HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #7,246 of 11,944
Hello everyone,

I've been using a Sundara for 1 year, and before that I was a very big fan of AKG headphones (I tend to like headphones a bit bright).
I really love how the Sundara sounds, but I'd like to "upgrade" it (for example I don't think it's confortable, it tends to hurt my ears after a while).
So I've been looking into the Arya Stealth.
I was able to try one in a store, on a Ifi Audio Pro Ican Signature (I also tried my own Sundara on this amp, since I didn't know how this amp sounds ; at home I have a Cayin IHA-6).
And unfortunately I didn't like it : on a song in particular (, the basses start to hit at ~51s ; I did the test with the CD version), the basses sounded too loud, almost painful. Instead of being well integrated into the song, they sounded too forward. Ironically I like to listen to this song loudly (because of the chorus), and I like basses.
I guess I could EQ them to lower the basses, but I think it's a very limited solution (only work on computer ; and even if I get a DAC with an integrated EQ, it won't work if I use an analogic source).
I'm not sure about what to do. Maybe it's a bad choice of song to test headphones (but it's a song I often listen :x). Or maybe I'm just used to bright headphones and I could get used to more basses ?

Thanks for your advice.

Maybe you've just heard the bass in your song as it's meant to be heard via the Arya and it's just not what you've been used to with the AKGs and Sundaras. Listening to a different HP (with a different sound signature and different capabilities) can be anywhere from utter elation to utter disgust and anywhere in between - that is, until you get used to their new sound signature. It's why some folks can listen to Beats, Bose, or Gaming HPs and hear those as "accurate" but when they listen to much higher performing and accurate HPs they balk at what sounds like less bass (that's actually just tighter and truer to the source) and too bright highs (that's really just extended treble). They have become used to bloated, mushy, flabby bass and soft or rolled-off trebles with an accompanying midrange peak or dip. It takes time to acclimatize to new or different HPs just like it takes time to acclimatize to a different environment.

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #7,249 of 11,944
Hello everyone,

I've been using a Sundara for 1 year, and before that I was a very big fan of AKG headphones (I tend to like headphones a bit bright).
I really love how the Sundara sounds, but I'd like to "upgrade" it (for example I don't think it's confortable, it tends to hurt my ears after a while).
So I've been looking into the Arya Stealth.
I was able to try one in a store, on a Ifi Audio Pro Ican Signature (I also tried my own Sundara on this amp, since I didn't know how this amp sounds ; at home I have a Cayin IHA-6).
And unfortunately I didn't like it : on a song in particular (, the basses start to hit at ~51s ; I did the test with the CD version), the basses sounded too loud, almost painful. Instead of being well integrated into the song, they sounded too forward. Ironically I like to listen to this song loudly (because of the chorus), and I like basses.
I guess I could EQ them to lower the basses, but I think it's a very limited solution (only work on computer ; and even if I get a DAC with an integrated EQ, it won't work if I use an analogic source).
I'm not sure about what to do. Maybe it's a bad choice of song to test headphones (but it's a song I often listen :x). Or maybe I'm just used to bright headphones and I could get used to more basses ?

Thanks for your advice.

I hadn't listened to the song you posted when I made my first comments (too much multitasking). The Arya will make well recorded and mixed/mastered songs sound phenominal. It will also will make not so well recorded/mixed songs sound like *ss. It will sound like the song sounds for the most part. The song you posted is not well recorded, mixed, or mastered and sounds like poo. Compressed, processed, and no dynamic range. Try some well recorded CD quality or Hi Rez musics to see the contrast...

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #7,250 of 11,944
Hi all thinking of getting either the HIFIMAN Arya stealth / FOCAL MG or MG professional to use with my IFI diablo dac/amp any experience of these combos at all? thanks mat

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #7,251 of 11,944
Hi all thinking of getting either the HIFIMAN Arya stealth / FOCAL MG or MG professional to use with my IFI diablo dac/amp any experience of these combos at all? thanks mat
Well as far as pure sound quality and technicality goes your probably better off with the Arya, but keep in mind the Arya was designed to be just that, Hifiman chose to cut out design and durability when making the Arya to keep its price down, it’s strictly sound that your paying for with the Arya, now in my experience the focals are well built and will more than likely hold up longer than the Arya while looking amazing at the same time. Pros and cons to weigh out.

