HiFiMan Arya Reviews
Jun 17, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 21
Here is the only review I found that includes some frequency response graphs. The graphs match up exactly with what I've experienced with my Aryas - neutral and accurate from the very lowest lows to well beyond the highest highs that I can hear - I'm 57, and everything above about 11 KHz is lost on me. There is a slight, gentle dip in the presence range, around 2 KHz. This keeps vocals and some acoustic instruments from being as forward as on some HiFiMan headphones. Frankly, I like it. I had the Anandas, and returned them for the Aryas because the mids were so forward that some recordings, such as classic rock and pop, sounded thin to the point of discomfort.

I haven't found anything that doesn't sound good on the Aryas, and I listen to almost everything - except today's computer generated garbage, which I don't consider to be music in the first place. The bass goes down well beyond the range of human hearing, but it is not accentuated, and harmonics are not created to make the bass more full, as with many dynamic and closed headphones. It's accurate, tight, and flat, and will give you chills at times - but it's nothing more, and not something most bass-heads will like.

Here are some more measurements taken by a Reddit poster. The author notes that the peak at 4.5 KHz is false, as it appears on virtually everything he tests on his rig.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a6j53h/hifiman_arya_early_review_and_measurements/

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 21
Here is the only review I found that includes some frequency response graphs. The graphs match up exactly with what I've experienced with my Aryas - neutral and accurate from the very lowest lows to well beyond the highest highs that I can hear - I'm 57, and everything above about 11 KHz is lost on me. There is a slight, gentle dip in the presence range, around 2 KHz. This keeps vocals and some acoustic instruments from being as forward as on some HiFiMan headphones. Frankly, I like it. I had the Anandas, and returned them for the Aryas because the mids were so forward that some recordings, such as classic rock and pop, sounded thin to the point of discomfort.

I haven't found anything that doesn't sound good on the Aryas, and I listen to almost everything - except today's computer generated garbage, which I don't consider to be music in the first place. The bass goes down well beyond the range of human hearing, but it is not accentuated, and harmonics are not created to make the bass more full, as with many dynamic and closed headphones. It's accurate, tight, and flat, and will give you chills at times - but it's nothing more, and not something most bass-heads will like.

Here are some more measurements taken by a Reddit poster. The author notes that the peak at 4.5 KHz is false, as it appears on virtually everything he tests on his rig.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a6j53h/hifiman_arya_early_review_and_measurements/

This was exactly what I was looking for!

I am torn between the Arya and Ananda but I only have written reviews to go by, since I have unfortunately never have received the opportunity to listen to either of them.

I was originally going to purchase the Ananda but after reading the reviews on the Arya, almost all sources have pointed to the Arya being superior over the Anandas.

I am looking for headphones that will leave me satisfied for a long time and hopefully be an end game headphone. So my question is are the Arya's worth paying the extra money compared to the Anandas?

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 21
Glad to help!

I had a discussion with Mark at HiFiMan. He all but admitted that the Arya uses the same planar drivers as the HE1000-V2. He worded his statement carefully, but it was clear what he was trying to convey. A little research on my part has found that the drivers for the HE1000, the HE1000-V2, the HE1000-SE, and the Arya are all the same size. I suspect they all use the exact same driver, only tuned slightly differently for each model. Mark went on to say that, unless I'm going to upgrade all the way up to the $3,500 HE1000-SE, I'd be wasting my money. That's quite an endorsement of the Arya.

Like I said earlier, I originally bought the Ananda and returned them for the Arya. The Ananda appears to use the same drivers as the Edition X, and are smaller than the ones in the Arya - this explains the Arya's better bass. I found the Anandas to have a harsh upper peak that made classic rock recordings sound harsh. If you can get past the $1,600 price tag, I think the Aryas are as good as you'll find this side of $3,500 or so. You can get 10% off on them at Audio46, but their return policy is downright draconian. I bought a pair of Beyers from them, and had to fight to return them - return two items, and they'll basically cut you off. Jim at HiFi Heaven is great to work with. Buy from him, and he'll work with you if you don't like what you get.

