HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,016 of 11,884
Hey all. Been looking into a 3rd headphone and recently read up about these.

To be brief, I have the Fostex TH-909 for exciting, bassy music (electronic/metal) and the Sony MDR-Z1R for a warm, smooth listening experience (movies, games, general music).

The 3rd headphone would be best suited for classical / live music, so something analytical with a large soundstage is something I've been looking into.

Thought about going back to the TH900, but it was a bit too V-shaped, despite its large soundstage for a closed back. The Sennheiser HD800 was too bass light and HD800S had this weird veil that I could not like.

Reading reviews about these seemed to be a proper sounding HD800(S). Am I on the right track? It's been awhile since I've owned a planar. Been dabbling in dynamics for the past year or 2.

Will be driving these with the new DX300, so I might need to buy a 4.4mm cable as well. I've read they can be driven with the DX200 AMP8 on high gain, so I should be fine there.

Sold all my headphones after buying the Arya. That includes my Fostex TH-900. Just a tad amount of EQ and the bass for an open planar is absolutely dumb. I had a Sennheiser HD600. I found the HD600 had better midrange while the Fostex had the low end. Arya equals the low end (cleaner IMO) absolutely smokes the mids of the HD600 and the highs are excellent.

There's a reason you rarely see these for sale and when they are they sell quickly. :L3000:

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #3,019 of 11,884
Will the Schiit Loki work good to give these a 1-2db bump in the low end?

Probably. Friend of mine down the road bought a Loki and stopped using the software EQ I was using. He said he enjoys it. I'll have to give them a try personally to give my opinion. Personally the Loki won't give the fine control you can get with PeaceAPO. He only did it because he uses more sources than the PC whereas I solely use the PC.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #3,020 of 11,884
My review of the Hifiman Susvaras:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-susvara.22588/reviews#item-review-25200

Give it a read if you get a chance.

1.jpg

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #3,021 of 11,884
Will the Schiit Loki work good to give these a 1-2db bump in the low end?
Schiit Loki will work excellently for the Arya.
Way better than any Software EQ I know of.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #3,023 of 11,884
Schiit Loki will work excellently for the Arya.
Way better than any Software EQ I know of.

How do you figure? It doesn't have as much fine control as Peace.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #3,024 of 11,884
How do you figure? It doesn't have as much fine control as Peace.
Well I have the Loki in active use.
For me Software EQ always came with an overall sound degradation, while the Loki did not.

Of course I do not claim to know about every Software EQ, the Loki was better than any I experienced though. Another bonus for me was, that the Loki also works for Playstation etc. for all those occasions where you can't use Software at all.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #3,026 of 11,884
Got these today and been listening to them. They're surprisingly easy to drive. The DX200 AMP8 only needs 100/150 volume on high gain. Luckily my Z1R stock 4.4mm cable works with these.

At first, I wasn't too impressed because I was expecting a hyper analytical and bright, distant sound like the HD800, but when I really started to pay attention to the overall sound, I realized these are amazingly beautiful.

It's much more natural sounding, the bass is amazingly robust, vocals are clear without sounding thin, and orchestral pieces feel more coherent as a whole. Everything feels more emotional.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #3,028 of 11,884
what do you think about the combination of FA-10 PRO Class-A Headphone Amplifier and MUSICIAN PEGASUS 32Bit / 1536kHz 24Bit R2R DAC

I was impressed with the Musician Pegasus, but its output impedance (1250ohm balanced) was too high, like all denafrips dacs, for my Topping A90 (2000ohm), resulting in a 5db lower volume than my D90 Dac. For best results, I was told that the input impedance needs to be 10x higher than the output independence of the source.

I felt it was genuinely amazing, but a little light on bass. So you will probably get a more neutral sound with your FA-10 (dont own it, but it the FA-10 is known to be warmer in sound signature).

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #3,029 of 11,884
I was impressed with the Musician Pegasus, but its output impedance (1250ohm balanced) was too high, like all denafrips dacs, for my Topping A90 (2000ohm), resulting in a 5db lower volume than my D90 Dac. For best results, I was told that the input impedance needs to be 10x higher than the output independence of the source.

I felt it was genuinely amazing, but a little light on bass. So you will probably get a more neutral sound with your FA-10 (dont own it, but it the FA-10 is known to be warmer in sound signature).

i have heard this for dac. In all likelihood I will choose Meze Empyrean over Arya I think it will be a better combination with Pegasus and FA-10.
Was Pegasus better deal than Topping D90 when you compare them

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,030 of 11,884
Absolutely loving this! As a bass head Arya has converted me to planar. They may not have the dynamic slam I got from iems but the way the bass perfectly layers with the rest of the frequency is excellent and has a really nice quality to it.

I don't hear them as artificially wide but nice and evenly spread out with images the seem to reach way over your head

Attachments

• 20210129_123843.jpg
    20210129_123843.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back