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #7,252 of 11,944
Very different presentation between them. Try to state your preferences clearly first, that will help you figure out which one to go for.

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #7,253 of 11,944
Very different presentation between them. Try to state your preferences clearly first, that will help you figure out which one to go for.
am new to the headphone game so just learning am enjoying the hifiman amandas but being a naim guy i do like PRAT, sub bass thump, and microdetails if that helps?

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #7,254 of 11,944
If you want thump/impact/slam, go with Focal. PRAT and microdetails are gibberish words made up by salesmen. Microdetails might mean low level signals, in that case, you'd want a low impedance headphone. Both the Focal and Arya have around the same impedance so should be pretty similar in letting low level (most likely garbage/interference) signals through like EMI. In this case, "microdetails" are bad, which is a case for using higher impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #7,255 of 11,944
am new to the headphone game so just learning am enjoying the hifiman amandas but being a naim guy i do like PRAT, sub bass thump, and microdetails if that helps?
I auditioned both headphones last weekend. The Focals are detailed and hit hard, they don't seem to stage very big, you are reminded that you are listening to headphones. The hard impact on drums was a bit too much for me. I felt that the strong dynamics almost masked the rest of the musical presentation.

I very much liked the Arya Stealth, so much so that I am thinking it will be my next headphone purchase. Everything was just so balanced and the overall technical ability made for a very engaging and pleasant listen.

Now, this is just how I heard them based on my personal preferences. There's no guarantee that you will feel the same. Listening first is the best advice I can give. They are both good headphones.

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #7,256 of 11,944
"The Focals....they don't seem to stage very big....you are reminded that you are listening to headphones." This is why I steered clear of the Clears. I wanted a more transformative listening experience at a price that I could reasonably afford and since I owned the Anandas, the Arya was the logical next step up in level. Clears may have a more premium feel or more solid build but for me the sound is most important. Besides, the Arya is purpose built to be lightweight and has metal where it counts, IMO - the headband, slider adjustments, and inside the yokes. If you already own the Anandas and like them, the Aryas will be that much more of a complete listening experience while having some of the same technicalities and similar sound signature - but the Arya sounds quite a bit more fleshed out compared to the Ananda's somewhat "skeletal" presentation. Of course, as I hear both of them...

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #7,257 of 11,944
The Hagerman Tuba works well to increase the soundstage of the Clears, same with brain burn-in, to the point where their soundstage sounds normal.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #7,258 of 11,944
If you read my impressions comparing to the 800s that I just posted, I said the same thing. They're wide with decent depth and a large sound but the Soundstage is nothing compared to the 800s. The Arya need a good class A amp however to sound their best, and you should definitely EQ to tame the high
and increase the bass.

When I had the HE1000 V2 here, some years ago, I wished that they'd put the design into a Edition X chassis and sell it cheaper. Thankfully they did! The interesting thing is, my impressions of the Arya Stealth, so far, are like that of the HEKV2, in that they can sound quite weak on lowly amplification, unless you listen at only very low volumes.

For reference:

Tube amps shouldn't change the sound signature given how flat the impedance is.

What kind of "tube amp"? An OTL tube amp? A transformer-coupled one, or a hybrid? An OTL will be no good with low-impedance headphones as the output impedance of the amplifier will be too high to control the drivers. That is why people will report bloated bass out of amps such as the BHC etc. Transformer-coupled and hybrid amps avoid this problem by using, respectively, transformers and a solid state output stage. It has nothing to do with Class A.

Maybe you've just heard the bass in your song as it's meant to be heard via the Arya and it's just not what you've been used to with the AKGs and Sundaras. Listening to a different HP (with a different sound signature and different capabilities) can be anywhere from utter elation to utter disgust and anywhere in between - that is, until you get used to their new sound signature. It's why some folks can listen to Beats, Bose, or Gaming HPs and hear those as "accurate" but when they listen to much higher performing and accurate HPs they balk at what sounds like less bass (that's actually just tighter and truer to the source) and too bright highs (that's really just extended treble). They have become used to bloated, mushy, flabby bass and soft or rolled-off trebles with an accompanying midrange peak or dip. It takes time to acclimatize to new or different HPs just like it takes time to acclimatize to a different environment.