I vote "yes" - in my opinion, the difference in price between the Ananda and Arya is worth it. You're basically getting their $2,700 HE1000-V2, minus the fancy wood and stainless trim for $1,600. The Arya is an end game headphone. The Ananda is not. I'm just a regular working person. It took me a year to save up for the Aryas, with a couple of trade-ups along the way, and I do not regret the purchase.

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 21
I will definitely follow in your footsteps.

I was originally looking for the HE1000-V2 Headphones and if they are the same drivers for a thousand dollars less... I have come to my conclusion!

The next step would be finding a AMP and DAC that compliment these headphones!

And down the rabbit hole I go once again hahaha

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 21
Go down the rabbit hole, and you'll probably run into me. People who know me say I live there. I'll be interested to hear what DAC/Amp you choose. I have a JDS Element, which has a nice, neutral sound, very low output impedance, and a reasonable price tag. And the owner of JDS - John Seaber - is a straight shooting, no nonsense, customer oriented guy, and a true pleasure to deal with. But, I have the itch for something a step up in DAC/Amps, but can't decide what that would be. The Element doesn't have a digital volume control, and the DAC is nothing special. I'll be the first to admit, though, that I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference in the Element and any $1,000 amp out there. There is a lot of snake oil in that segment of the hifi world.

And for the record, I would love to have the HE1000-V2. All that stainless and wood is just beautiful. You might even find a used pair for sale, right here on Head-Fi.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 21
Go down the rabbit hole, and you'll probably run into me. People who know me say I live there.

Hahaha this is one of the best things I heard in a long time, and some may even say that you are the rabbit... :laughing:

You know you are going down a dark and deep rabbit hole when your questions that are answered just leave you with more questions than you originally had... :cold_sweat:

I will look into your suggestions and give you an update when I decide what AMP/DAC I end up settling on!

Thanks for all your help again!

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 21
Will do! I am currently searching the forum to find a pair of Hifiman Arya for sale and afterwards I will be searching for an AMP and DAC.

I have been a long time lurker of this forum but never made an official account until recently so I can't post in the WTB or WTS headphone forum just yet...

But I am glad that I finally decided to join, you have been of great assistance and all the feedback I have received so far has been nothing but helpful, encouraging, and friendly!

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I also just bought a set of Aryas and I'm looking for an amp to pair with them. Any particular suggestions from your research? I'm looking for a warmer tubier sound to match with the Arya which is said to be a bit lean, but most tube amps apparently don't play ideally with planars, which leads me to hybrids. Trying to decide if something like a Lyr 3 would drive it well or if it's worth it to get up into the $1000+ range with something like a Pathos Aurium...

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 21
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I also just bought a set of Aryas and I'm looking for an amp to pair with them. Any particular suggestions from your research? I'm looking for a warmer tubier sound to match with the Arya which is said to be a bit lean, but most tube amps apparently don't play ideally with planars, which leads me to hybrids. Trying to decide if something like a Lyr 3 would drive it well or if it's worth it to get up into the $1000+ range with something like a Pathos Aurium...

The specs for the Arya shows from their website:
  • Impedance: 41Ω
  • Sensitivity: 91.2dB
These numbers shows they are close to the recent Hifiman specs (HE-400i, Sundara, etc.) - which would mean they can be powered by even budget amps such as Magni 3, Liquid Spark, and the famous JDS Labs Atom.

Personally, I think the Atom would be enough to provide them with ample power as measurements shows it provides the least distortion and among the highest current feed among the budget categories, which would be plenty for the Arya.

I'm not experienced with tubes, so I cannot add to that other than what I've read that certain tube amps add some colouration to the sound - could be something that makes the Arya sound even better depending on your taste, but those colouration vary and the Arya's may sound slightly different on a tube amp by tube amp basis.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 21
Yeah I’ve read a lot of conflicting opinions on this. Of course on a technical level they can be powered by something budget, but as to what level of amp is required to bring out the best in them, I’m still not sure.

In any case I went ahead and ordered the Lyr 3, will report back with impressions!

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 21
Yeah I’ve read a lot of conflicting opinions on this. Of course on a technical level they can be powered by something budget, but as to what level of amp is required to bring out the best in them, I’m still not sure.

In any case I went ahead and ordered the Lyr 3, will report back with impressions!

Look forward to your impressions!

May I ask what source will you be feeding the amp from? What DAC / DAP would you be using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back