HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 2, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #9,766 of 11,883
Hey fellow headfiers who've owned the Arya stealth and non-stealth versions, could you tell me if the soundstage on the non-stealth is much wider than the stealth? I recently picked up a pair of HD800s and I absolutely love the wide soundstage. I haven't listened to the Arya Stealth much since I got the Senns, everytime I put them on I find the soundstage on the Aryas to be just tall but not very wide. I want something to accompany the HD800s for certain genres that require a bit more punch, but I still want the wide soundstage. Would the Arya V2s be what I am looking for?
I find my arya stealths to be a ball of sound, tall wide and deep. But I really think a lot has to do with your chain.

May 2, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #9,767 of 11,883
Having had Arya Stealth for a month, I am really liking it. It's amazing with ambient, dark ambient, classical, jazz, electronic music. However... I find it too harsh with rock/metal. It's just too bright. I have EQ'd troubled regions of 3k-5k, 8k and 12k, but it still is somewhat unbearable. I am running it on EF400>Burson Soloist 3xp. Any ideas on making Aryas bearable, or do I need new headphones for rock/metal?? How do you guys find Aryas for these styles of music?

May 2, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #9,769 of 11,883
Having had Arya Stealth for a month, I am really liking it. It's amazing with ambient, dark ambient, classical, jazz, electronic music. However... I find it too harsh with rock/metal. It's just too bright. I have EQ'd troubled regions of 3k-5k, 8k and 12k, but it still is somewhat unbearable. I am running it on EF400>Burson Soloist 3xp. Any ideas on making Aryas bearable, or do I need new headphones for rock/metal?? How do you guys find Aryas for these styles of music?
Have you tried the Arya direct with the EF400? All rock/metal? any standout track that you find unbearable, curious.

A lot of metal is really badly engineered/mastered too, and unfortunately all our revealing gear makes it very apparent!

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #9,770 of 11,883
Have you tried the Arya direct with the EF400? All rock/metal? any standout track that you find unbearable, curious.

A lot of metal is really badly engineered/mastered too, and unfortunately all our revealing gear makes it very apparent!

Off the top of my head - Iron Maiden song 'Moonchild', David Bowie 'Earthling' (whole album), Whitesnake 1987, Killing Joke 'Money Is Not Our God', almost every Rush album, most of Devin Townsend etc.

It might just be the case that Arya is highlighting all the flaws of production, but I listened to this music before on Sundaras and it didn't seem so unnaturally bight/fatiguing. I guess I can live with it, but I would need another headphone that's way less bright, something like LCD-X maybe??

May 2, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #9,771 of 11,883
Off the top of my head - Iron Maiden song 'Moonchild', David Bowie 'Earthling' (whole album), Whitesnake 1987, Killing Joke 'Money Is Not Our God', almost every Rush album, most of Devin Townsend etc.

It might just be the case that Arya is highlighting all the flaws of production, but I listened to this music before on Sundaras and it didn't seem so unnaturally bight/fatiguing. I guess I can live with it, but I would need another headphone that's way less bright, something like LCD-X maybe??
Wait a bit, have you put 100+ hrs on the Arya yet? You really need to work that diaphragm. Your examples all sound good, and the Rush in particular is some of the top recordings too. The Arya, really opens up as you break it in. Think i'm going to be listening to Rush this morning, thanks 8) great slam.

May 2, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #9,772 of 11,883
Wait a bit, have you put 100+ hrs on the Arya yet? You really need to work that diaphragm. Your examples all sound good, and the Rush in particular is some of the top recordings too. The Arya, really opens up as you break it in. Think i'm going to be listening to Rush this morning, thanks 8) great slam.

I think I have around 100 hrs, for sure. Been playing them daily for the last month. Didn't use any 'burning' tools though, like pink noise etc. I know Hifiman recommends 150 hrs, so I will definitely wait. As I said, mostly Aryas are phenomenal - listening to ambient (Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Lustmord, Rod Modell/Deepchord etc.) is absolute bliss. Dub, psychill, classical, world music - blows your mind!

May 2, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #9,773 of 11,883
Get a warm amp, that helps. But they're never not gonna be that hot for metal/rock IMO. Check out a warm headphone alternatively.

I usually listen to singer songwriters or indie so don't care, but I was listening to siamese dream (2011) today and damn it's got some sharpness to it. Not unbearable for me tho. I just switch to the Empys when this is an issue for me. Always good to have complimentary amps/headphones, or ways to warm up the sound (Tubes, etc).

I always thought Grados were great for Rock. Sold my RS1 so I could get a Utopia back in the day, but it had that great forward live sound on it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #9,774 of 11,883

My test track for sharp sibilance is Stormrider by Iced Earth. Stock FR was just on the edge of tolerable. Have you tried oratory1990 EQ settings ?

