successor to the HE-500 which has a lusher, more visceral presentation in lieu of its technical deficiencies.

Next point, you haven't heard the HEX, but declare that it doesn't match the HD-650
rolleyes.gif
. Well, you're right, in my opinion, despite some commendable attributes for the HEX such as a more integrated, smoother treble and better imaging compared to the HE560, the HD650 is the better headphone. More impact and liveliness in the sound, especially in the mid-range which is the heart of music. It has better dynamics overall, both in the micro sense at all times and the macro sense as long as the music doesn't have a lot of sub-bass content. I'm guessing the measured fairly high mid-range distortion of the HEX plays a role in that. HEX has a wider sound stage and more bass extension, whoop-de-doo, still doesn't justify its "value for money" claim at $1799.

I heard both headphones over a Docet Lector Tube CD player (the model name escapes me) connected to the Wells Audio Headtrip for this comparison.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,111 of 4,030
I love my hd650. But I love my HEX more. Like I love my TG334 but I love my UERR more.. It's just a matter of taste. IMHO.
Right, taste - at the very least based on experience and comparisons, when saying you prefer one over the other.

When I first heard the HEX I thought 'wow this is like an upgraded HD650' but for some strange reason I'd be hard pressed to choose one.

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2,112 of 4,030
Why do people state things as fact when they've never even heard the headphone?

It's embarrassing.

You are right.  I should not have done that.  I made the assumption that HEX is better than the HE-560.  Sorry.  

My opinion is unchanged that the HE-560 is better than the HD650.  But I guess brains around here are too small to understand WHY such an assumption could easily be made.  I mean, my goodness, one would hope that a $1800 headphone sounds better than a $900 one.  Tell ya what.  When I have had the chance to hear the HEX, I will come back and let you know if my assumption proves true.  

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,113 of 4,030
  The HE-560 is inferior to the HD-650 in many ways; its not as resolving and glosses over small shifts in volume changes (e.g. microdynamics). It also has a rougher and less integrated midrange to treble transition. The midrange doesn't have the magic of the HD650 and the tonality leans towards a plastic sound. Imaging and sound stage depth is worse, but it does have a wider soundstage and more extended, cleaner bass, but so do many planars so nothing special there. The HE-560 treble is very irritating to my ears and I have brighter headphones like the HD800, so that says a lot. Overall, a poor successor to the HE-500 which has a lusher, more visceral presentation in lieu of its technical deficiencies.

Next point, you haven't heard the HEX, but declare that it doesn't match the HD-650
rolleyes.gif
. Well, you're right, in my opinion, despite some commendable attributes for the HEX such as a more integrated, smoother treble and better imaging compared to the HE560, the HD650 is the better headphone. More impact and liveliness in the sound, especially in the mid-range which is the heart of music. It has better dynamics overall, both in the micro sense at all times and the macro sense as long as the music doesn't have a lot of sub-bass content. I'm guessing the measured fairly high mid-range distortion of the HEX plays a role in that. HEX has a wider sound stage and more bass extension, whoop-de-doo, still doesn't justify its "value for money" claim at $1799.

I heard both headphones over a Docet Lector Tube CD player (the model name escapes me) connected to the Wells Audio Headtrip for this comparison.

Disagree with just about everything you say.  The HD-650 is a very nice headphone.  I would not trade the HE-560 for it, though. 

And I agree that I should not have assumed the HEX is better than the HE-560. 

As far as your 'next point' I can only assume you are trying to play clever language games, either that or you can't read?  

So, again, I acquiesce to those of you I have embarrassed.  I won't ever assume A>B without first hearing A.  But, considering I HAVE heard and lived with both the HD650 and the HE-560 for months, I say with no hesitation at all that the 560 is better than the 650.  

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,115 of 4,030
Dear Friend of the HE-X: I had the X for total of 9 days now. Since I picked up the X in HK on Friday the 15th I have ordered the Woo WA7, yesterday out of the blue I walk by the Sony shop here in Vietnam and I walked out with the PHA-3 just to go with the X. I just wanted to try different dacs and amps with the HEX. With the X a audio rookie like me have reached Summit Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back