HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #10,847 of 11,880
Fun Fact: How many equalizers were on display at Canjam?

Zero. :)

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #10,848 of 11,880
I find adding EQ is unreliable and does alter the inherit characteristics of whatever you might adjust, kinda like that YouTube woman from Australia who shows you how to rescue a cake you dropped on the way to a wedding. I don't find anything wrong trying but not sure that it's too effective. Chasing perfection may be amusing and a worthwhile endeavor but in the end rather frustrating.
It may be a better solution to have several HP IEM options with different characteristics to listen to different genres.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #10,849 of 11,880
I find adding EQ is unreliable and does alter the inherit characteristics of whatever you might adjust, kinda like that YouTube woman from Australia who shows you how to rescue a cake you dropped on the way to a wedding. I don't find anything wrong trying but not sure that it's too effective. Chasing perfection may be amusing and a worthwhile endeavor but in the end rather frustrating.
It may be a better solution to have several HP IEM options with different characteristics to listen to different genres.
Yes… I agree… also many headphones have got quite good linearity already. There are many rooms that wished to have the neutrality that some headphones can offer.

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #10,850 of 11,880
EQ can be super effective if used in moderation IME. Tame this peak here, raise that dip there kind of thing. But trying to brute force a target curve like Harman into a pair of headphones almost always ends up sounding worse in my humble experience. The Harman target EQ presets that are available today from the usual suspects, to me, sound dreadful mostly. Oratorys in particular. I just wanna smack the headphones off my head anytime I've tried any of his presets.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #10,851 of 11,880
I'm an old school Arya v1 owner and can honestly say that if there are any of us left...

GET THE DEKONI PADS!!!

A noticeable improvement for the better both sound-wise and comfort-wise. :wink:

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #10,852 of 11,880
I'm an old school Arya v1 owner and can honestly say that if there are any of us left...

GET THE DEKONI PADS!!!

A noticeable improvement for the better both sound-wise and comfort-wise. :wink:
I've got a v2 and I changed to elite hybrid. Much better all around especially for comfort. Sound though I don't notice too much of a difference between stock and elite hybrid pads. The stock pads would make an awful squeak noise as my glasses rubbed against them. If I could I'd buy another pair but they're just too expensive for pads.

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #10,853 of 11,880

GET THE DEKONI PADS!!!

I've got a v2 and I changed to elite hybrid. Much better all around especially for comfort. Sound though I don't notice too much of a difference between stock and elite hybrid pads. The stock pads would make an awful squeak noise as my glasses rubbed against them. If I could I'd buy another pair but they're just too expensive for pads.

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #10,854 of 11,880
Seemed to tame the 8K peak the V1s were infamous for -- at least a bit. YMMV as is always the case. Bought them because the original pads started to come apart at the stitch seams.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #10,855 of 11,880
Oops sorry for double post. Accident! I'm on mobile

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #10,856 of 11,880
I use HT for both HD800s and Arya v2 and I don't think any of the magic goes away at all or diminished fidelity and sound stage, IMO.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #10,857 of 11,880
On a slightly different note...

I'm looking for suggestions on a HP stand for the Aryas. Something that hangs them, so the ear pads are not compressed and tall enough to allow clearance for the cable / cup connectors. Tall enough to be able to hang from the metal band as opposed to the strap is preferred. Thanks in advance.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #10,858 of 11,880
If there happens to be a tradition of being the first to link a new review:

Another bit of ear candy for imaging and soundstage depth is the drum track here:

Through my EQed Arya Stealth, I first noticed there seeming to be more perceived height variations in the drum strikes, but when I switched to the EQed Meze Elite found such translated into my first real encounter with "soundstage depth": the drum strikes properly sounded like they were positioned along perspective lines projected from a central point in the distance, extending eventually to the front of the ear cups. The recording had excellent forward imaging without the help of crossfeed beyond what may already be in the recording. The same effect was then perceived through the Arya Stealth and Jabra Elite 85h, though the latter's smaller pads perhaps obstructed the illusion of the room ambience/reverb also coming from behind the ears and whatnot. In that regard, I would call the recording "holographic". Strikes felt similarly sharply imaged between the headphones. There with the lack of in-ear mics are still inherent subtle differences between each of my neutral EQs, so there is still some preferring to be had; in this case, maybe because I listen through the Meze Elite more, returning to its EQ can feel like returning home. Turning off my EQ profiles (on Equalizer APO, I have it configured to keep the EQed and unEQed settings roughly volume matched), there was no noticeable change in the imaging, only in the timbre. And for the Arya, well, when turning off the EQ, "the musicality and engagement collapses"... All relative from being used to neutral presentation and one's own live music experience, my knowing that for my own ears, clarity was lost, and prominent treble peaks returned as noticeable and unacceptable background hiss. We shall not state relative opinions as facts. It is easier to try a new thing the "proper" way than to take away an EQer's most valuable asset for correcting FR imperfections that could be perceived through even the most expensive of headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back