Hifiman Edition X
Apr 13, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,906 of 4,030
Hey! Glad I could help. I love my HEX as well. One of my favorite purchase. Enjoy!

Got a new E11K for $50 shipped 
biggrin.gif
 Headfonia said it was a good combo with the HE-560, so it should be fine with the HE-X.... Also helps that I had exactly $50 in my paypal haha

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #1,907 of 4,030
Got a new E11K for $50 shipped :D  Headfonia said it was a good combo with the HE-560, so it should be fine with the HE-X.... Also helps that I had exactly $50 in my paypal haha
You gotta be kidding me:)... High End headphones with low end amp... Dont believe anything they say. Bad reviewers in my opinion. Tylls, Shabta or Sorrodje reviews are much better than Lieven biased reviews. Should i remember you that Mike said HD700 was better than HD800 and T1... What a joke.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #1,908 of 4,030
You gotta be kidding me:)... High End headphones with low end amp... Dont believe anything they say. Bad reviewers in my opinion. Tylls, Shabta or Sorrodje reviews are much better than Lieven biased reviews. Should i remember you that Mike said HD700 was better than HD800 and T1... What a joke.

I agree... Headfonia'a reviews are a joke. They are no different than my thoughts about headphones. I mean I know what I like, but I work in finance, I'm not a pro reviewer. I like Tyll's and Srajan Ebaen's reviews most. They are very professional. I think he should get Chord Mojo.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,909 of 4,030
I agree... Headfonia'a reviews are a joke. They are no different than my thoughts about headphones. I mean I know what I like, but I work in finance, I'm not a pro reviewer. I like Tyll's and Srajan Ebaen's reviews most. They are very professional. I think he should get Chord Mojo.

We'd all love a Chord Mojo, but he said he only had $50! Dude has got to start somewhere. I own the HEX and the HD800 but I'll admit my first headphone was Beats!

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,910 of 4,030
We'd all love a Chord Mojo, but he said he only had $50! Dude has got to start somewhere. I own the HEX and the HD800 but I'll admit my first headphone was Beats!

Some people don't seem to know what a budget is around here

I had a Lyr but had to sell it to buy the cans themselves; sure the Mojo might be a great amp but I'm not concerned about the E11K

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,911 of 4,030
Some people don't seem to know what a budget is around here

I had a Lyr but had to sell it to buy the cans themselves; sure the Mojo might be a great amp but I'm not concerned about the E11K

I know what it is, it just didn't occur to me that someone with a limited budget would buy HEX. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,913 of 4,030
I know what it is, it just didn't occur to me that someone with a limited budget would buy HEX. 

I guess you guys didn't see my earlier post, I have $50 left which is why I got the E11K, but I only got it to hold me over until I can afford something like a Mojo

sorry if that was confusing! :p

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,916 of 4,030
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering getting the Edition X. I already have the HD-800, but was looking for a more fun/warm sounding headphone with a little more bass. Here is the issue I have though. Apart of me feels iffy spending 1.7k on a headphone that people say feels kind of cheap in terms of the building material and as someone that owns an HD800, the 800 also looks better buil and I paid $400 less. Then I look at the HE1000 and that looks like a truly premium headphone. Which makes sense given its 2.9k. I actually can afford the HE 1000, and almost bought it. But I then stopped myself because the leap from 1.7k to 2.9k seems like a large one. And what I've read about the Edition X in terms of the sound, it is right up my ally. So I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think I can make that jump to the HE 1000, but im also worried that if I'm making an investment this pricey, maybe I should just get the 1000 that has a really nice build quality.

Those of you that own the Edition X, are they really that cheap? Are they cheaper then the HD-800 build? I guess one of the appeals of the X is that it's light. I was considering getting an LCD-2 again because i loved the bass slam, and missed it with the HD-800. But the LCD-2 was too heavy for me. So I suppose a benefit of the X building material is that it's truly light and comfy.

I just fee like the Edition X is a sweet spot given the price and the sound sig. That it would be a good change from my HD-800. But not 100% on the build quality.

I have a Chord Mojo, Lyr 2 and Bifrost multidac for my source.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,917 of 4,030
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering getting the Edition X. I already have the HD-800, but was looking for a more fun/warm sounding headphone with a little more bass. Here is the issue I have though. Apart of me feels iffy spending 1.7k on a headphone that people say feels kind of cheap in terms of the building material and as someone that owns an HD800, the 800 also looks better buil and I paid $400 less. Then I look at the HE1000 and that looks like a truly premium headphone. Which makes sense given its 2.9k. I actually can afford the HE 1000, and almost bought it. But I then stopped myself because the leap from 1.7k to 2.9k seems like a large one. And what I've read about the Edition X in terms of the sound, it is right up my ally. So I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think I can make that jump to the HE 1000, but im also worried that if I'm making an investment this pricey, maybe I should just get the 1000 that has a really nice build quality.