There's no such thing as "as it's meant to be heard". The later comment talking about how it was recorded/mastered with less bass is spot-on. It's easier to appreciate a wider variety of music with headphones that have some degree of bass boost or bass bloom, as a lot of stuff simply wasn't mastered with sufficient bass. Maybe the label or recording engineer assumed, for example, that it would be played back on headphones or the like that have a lot of bass already.

Well as far as pure sound quality and technicality goes your probably better off with the Arya, but keep in mind the Arya was designed to be just that, Hifiman chose to cut out design and durability when making the Arya to keep its price down, it’s strictly sound that your paying for with the Arya, now in my experience the focals are well built and will more than likely hold up longer than the Arya while looking amazing at the same time. Pros and cons to weigh out.

Much of the problem is likely the very thin drivers. They are designed for home use, and should be moved around with care.

If you want thump/impact/slam, go with Focal. PRAT and microdetails are gibberish words made up by salesmen. Microdetails might mean low level signals, in that case, you'd want a low impedance headphone. Both the Focal and Arya have around the same impedance so should be pretty similar in letting low level (most likely garbage/interference) signals through like EMI. In this case, "microdetails" are bad, which is a case for using higher impedance headphones.

Impedance has no bearing on the level of details that a headphone can resolve. Nor, for that matter, does SINAD, which is grossly more abused by a handful of companies, who design equipment with compromised designs, purely to top someone's SINAD chart.

I have a small number of recordings which I have yet to find equipment so good that I can no longer hear more into how the sound echo's around the room, or the extreme subtleties of things such as the bow moving across a violin string, or the decay of notes played on a piano.

But, back to the Aryas, I thought had the V2 here, but it turns out, when I checked the box, it was the Stealth, and I hadn't realised. If I had, I would have reviewed them sooner. I have a stack of mid-range amps here (Singxer, Soncoz, Jot) so I'll see how they sound out of those. Those amps tend towards being a slight touch "warm", which might be a good combo with the Arya.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #7,259 of 11,944
But, back to the Aryas, I thought had the V2 here, but it turns out, when I checked the box, it was the Stealth, and I hadn't realised. If I had, I would have reviewed them sooner. I have a stack of mid-range amps here (Singxer, Soncoz, Jot) so I'll see how they sound out of those. Those amps tend towards being a slight touch "warm", which might be a good combo with the Arya.
Looking forward to your review! I'm sure a lot of people will be curious to see which of those amps you prefer with the Arya. They definitely respond well to higher quality gear, but those are some top picks in the mid-range price bracket.

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #7,260 of 11,944
When I had the HE1000 V2 here, some years ago, I wished that they'd put the design into a Edition X chassis and sell it cheaper. Thankfully they did! The interesting thing is, my impressions of the Arya Stealth, so far, are like that of the HEKV2, in that they can sound quite weak on lowly amplification, unless you listen at only very low volumes.

For reference:

What kind of "tube amp"? An OTL tube amp? A transformer-coupled one, or a hybrid? An OTL will be no good with low-impedance headphones as the output impedance of the amplifier will be too high to control the drivers. That is why people will report bloated bass out of amps such as the BHC etc. Transformer-coupled and hybrid amps avoid this problem by using, respectively, transformers and a solid state output stage. It has nothing to do with Class A.

There's no such thing as "as it's meant to be heard". The later comment talking about how it was recorded/mastered with less bass is spot-on. It's easier to appreciate a wider variety of music with headphones that have some degree of bass boost or bass bloom, as a lot of stuff simply wasn't mastered with sufficient bass. Maybe the label or recording engineer assumed, for example, that it would be played back on headphones or the like that have a lot of bass already.

Much of the problem is likely the very thin drivers. They are designed for home use, and should be moved around with care.

Impedance has no bearing on the level of details that a headphone can resolve. Nor, for that matter, does SINAD, which is grossly more abused by a handful of companies, who design equipment with compromised designs, purely to top someone's SINAD chart.

I have a small number of recordings which I have yet to find equipment so good that I can no longer hear more into how the sound echo's around the room, or the extreme subtleties of things such as the bow moving across a violin string, or the decay of notes played on a piano.

Maybe a better phrase would've been: "as it is" instead of how it's meant to be heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back