May 2, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #9,775 of 11,883
I find my arya stealths to be a ball of sound, tall wide and deep. But I really think a lot has to do with your chain.
I use a Jotunheim 2 and a Feliks Audio Echo, with a Bifrost 2. I mean I've always enjoyed the Arya's soundstage and presentation, and never thought that it was lacking in any way. It's just that after some time with the HD800s, I just preferred the Sennheiser's overall sound. I used to have an Asgard 3, but I don't think I had either of these cans at that time.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #9,776 of 11,883
Yes - a hair wider. No - not much. However, you might not even notice this difference in soundstage because it's almost negligent. Consider the difference in soundstage as follows:
HD800s---------------->Arya V2->Arya Stealth

If you want more punch then no. The Arya does not exceed the HD800s in punch and slam. Otherwise it would be a nice complement since the Arya has more body imo and a different character due to the planar tech vs dynamic. The soundstage will not be as wide as the HD800s. Look, you have to test listen to the headphone in a store if you want to assess it yourself and compare. There is no workaround. You can't rely on comments here if you ask such questions.
Wanted to try a Verite Open but there is nowhere to try ZMFs here. And yeah, I agree with you on the difference in soundstage between the HD800s and the Arya Stealth, thought the earlier versions of the Arya's had a much wider stage, but I guess not. Thanks for your insight.

May 3, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #9,777 of 11,883
I've been thinking about picking up a third high end can, but after the Arya Stealth its hard to justify cans in the 3k range and that's basically where you have to go to get something as good. I don't want to waste money trading up to another hifiman, the Susvara is ridiculously overpriced and has power issues, and I'm not buying anything with comfort issues like any of the Abyss or Audeze headphones. At that price you'd better be able to pull off comfort like the Empy/Elite or Hifiman headphones can.

Nothings really moved me yet I'm waiting for something really exciting to hit the market. I'm also really happy with my Dac amp setup and getting a nicer amp is more expensive than buying a 4k+ headphone. Don't want any Mid-Fi stuff, as I know what the trade offs will be. But the high/high end, stuff like Auris, or the Chord Dave / Mscaler, or Holo Audio May is really up there sadly.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #9,778 of 11,883
I've been thinking about picking up a third high end can, but after the Arya Stealth its hard to justify cans in the 3k range and that's basically where you have to go to get something as good. I don't want to waste money trading up to another hifiman, the Susvara is ridiculously overpriced and has power issues, and I'm not buying anything with comfort issues like any of the Abyss or Audeze headphones. At that price you'd better be able to pull off comfort like the Empy/Elite or Hifiman headphones can.

Nothings really moved me yet I'm waiting for something really exciting to hit the market. I'm also really happy with my Dac amp setup and getting a nicer amp is more expensive than buying a 4k+ headphone. Don't want any Mid-Fi stuff, as I know what the trade offs will be. But the high/high end, stuff like Auris, or the Chord Dave / Mscaler, or Holo Audio May is really up there sadly.
I understand you completely. I have audited and demoed other can’s that go beyond the Arya Stealth, but they were all in the 3k range or close to it.

May 3, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #9,779 of 11,883
Hi all, I'm fortunate enough to be having another demo session of the HFM HE1000 and 1000SE this Friday. I've watched all the YouTube reviews and descriptions so I know what to expect to some extent, but there is some information that I simply can't find anywhere. I wondered if anyone could shed some light on it?;
The 1000 (V3) has stealth magnets and a nanometer diaphragm, so does the 1000SE.
What physical difference is there between the two that a) changes the frequency response/sensitivity/impedance and b) justifies the additional cost?
From my research (demo to confirm of course), the SE is slightly flatter in response with a less 'bitey' top end but according to one source at least, the technical differences between the two are practically identical.
Could I not simply use something like the Mojo 2 to drop the top and bottom ends a couple of dB and end up with the same thing?
Your opinions and thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

May 3, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #9,780 of 11,883
Hi all, I'm fortunate enough to be having another demo session of the HFM HE1000 and 1000SE this Friday. I've watched all the YouTube reviews and descriptions so I know what to expect to some extent, but there is some information that I simply can't find anywhere. I wondered if anyone could shed some light on it?;
The 1000 (V3) has stealth magnets and a nanometer diaphragm, so does the 1000SE.
What physical difference is there between the two that a) changes the frequency response/sensitivity/impedance and b) justifies the additional cost?
From my research (demo to confirm of course), the SE is slightly flatter in response with a less 'bitey' top end but according to one source at least, the technical differences between the two are practically identical.
Could I not simply use something like the Mojo 2 to drop the top and bottom ends a couple of dB and end up with the same thing?
Your opinions and thoughts would be greatly welcomed.
It really just comes down to your budget. My opinion is that the amount of money that must change hands to get "relatively minor" improvements (and perhaps even some things that are worse!) is not actually worth the cost at the high end, objectively.

However, if "money is not an object" ie, the difference between 1000, 2000 and 3000 doesn't matter to you "at this time" then I always suggest getting the highest end one you can get. because otherwise you'll always be thinking about it. And it's better, that's why they want more money for it.

Whether its actually worth that 1000 or 2000 more is probably "No". But if you don't care about that 1000 or it's not going to matter, then you should go for the better one. My 2 cents. Bragging rights alone are worth easily 500. right ? lol :)

I only got the Aryas becasue they were less than 2 grand. I have spent 3 grand on headphones a few times and I am not super keen to do it again (although probably will at some point). So to me, 1300 for their performance is a steal. That might not be the situation you're in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back