Those of you that own the Edition X, are they really that cheap? Are they cheaper then the HD-800 build? I guess one of the appeals of the X is that it's light. I was considering getting an LCD-2 again because i loved the bass slam, and missed it with the HD-800. But the LCD-2 was too heavy for me. So I suppose a benefit of the X building material is that it's truly light and comfy.

I just fee like the Edition X is a sweet spot given the price and the sound sig. That it would be a good change from my HD-800. But not 100% on the build quality.

I have a Chord Mojo, Lyr 2 and Bifrost multidac for my source.

While the Edition X is made of plastic, it doesn't feel completely cheap to me. The plastic parts contribute to the light weight, and I regard it as the most comfortable high end headphone you can purchase. The HIFIMAN HE-1000 looks great and I have one. However, the build quality on the HE-1000 is far worse. What I mean is that although they use high quality materials, close inspection reveals lots of imperfections on the metal work. It is not blatantly obvious but is definitely there. The way it is put together leaves much to be desired on the HE-1000. I understand that this is mainly due to the difficulty of working with those parts. I also prefer the sound signature of the HE-X, as though they are not as dynamic or technical, there is no peak at 4-5kHz that results in some sibilance and harshness. The Edition X is by far the smoothest high end headphone there is. Since plastic is easy to work with, I find the overall finish of the X to be better than the K.
I would not go for the HE-1000 unless you're willing to spend at least $3-4k on a setup that will let it shine. The setup you currently have is decent, but you will definitely not see the HE-1000's true potential. The HE-X works wonders with the Mojo, and I find that spending more doesn't give you better performance with the X. HIFIMAN have said that too much power will actually distort the headphones.

To be honest, the Audeze headphones will have better bass than the HE-X but the X is certainly no slouch. The size of the magnets which Audeze uses makes it near impossible to match their bass. You do make a compromise with comfort, and that is something you will need to decide on yourself. I got the Edition X for $1500, and the HE-1000 is definitely not worth double that, at least for me.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #1,918 of 4,030
Thanks for the in depth reply. I'm really leaning towards the Edition X. I actually like the way it looks more than the HE-1000, I was just talking about the actual parts they use. Interesting about the actual build quality. Just found some other impressions that also say that while the 1000 uses high quality material, it can have some build quality issues. Then again, I guess Hifiman has QC issues.

While I do miss the bass slam on the LCD-2, I don't need to get that exact sound. I just want a little more bass than my HD-800s. Also I'm a big fan of warm sound sigs, and everything about this headphone seems appealing. Especially the airy/smooth sound.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet. I can't see myself justifying 2.9k regardless if I can afford it. Was just a bit iffy on this being 1.7k and people saying it feels cheap (I'm just going off impressions I've read and just looking at the pics. Although I admit pics can be deceiving).

I guess what really matters is the sound. I just wonder how I'll feel when I paid $1,300 for the HD-800, and paid $400 more for the X and if they actually feel cheaper than the 800. But if they are really comfy and the sound is amazing, I guess that is what truly matters.

I would be open to trying other headphones. I'm just looking for a warm sound sig with good bass. Trying to find a companion headphone to my HD-800s that aren't the same sound sig. The edition X just sounded exactly what I was looking for. Was just sort of hesitant on the build quality. I liked the LCD-2s, but due to being a small woman -- the weight and design of the Audeze really hurt me. So that's why I'm trying to go in a different direction this time.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #1,919 of 4,030

Well I disagree ... while I liked a lot what I heard I feel price point is not at the right level. IMO they should not be higher than the best dyamic available in the market : HD800
Don't know if EDX is selling at the level expected by Hifiman when launched and if it does then price point is right (or expectations not high enough). but at USD1200 I guess they would sell like hell. At least I would have one already but here in EU they cost 1800€ = USD2000 while HD650 cost 300€ (6x more!!)

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #1,920 of 4,030
Well I disagree ... while I liked a lot what I heard I feel price point is not at the right level. IMO they should not be higher than the best dyamic available in the market : HD800
Don't know if EDX is selling at the level expected by Hifiman when launched and if it does then price point is right (or expectations not high enough). but at USD1200 I guess they would sell like hell. At least I would have one already but here in EU they cost 1800€ = USD2000 while HD650 cost 300€ (6x more!!)

I got mine for $1500 which is alright. Now, however, I could get one for less than $1200 from China. I got my HE-1000 for $2100 brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back