Hifiman Edition X v2 or LCD-X ?
Apr 30, 2018 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hi
i am looking for neutrality with a bit of warmth with excellent SS and imaging
they have the same price kinda

my big concern of these 2 is the treble region being recessed, so i am looking for the least recessed one in that region.

May 3, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 11
anyone ?

May 3, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 11
I can share my experience with these 2 headphones but ultimately I would suggest you give each of them a listen before purchasing, if that's possible of course.

First off, build. The LCD-X feels very solid and is very well built, but it's massive. It's weight will have a negative impact on long term comfort. I've had issues with my ears touching the fazor elements too. The Edition X V2 on the other hand feels flimsy and fragile, build quality is frankly not the greatest. However it is very very comfortable due to the suspension headband and lighter weight.

Sound wise I found them both very enjoyable. I didn't have any issues with the treble region being too recessed but I'd say the Edition X V2 is the more balanced of the two. I found the LCD-X to be a bit too bass heavy, even feeling muddy at times. The Hifiman had a more airy sound, felt wider than the LCD-X, but still had good bass. I was impressed with the detail retreival on both these cans.

Hope this helps :wink:

May 3, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 11
I can share my experience with these 2 headphones but ultimately I would suggest you give each of them a listen before purchasing, if that's possible of course.

First off, build. The LCD-X feels very solid and is very well built, but it's massive. It's weight will have a negative impact on long term comfort. I've had issues with my ears touching the fazor elements too. The Edition X V2 on the other hand feels flimsy and fragile, build quality is frankly not the greatest. However it is very very comfortable due to the suspension headband and lighter weight.

Sound wise I found them both very enjoyable. I didn't have any issues with the treble region being too recessed but I'd say the Edition X V2 is the more balanced of the two. I found the LCD-X to be a bit too bass heavy, even feeling muddy at times. The Hifiman had a more airy sound, felt wider than the LCD-X, but still had good bass. I was impressed with the detail retreival on both these cans.

Hope this helps :wink:

that was very helpful.
Thank you for sharing your experience I really appreciate it <3

May 4, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 11
I am thinking about headphones again. And have the same options.

Had LCDX borrowed on one month a few years back. And I borrowed them again on weekend last month. Build is nice and quality. Feels comfy becouse of great leather pads, I do not have problem with their weights but it is definitely weak point. As for sound from my experience depends on system it can sound really revealing (you hear most from recording) with still Audeze pleasant house sound and it can sound warmer, it is actually nice about them becouse it depends on your system which you will choose for them. I found for example Mytek Brooklyn/(even iPhone) better tonally for my taste (still not ideal) than A&K Ultima which was warmer slower with them but still great of course in different way. In my opinion LCDX MCS version is one of the finest headphone you can buy today and it is really easy drive.

HEXv2 I heard only on meets. Build do not look as quality and many people saying this. But I like thier design, it is light, maybe I would like to headband with holes but I love thier hybrid pads it is so comfy. And sound unfortunatelly I can not say nothing becouse in meet condition on unknown system songs it is not go. I want borrow them at home but in my country it is quite problem unfortunately. Anyway becouse of weight I think HEXv2 can be better option than LCDX.
I think interesting could be also HE4XX for price.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 11
I am thinking about headphones again. And have the same options.

Had LCDX borrowed on one month a few years back. And I borrowed them again on weekend last month. Build is nice and quality. Feels comfy becouse of great leather pads, I do not have problem with their weights but it is definitely weak point. As for sound from my experience depends on system it can sound really revealing (you hear most from recording) with still Audeze pleasant house sound and it can sound warmer, it is actually nice about them becouse it depends on your system which you will choose for them. I found for example Mytek Brooklyn/(even iPhone) better tonally for my taste (still not ideal) than A&K Ultima which was warmer slower with them but still great of course in different way. In my opinion LCDX MCS version is one of the finest headphone you can buy today and it is really easy drive.

HEXv2 I heard only on meets. Build do not look as quality and many people saying this. But I like thier design, it is light, maybe I would like to headband with holes but I love thier hybrid pads it is so comfy. And sound unfortunatelly I can not say nothing becouse in meet condition on unknown system songs it is not go. I want borrow them at home but in my country it is quite problem unfortunately. Anyway becouse of weight I think HEXv2 can be better option than LCDX.
I think interesting could be also HE4XX for price.

My amp is the fiio A5,
no i can't think of the HE4XX as i already have the M1060 ("de-damping" mod) and i am looking for an upgrade < i still love the M1060 tho.

May 5, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Audeze LCD-X sounds bright to me. It's not that it has a really powerful treble response, I suppose it's a more relative brightness compared to something else in its frequency response which I never actually identified. I haven't heard the HEX v2 sadly. I'd try to audition both if possible.

I do think you can do significantly better for the price, especially since you specified neutrality with a bit of warmth and emphasis on sound stage and imaging. The Stax SR-007A is what I'm referring to, being an elite electrostatic headphone with exceptional build quality (unlike plenty of headphones twice the price even, Stax is one of few who knows what they're doing on every level) it is above most headphones twice the price technically, and has perfect comfort and build quality (auto-adjusting suspension headband, all metal and leather with thick full sized pads). You'd need a new amp of course, so if you aren't willing to drop $600+ (minimum) on an amp I'd understand.

May 8, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Audeze LCD-X sounds bright to me. It's not that it has a really powerful treble response, I suppose it's a more relative brightness compared to something else in its frequency response which I never actually identified. I haven't heard the HEX v2 sadly. I'd try to audition both if possible.

I do think you can do significantly better for the price, especially since you specified neutrality with a bit of warmth and emphasis on sound stage and imaging. The Stax SR-007A is what I'm referring to, being an elite electrostatic headphone with exceptional build quality (unlike plenty of headphones twice the price even, Stax is one of few who knows what they're doing on every level) it is above most headphones twice the price technically, and has perfect comfort and build quality (auto-adjusting suspension headband, all metal and leather with thick full sized pads). You'd need a new amp of course, so if you aren't willing to drop $600+ (minimum) on an amp I'd understand.

Glad to hear the lcd-x has some brightness, thank you <3

about the stax, i really ****ing love to get one of those, but unfortunately i need something home portable with my fiio A5

May 9, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 11
My advice is: don't skimp on the amp. The A5 is a nice device, don't get me wrong, but if you are looking to invest in TOTL headphones, you should pair them with something that will keep up with them. A lot of those subtler qualities that headphones have like greater resolution, wide soundstage, holographic imaging, bass control, impact, texture, etc., etc. won't come through on just any amp. Just my 2 cents. The LCD-X scales wonderfully and will reward the upgrade.

May 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 11
My advice is: don't skimp on the amp. The A5 is a nice device, don't get me wrong, but if you are looking to invest in TOTL headphones, you should pair them with something that will keep up with them. A lot of those subtler qualities that headphones have like greater resolution, wide soundstage, holographic imaging, bass control, impact, texture, etc., etc. won't come through on just any amp. Just my 2 cents. The LCD-X scales wonderfully and will reward the upgrade.

you're right, but i am on a limited budget so i want to invest all of it in the transducer :)

May 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 11
you're right, but i am on a limited budget so i want to invest all of it in the transducer :)

That's fair. If you're planning on upgrading your amp in the future, it's a good plan. If you're not planning on upgrading your amp after buying an LCD-X, I would suggest buying an LCD-2 and a better amp. You would get better sound quality overall with the combo. Running each SE out of a iFi Black Label it's hard to tell the difference between the 2 and the X without A/Bing. The difference really emerges with better equipment upstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back