Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Aug 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #241 of 485

This is a really early work in progress, but I wanted to showoff the wood cups idea I was talking about a couple of pages back. These are made from Redwood that I was able to reclaim from my parents house after some repairs. I have never worked with wood before so this has been and is a bit of a learning process. I plan to remake these, once this set is done and proven true, in a few different woods. As soon as I finish sanding the inside, and I get some sheet metal to stick on a small portion of the inside for the magnet, I will give'em a listen. I'm pretty excited about the entire process!  

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #243 of 485
Thanks! I'm really hoping HiFiMAN starts making custom, interchangeable, and differing material backs to change the look and sonics of this headphone. They could call them MyFiMANs...

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #245 of 485
Hey, I have a question for you all.

Is anyone here ( @Maxx included) able to measure the Edition S? Many people are complaining about the wonky signature, but I'd like to see whether it can be improved with some EQ - the detail is there, the soundstage is there, and with some adjustments it can possibly be a very scary headphone. Is anyone here able to help?

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #246 of 485
Got mine today, really good stuff, don't miss the L2s not even a tiny little bit. The sound is alive, detailed, energetic. Mostly heard with the caps removed. One thing to say that can sound great through a phone but through the Pure II+ any sign of harshness all but goes away and the bass is definitely better defined so though they do not require amplification they do sound better with it.

I was quite hesitant initially having heard the 400S from HifiMan and not particularly caring for it I was worried it might sound like it. Kept reading about the detailed airy sound so I thought I'd give them a go, especially after listening to them at the CanJam and I am glad I did.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #250 of 485
  Anyone recommends any reasonable priced cable to replace the stock one? Don't much care for it - not sound wise just built is very thin and flimsy looking. ​

I dropped 50 for the Audioquest Golden Gate and I noticed a huge difference. It's kind of a stiff awkward cable but it sounds amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back